Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've lived awhile, and seen a lot of changes, been through recessions and wars and race riots...all kinds of crap!

We've been down and up, rich and poor, rich again, and poor again.

So out of all of that, what are you most proud of, other than raising your kids?

I guess I'd have to say it's being a survivor, and being able and willing to cut things to the bone to make it when everyone thinks I won't be able to. I've done without so much, that having anything makes me nervous sometimes.

My kids are just like me...survivors. They've both been through a lot, and come out on top, and I'm so proud of them. I didn't purposely raise them like that, but I guess they learned it from me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Interesting thread.
I am pretty proud of how far I have come, with the support of my parents of course to help me: I had my daughter when I was right out of high school, brief marriage to her dad-the-loser and then divorced. I managed to to to college, get a degree and carve a good career in a decent industry and I now make pretty good money. Have managed to do Ok for myself, my daughter was well provided for, and I worked hard for what I have. That being said,...I am will be losing my job shortly (lay offs) but am looking around and hope that I will end up on top. Have made it this far!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I guess it would be never being afraid of new ideas and when my convictions did change, to make the life changes, and several were radical, that were necessary to get life and thought realigned. Doing what was right for me, however it may have looked to others.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Hmmm....besides my kids, eh?

I guess that I was the first one in my family on either side (mom's or dad's) to get an education past HS. I became a nurse. While I was putting myself through school, my dad kept telling me 'You're trying to be something you're not.' How's that for encouragement, huh? And I was out on my own, working and paying for everything, not even living under his roof. At 18.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I would like to think it is to have become the person that I am. I try to be the best person I can be and to be someone that I would like to have as a friend and someone that my family can be proud of. :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'm proud of my optimism. I've come across many negative people, but I continue to let my light shine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am most proud of my independent spirit and my genuine compassion for others. I was married at 18, had DD at 20, divorced at 21. Built a career to support DD and me while focusing always on being Mom. Like everyone else, have weathered storms: the passing of loved ones, job loss, divorce, daily ups and downs.... As bad as some of the 'downs' were, the 'ups' always work to heal. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other with a prayer in my heart.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Being able to help my family when in need. Be a place to stay, money for gas or food. Atm, my brother and nephew have moved back in with us as we had a room.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Raising my three kids on my own, no child support. Teaching them to do the next right thing. Working with other women to make the world a better place for women and children. Worked on women's employment issues for 20 years.

Having my children see some of what I've accomplished (they thought everybody's mom was in the newspaper and on tv LOL).

Teaching them to be responsible, compassionate and what it feels like to be loved unconditionally.

Making my kids and friends laugh, and enjoying and appreciating the good times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts