Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turkey, stuffing, potatoes, and gravy are traditional staples of the meal. What else do you and your family share or enjoy for this holiday?

I love cranberries and always make a sauce. This year I think I'll try this variation, with some of the sour cherries I have from my friend's yard. Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cherries

We are also invited to a Friendsgiving meal, and have been warned not to bring anything with cinnamon, nutmeg, pie spice, etc due to a severe allergy. So I'm thinking a vegetable side dish.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I always roast a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn. Also yeast rolls…must have yeast rolls. I usually serve apple pie and pumpkin pie for dessert.

My niece hosts our whole family on Thanksgiving and she serves the above buffet style. Everyone contributes something “snacky” like appetizers, chips, dips, cookies, fruit, crackers and cheese. So it’s a pretty food heavy day! I usually make our Thanksgiving dinner for dh and I on the day after Thanksgiving. Dd and the family is always with us at my nieces house so we celebrate then with her and that way she can go to her in laws to celebrate the day after.

We always watch “ National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” on Thanksgiving night.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
This year I'm doing a turkey and tenderloin beef roast. I'm also making lobster mac & cheese and some traditional side dishes. I'm having three guests. For dessert, I'll have a deep dish apple pie and some cookies. This is my cranberry sauce recipe I make every year.

Last week I made cookie dough for several recipes, pumpkin bread (frozen now) and lemon cake (also frozen now.)

Kim’s Cranberry Sauce

2 cups fresh cranberries
½ cup apple juice (unsweetened)
½ cup honey
½ cup chopped pears
½ cup chopped pecans
2 Tablespoons grated orange zest

Cook cranberries, apple juice and honey in pot and let simmer for 5 minutes, until the cranberries pop. Remove.
Add the rest of the ingredients and let cool at room temperature then refrigerate.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I can't remember the last time I cooked a Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving. Since it's just dh and I, we have gone to ihop and last year tried Black Bear Diner. We were going to go there again this year, but ds invited us over for dinner. Dgd really wants us to come. So I guess that's what we're doing. I'm definitely making pies. Not sure what I'm taking this year. Probably some pie, ice cream and whipped cream.

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a great price, Hikr!

We had our first turkey dinner the other night. Bacon wrapped breast filet with stuffing and gravy, baked butternut squash, and cranberry sauce. It was sooo good.

This week we are having turkey and cranberry ravioli with gravy, green beans, and corn casserole.

Reactions: marthamfi
1 - 12 of 12 Posts