Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your cheapest recipes? They don’t have to be the greatest thing, just the cheapest.

Spaghetti Noodles .33
Can of tomatoes .33
Italian seasonings .01
-.76 for one person

Egg noodles .26
Fake Velveeta .60
Can of Tuna .33

- 1.19 for two people

Haha, im obviously Italian.

·
Registered
426 Posts
newly discovered for us:
Red beans and rice

and of course pasta dishes

·
Registered
467 Posts
Baked potato topped with chili and sprinkle of cheese.

Cheese omlette and toast.

Now don't laugh, but I eat this one lots--Open a can of blackbeans, drain and a couple of tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Best if you just eat it from the can. I love this.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Pasta-.33
Sauce-.99
Makes about 4 servings
(.33 for one person)

Hamburger Mac Casserole
Hamburger (small portion ground beef)- 1.38
Store brand box of mac & cheese- .29
Store brand tomato soup-.43
Store brand can of corn-.35
Makes about 2 (possibly 3) good sized servings
(1.23 or less for one person)

Breakfast for dinner is alway inexpensive too:
Scratch pancakes
Scrambled eggs

Homemade crockpot mac & cheese:
Cheese (4 cups) ~$4
Evaporated milk (1 can)-.30
1/2 cup milk-.08
2 eggs-.14
Elbow noodles-.50
Makes about 4 good sized servings or more
($1.26 for one person or less)

Chocolate pumpkin muffins:
Store brand cake mix- .79
15oz canned pumpkin-.99
One egg beaten-.07
(Makes 18 muffins ~.10 per muffin)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Tuna casserole - 2 boxes of mac and cheese (.66)
1 can of tuna (.66)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (.75)
2.07 total- feeding 4 people is 52 cents a person

Veggie soup
4 cans of veggies (corn, green beans, peas, potatoes - .33 each)(1.32)
1 can diced tomatoes (.65)
1 can tomato paste (.33)
2.30 a batch- usually makes enough for 6 - 8 people (.38 per person)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
- Chicken Alfredo
1 bag of egg noodles or a box of fetuccine
1 jar of creamy alfredo sauce
chicken cooked then taken off the bone

Pretty simple, I use the egg noodles because the bag is only like 70 cents, the sauce is like $2 and the chicken it depends what you can get, I get the family pack chicken legs for $3.50, this meal usually lasts us 2-3 dinners, so approx. $2.05 per person for 1 nights dinner or $1.02 per person for 2 nights dinner or 51 cents for 3 nights dinner per person.

- White Rice and Pink Beans - 50-60 cents per person
- Tuna with Egg Noodles, Mayo and spices - 62 cents per person
- Soup and Sandwiches - 50 cents per person probably less.

I have a store near me that sells lunch meat, 1 lb packs for $1, Cup of soup boxes for $1 and bread for 65cents a loaf.. Gotta love warehouse outlets.

·
8,714 Posts
~Pigs in Blankets for 2 adults; hot dogs, refridgerator biscuits and condiments=$1. (with a can of pork&beans=$1.40, with homemade french fries=$1.20)
~Bean Burritos for 3 adults(8 burritos); can of refried beans, onions, halepenos, sour cream, salsa, homemade tortillas and cheese=$1.40
~2 Medium Homemade Pizzas; homemade dough, cheese, pepperoni, sauce=$3.50
~Chicken & Dumplings; 1 lb chicken thighs or other cheap bone in parts, flour, salt and pepper, shortening=$.70 for 3 servings($1 with peas)
~Pulled Pork Sandwiches; 1 lb pork, bbq sauce, onion, homemade rolls=$2.90 for 8 sandwiches
~Baked potato with Broccoli and Cheese;potato, frozen broccoli, slice of american cheese = $.40, 1 serving
~Homemade Mac & Cheese; margerine, flour, milk, 1 lb macaroni, 12 oz sharp cheddar= $3.30 for 10 servings

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
What I call bare bones eating.

eggs and sausage - pancakes made from scratch are cheaper
.64 for eggs @ $1.00 a dozen bought on sale, these days could be slightly higher
.99 brown and serve sausages 1 box
.60 for 8 slices of bread @$1.50 a loaf
.99 for applesauce

grand total $3.22 or .80 per person for 4 servings

Macaroni and tomatoes

.33 macaroni
.50 can of chopped tomatoes
grated Parmesan cheese .35 for 4 servings of 2 tbls. each

grand total $1.18 or 30 cents per person - serves 4

1 small one pound canned ham @ 1.99

Meal one.

Ham and pasta or tuna and pasta - no price difference

1/2 of the canned ham @.99 or 1 can tuna
1 Can of peas @ .33
2 cups of homemade white sauce @ estimated .52 for everything in it
1 cup Parmesan cheese $1.00 or 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice still $1.
.33 pasta

$3.17 or .79 per serving - serves 4

The leftover half of the ham can be for omelets, baked beans with ham, quiche, ham salad or frozen for another casserole next week.

This brings us to oodles of noodles.

As many packages as you need.
Throw in any leftover vegetables or meat that you have and serve with bread and butter.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Recently I made this recipe:

Beef and Bean rollups

1 pound ground beef browned and crumbled
2 cans baked beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup ketchup

mix together simmer until hot

1/4 cup margarine
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teas of salt

cut margarine into the dry ingredients add milk, form into a ball this was a little dry for me so I did add a little water. Roll out into a rectangle on floured surface. Put 1/4 of the bean and beef mixture inside and roll up as you would cinnamon rolls. Place the rest of the beef and bean mixture in a casserole. Cut the roll in 1/2 inch slices and put on top. Bake at 400 for around 20-25 minutes.

This serves six is yummy and filling.

I was thinking of trying it with hotdogs sliced up instead of the hamburger.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My cheapy meals:
Mac n tuna salad - 1lb elbows, can of tuna, mayo - $1 for batch
Homemade pancakes or waffles, eggs, and applesauce
Spaghetti - pasta and noodles - $1.50 for batch
Tuna sandwiches and tomato soup
Fetticine alfredo (homemade sauce - milk, marg, flour, parm cheese) - we have this plain or with chicken or shrimp (obviously the shrimp makes it uncheap - lol)
Hotdogs and beans
Homemade pizza (use breadmachine for dough)
A cheap side dish is homemade french fries - potatoes unpeeled cut like french fries toss with a couple of tablespoon of olive oil and season - spread in a single layer and put in 450 degree oven for 30-45 min - turn them once or twice - I also do this with sweet potatoes sometimes

I also usually serve a green salad with most of these dinners or frozen veg.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Just thinking about meals and how cheap they really are if you only eat 1 serving. But I do not limit my family's intake of food, preparing as much as we need. I know 1 serving for my DH is not enough. He works anywhere from 12 to 16 hour days some days forgetting to eat lunch or eating it at 10:30 a.m.. He is not a fat man but at over 6 feet tall he is a rather large man and requires more calories. I also have a dd who tends to be underweight and needs more food to maintain a healthy weight. I am diabetic and so for me less is more unless it's a green vegetable or protein and cheap meals seem to be loaded with carbs.

I do know a woman who expects her boys to eat like she does. Her 17 year old special needs son was so underweight her doctor got after her calling in Social Services to make sure she was feeding him enough. Her DH has to sneak food after she has gone to work to avoid her having a fit. Frugal is frugal but to let your family walk away from the table hungry is something else. So maybe 1 portion for you may fine but it may not be enough for other family members.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Chicken Noodle Soup

It's so funny - I was JUST thinking about starting a thread like this. What made me think of it was what we had for dinner last nite.

My homemade chicken noodle is more of a method than a recipe, but here goes:

Get a bag of cheap ckn hindqtrs - i can sometimes find them for .29 a pound, but not lately, I just used a bag the other day that was .39 a pound
(.39 a pound times 10 pound bag = 3.90)

Skin the chicken and boil. I add whatever kind 0f veggies I have on hand, or none if I don't have any. (carrots, onion, celery - use it up!)
Boil till the meat falls off the bone - about an hour, or much longer - it doesn;t matter. I then take the chicken out and strain the broth getting rid of the mushy veggies (I just use them for flavour). Let the broth sit overnite and then take off the fat in the AM. Take the chicken off the bone and separate into casserole portions. I get about 5 bags of nearly 2 cups each or so.
OK - so you have the broth and 5 bags of chicken (5 meals)
3.9/= .78 A MEAL for the meat (it's only .58 a meal at .29#)

Now, for the soup - put the broth and ONE BAG of chicken in a big pot - (.78 cents so far), let it heat up and make noodles/dumplings:
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 t salt
mix and add 2 cups flour
roll to desired thickness and let rest a few minutes.
then slice and drop in hot soup for an hour or so.

THAT'S IT!! I fugure the noodles have MAYBE 30 cents in them with the price of eggs going up 78 cents plus 30 cents = 1.08 FOR THE WHOLE MEAL I can feed my family fo 5 this meal and it will feed us two nights, plus a few bowls for lunches!!!!!!!!! We put crackers, or bread in it if we have it. If we don;t - it's still great!!

Thanks for letting me share this - it is truly my most tightwad meal!!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Traci, thanks for sharing that. I'll bet it tastes delicious and is a family favorite. Homemade noodles/pasta/dumplings taste wonderful compared to store bought, and are soooo cheap!!:dancing: And I love cheap!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Onion Sloppy Joes

1 1/2 lbs. hamburger meat- $2.00
1 packet onion soup mix- .50
1 cup ketchup- .30
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
buns-.60

Brown hamburger meat and drain. Mix in other ingredients (except buns! :) ) and simmer uncovered for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serves 4

--Michelle

·
Registered
301 Posts
Macaroni and cheese and Spam. I grew up in Hawaii... where the consume the most Spam in the country (per capita).... I grew up on the stuff.

I lived many many nights off that. Occasionally I'd try to liven it up with some broccoli and onions.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts