Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to post in the What's for dinner thread every day for the accountability. However, often I find I don,t have time to come here and post between work, daycare, dinner prep etc... Also I usually do most meal prep on Sundays to make my life easier during the week. So I thought I'd start this What will you be eating this week thread as a spin off of the what's for dinner thread. I'll post my plan here and update near the end of the week with how well it has gone.

First off, I made a big batch of Morning Glory oatmeal, had some for breaksfast today, and I have enough for all my breaksfast this week (I eat at work so I'll pack everything in individual sizes and will just need to grab and go in the mornings)

Monday: sort-of strogonof with burger crumbles, lots of mushrooms, spinach in a dairy free bechamel over noodles
Tuesday: baked tofu and oven fries with a big cut up veggie plate
Wednesday: I'm going to dinner with a friend and will pull out shepperd's pie from the freezer for dh an dd
Thursday: pulled pork over baked potatoes with a plate of raw veggies
Friday: L-O
Saturday: homemade pizza.

TOday I will: -prep and cut all the veggies for the week.
-cube the tofu and mix it with the spices
-pull out the burger crumbles from freezer and place in the fridge so they can thaw for tomorrow night.

What about you? How do you handle your food prep? Does anyone prep in advance like me?

I hope it's ok to post where I did, wasn't sure where else it would be appropriate.

Reactions: hikr00

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Saturday was pi day 3.1415
So we celebrated with round foods

Lunch was pizza
Dinner was hamburgers on whole wheat bun

Hubby even had round breakfast I guess I did to a bowl of hot oat bran cereal in a round bOwl

Sunday lunch is make your own salad
Dinner is pork chops and Brussels sprouts

Monday crockpot chicken fajita soup

St Patrick's day will be corned beef and cabbagE

Wednesday dinner is Rubens with leftover corned beef and sweet potato wedges roasted baked in the oven

Thurs day salmon and veggies

Fri spring break visit from my mom she is treating us to dinner

Reactions: Mrs K

·
Registered
671 Posts
DH and I are both retired so I don't do a whole lot of prepping ahead like I used to when I was working (and when DD was little). If we have stuff coming up that week that makes it hectic I will try to prepare ahead whatever I can but that's rare usually.

I'm currently working on this week's plan.
Tonight is leftover spaghetti and meatballs / garlic bread
Monday: Chicken parm sandwiches (using the extra spag sauce)
Tuesday: Crock pot beef stew
Wed: Leftover beef stew
Thurs: Chicken...I have a ton of chicken in freezer so I need to use it but I'm not sure yet how I'll cook it.
Friday: Out to eat
Saturday: Baked beans and biscuits unless there's leftovers in which case we will finish those up.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Here's the plan for this week starting Thurs, my shopping day, in no particular order:

Steak+cheese subs with chips or fries (homemade, and a rare treat for us, but one of hubby's faves. Ingredients are on sale this week)'
Homemade mac and cheese, salad
chicken, rice, veggie of some sort
steak, baked sw. potato, salad
pork roast with carrots and potatoes
Spaghetti
chili

I will skip the mac+cheese and spaghetti nights and have chicken or fish for myself as I try to get off the last 15-20 lbs. The chili is really for me- I love it, my family could take it or leave it. This will be maybe the 3rd time I've made it this winter and I'd like to enjoy it one more time this season. I will eat the steak +cheese (next weekend, probably) but pass on the fries or chips. There should be enough leftovers throughout the week for hubby to bring to work.

Tonight is hamburger helper and salad for everyone else, grilled chicken salad wrap for me. I cannot recall the next few nights after that without checking the fridge!

I generally meal plan based on what's on hand paired with what's on sale, and buy extras during sales.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Khaski: I meal plan in a similar way, except I also factor in the business of the different evening. Say I know hubby will finish work late, or I have an extra busy week coming along, I'll plan thigns that just need reheating or stuff in the crockpot that just needs to be served. Makes my like much easier on those crazy weeknight sprints!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Today I made
carrot & applesauce muffins
brownies
chicken parm meatloaf
mashed potato
veggies

Since it is just me the dinner will last me a couple of days, the muffins can be for breakfast or lunch.
Other meals options for this week are:
eggs, homefries toast
pancakes with blueberries
quesadilla's
pizza

I am thawing out a small container of homemade soup for lunches. I have cereal for breakfast if I don't want a muffin.
I like having options it helps me not waste food

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I am kinda loosy-goosy w/ the planning lately
L.o. french toast and link sausage for breakfast ans hot dogs for dinner-today

This week
I want to make a few things from Budget Bytes site like dragon noodles
I was wanting to make a veg soup and try H.M. bread in the machine again
I will make corned beef and potatoes for St. Pattys' Day and maybe brownies
I have pork pieces I need to make I got on clearance
Playing it by energy.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yesterday had chicken/veg/rice soup..in slow cooker.. Today corn beef can cabbage. Going to be gone tomorrow so will be what you can find. Not sure the rest of the week.. Thursday will be slow cooker something as I work that night.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally back for an update: you know what they say about the best laid plans...
Last week was dismal to say the least.

I ended up NOT prepping like I was supposed to plus it was a crazy busy week... results: Ate out on Monday, had the pulled pork on Tuesday, went out with a friend on Wednesday, had the burger crumbles with a bag of frozen veggies all sauteed together on Thursday and hubby insisted on take out pizza on Friday. Went grocery shopping yesterday and made paella beacause I craved it.
Plus, I ended up eating lunch at the cafeteria because of no leftovers and no time to cook/prepare something.

BUT: this week is already off to a good start.
I made a batch of breakfast cookies and have washed an prepped fruit to go with.
I chopped mushrooms for the pseudo-stroganof and chopped to-be-used brocoli for chicken and brocoli divan.
Will also have soup from the freezer and spaghetti with sauce from the freezer.
FInally, one night of leftovers.

How about you guys?

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Sat Lunch Tuna Salad and Baby Carrots
Sat D Grill out Brats and Homemade Coleslaw
Sun L Meatloaf and Veggies
Sun d Stir Fry veggies
Mon Keibalsa and Cabbage
Tue Mexican Chicken
Wed Pork Chops and Qunioa
Thurs Tuna Noddle Casserole
Fri Turkey Feta Basil Burger

Reactions: Mrs K

·
Registered
126 Posts
Week of 3/22/15:

I won't say which days will get what food because I'll change my mind but here's what I'm doing:

Breakfasts:
Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal (Made a big batch yesterday and tried it today. It's pretty gross and today's will be thrown out. I'll try to repurpose the rest at home.)
toast and eggs with homemade bread

Lunches and Dinners:
Linguine in Blushing Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
serving of leftover veggie pasta from work
coconut lentil soup (from the freezer) and roasted carrots
pasta fazul, vegan mac and "cheese" with peas, or baked spaghetti if I run out of other stuff

Snacks:
carrots and hummus
bananas
banana wheat germ muffins

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Last night I made baked sweet and sour chicken w/ brown rice and veggie egg rolls (store bought). Not including tonight I believe I have two more servings for dinner. I may cook some broccoli to go with it tomorrow.

That will bring us to Thursday...homemade pizza
Friday will be leftover pizza
Saturday will be either eggs, home fries and toast or blueberry pancakes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts