Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the grand opening of a new grocery store in our neighborhood, Hannaford. We live in the middle of nowhere & it's a shock that they actually built here. It is very welcome because I can now walk 15 min instead of driving 30+ miles to go grocery shopping.:yippee:
They are having all kinds of things going on to celebrate, one being at 7 this morning a flag raising then the first 300 people in line get a free gift card which will be between $5 and $250.
I'd love to have one of those but hate big crowds so I'm going to stay away til Monday when the hoopla & crowds die down. Would you be there?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I guess it depends...if I was already up (which normally I'm not) and out that way, then sure! BUT normally I'd be hiding out at home like you hiding away from the crowds. I value my sanity vs standing in line in hopes of getting that one high value gc :lol: My frugal skills have gotten me this far right? ;)

·
8,714 Posts
~I probably wouldn't go stand in line but DH might. He's always up early and he has the patience of Job.
I don't usually do anything like that to get a good deal. I prefer to just be patient and wait until my price comes along.
How far I will go to get a great deal is a bit dependant on a lifetime of my dad's advice about being safe while shopping. There are several stores I would love to check out the bargains at but they all seem to be adjacent to liquor stores and broken down bus stops where hoards of creepy looking people hang out. And the parking lots always seem to have garbage strewn all over. Too shady for me.~

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My MIL and FIL will drive clear across town, stand in long lines for long periods, of time, etc. for a grand opening in the hopes of winning something. They have never won anything huge.

I did it a couple of times with MIL and said NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I don't do anything at 7am.

I will put up with a well behaved crowd, or stand in line, for some things. Depends on how much I want it and how good the deal is.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I don't do 7 am either, and I'm not very good with standing in line or being in large crowds. I figure my sanity is worth more than any gift or prize they might be giving away.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I guess I would depend on my mood that morning.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'd be more curious and excited to see the new store than to stand in the line for any prizes. How cool to have one that close to you now, Darlene! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I don't get up early to shop. I don't mind standing in line if I have to, like at the checkout, but I wouldn't go to a store if I had to stand in line just to get in.

·
2,688 Posts
I would try it at 7 am. :)
If if looked too busy, I would try to get out of there early.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I do go to grand opening sales because their prices are greaat on those loss leaders. I would not stand in a loooooooong line to get a $5 card. I am not crazy about crowds and I hate traffic soooo I usually get up early and shop before most people would be out. This isn't just for sales like this; I do this all the time.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to see most are like me and not want to be in the craziness of it all, makes me feel a little better. I really am excited to have it so close & hubby had to leave the house early to help his parents so I walked the dog past it. It was busy but not overly so at 8:30am. The community around is so glad not to have to travel so far for ffod & prescriptions. I'll be going tomorrow and they have some nice coupons to use for the rest of the month. $10 off $50 is a nice one and there are others. I applied & interviewed for a job but didn't get it, I know they had tons of applicants (held over 3 full days) so will just bide my time. I WILL get a job there.;)

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Nope, I worked at Walmart one year during Black Friday and over Christmas. Loved it. However as a customer I don't like being ran over for what would be a $5 card ( my luck ) and people pushing me. I get mad to easy.

OR could end up being the 301st person...that would really suck.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Today is the grand opening of a new grocery store in our neighborhood, Hannaford. We live in the middle of nowhere & it's a shock that they actually built here. It is very welcome because I can now walk 15 min instead of driving 30+ miles to go grocery shopping.:yippee:
They are having all kinds of things going on to celebrate, one being at 7 this morning a flag raising then the first 300 people in line get a free gift card which will be between $5 and $250.
I'd love to have one of those but hate big crowds so I'm going to stay away til Monday when the hoopla & crowds die down. Would you be there?
Probably not...don't really care for big crowds either.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I place a very, very high price on my time, especially if it cuts into my sleeping time. In your instance, no, I would not go to the grocery store. Besides, when the general public has the potential to get something for free, the general public loses all sight of civility.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got back from shopping there & it was pretty busy. I was talking to the cashier and she said it was nutso over the weekend so I really am glad I stayed away. By waiting til Monday I got to shop, taking my time, not get run over, could hear myself think & found all kinds of marked down meat.;) I still got to use my $10 off $50 plus I found a website that turned me on to a couple more extra free coupons to use this trip.

Oh I was thrilled to actually be able to buy my sugar free popcicles. I never by them because living where I do (and that 30 miles before) even with a cooler by the time I get home they are all melty. Now with the store so close I get to have all the frozen treats I want. :D

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I wouldn't have gone for a chance at a $5 gift card. Not worth the early hour and crowds.

I have gone to Joann fabrics on Black Friday in the past though. I was there before 6 AM for 99 cent flannel. At least the line there was mostly well-behaved ;)

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great deal on the flannel Michelle & ya probably was a calmer crowd. ;) I wouldn't go for the $5 either, it was the chance at the $250 that had me going should I shouldn't I. Na, I made the right call.

·
19,119 Posts
Yup, you sure did Darlene!!

I would not have gone, I've never gone to a grand opening anywhere. Don't do Black Fridays either. Don't like crowds - unless it's going to the theaterr for a play.

There is a group of regulars here on Maui who take all of their children to every grand (re)opening anywhere on the island and they have a great time - get free hot dogs and balloons - so happy for them - not for me!!

Great going on the sugar free popsicles!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts