Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an article about the 50 best products of all time some were expensive and some were drug store brands.
Mine are as follows
1 loreal hair colol
2 biologe shampoo and conditioner
3 suave clarifing shampoo
4 op nail polish
5 ivory soap
6 eos lip glosses
7 urban decay deslick powder and set spray
8 cover girl checkers blush
9 crest 3 d tooth paste
10 bath and body lotions

The more expensive products I get for my birthday or Holidays.
Urban decay is only think that keeps my make up from melting off.. op love the color selection, biologe just makes my hair feel good. I am a smell person so, love bath and body... love the soft scent..

My favorite perfume is Marc Jacobs daisy got a bottle last year for my birthday love it. Smells so fresh, floral light.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I love Cuticura soap. We can't find it in stores around here, have to order it online. It's been around forever. When I was a young teenager my mom got me some for my complexion and I've used it ever since. She used it when she was young. I also bathe in it. Non-drying, makes you feel clean, great for the skin.

Blistex for my lips, the squeeze tube kind, not the chapstick form.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love threads like this :')

• Huggies natural baby wipes - I use these for EVERYthing. I always carry a full-sized package with me ... they dont irritate my skin and are a couple dollars a package
  • Equate sensitive skin sunscreen - this has zinc oxide in it which is a great UVA filter and starts working immediately. I also have other sunscreens that I like but this is the current favorite. This is another staple that I have literally everywhere - in my car, bathroom etc.
  • Veet wax strips - work great and arent super $$
  • Dove clear tone deodorant - it gets rid of any underarm staining/darkness. I do have to reapply when its super hot out tho.
  • Body Mint
  • Ivory soap
  • Dove soap for my face
  • Basis facial cleanser (liquid and comes in a tube - better for travel)
  • Paul Mitchell skinny serum - helps keep my hair straight and under control as well as helps it to dry faster
  • Sally Hansen tinted hard as nails - I dont bother with regular nail polish much anymore. Ive decided I want to spend most of my time elsewhere but I still take care of my nails.
  • St Ives Collagen lotion - oh my gosh such amazing stuff! it really helps with the dreaded cellulite.
  • Keri or Jergens unscented lotion - both absorb pretty quickly and I just prefer unscented for daily use
  • Generic tooth whitening strips - they work as well as the more expensive stuff.
  • Chap Stik - the kind in the black tube. I have some literally everywhere. Sometimes I will use the cherry as it has a slight tint
  • Mane n Tail shampoo - I keep using others like VO5 or Aveda but I keep coming back to Mane n Tail. I use some of their other conditioning/ haircare products as well
  • MAC blot... any MAC powder really. I dont really use much makeup anymore... I am more focused on skin care but if I need to use makeup this is it.
  • Herbal Authority Double C Serum - 18.00 for 3 bottles and works as well as Cellex-C. It also really helps with undereye circles

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Neutrogena acne cleanser and oil free moisturizer with SPF

Dove bar soap

Dove deodorant, the clinical one, that's supposedly stronger

used to rotate perfume- Pink Sugar (I think this geared towards teens but i love it, lol) and Lolita Lempicka

I'm a sucker for free gift with package so I have Clinique's chubby lip sticks (but I no longer will spend that kind of money, it's not that important, it was just fun)

I am post-menopasual but with oily skin and zits, still, ugh. So I really liked Bare Minerals foundation and powder, especially when they put it in compacts, have enough left for a long time. When that runs out, I'll use drug store brands, that's fine

I have no loyalty to hair care at all. I used to dye with a certain shade of Garner Nutrisse, like for more than 10yrs, then it started coming out blonde but with a red tint, so I went blonder, same thing, went ashier, same thing. Tried L'Oreal, everything blonde kept having red accents. My hair is dirty blonde, no red at all. My hair dresser sweetly got me all the stuff to do a professional job at home, my hair didn't change color! Finally, for $30 for a cut and color, I let him do it and he'll get me what he used so I can do it.

there was a certain type of Sally Hansen nail polish I liked but I forget

CVS generic make up remover clothes when they have the 20% extra in the pack and they are buy 1, get 2nd half price

try Jet, some beauty products are well priced there, I can get a bottle of Pink Sugar pretty close to 1/2 of Sephora's price. Code Curisma gets you 12 month membership free, tenbucksnow takes $10 off order. I have yet to place an order because it is a kind of PITA site but when they have a great deal, like the perfume, I add it to the cart Ive had for a week, lol. They have drugstore brands as well as the expensive stuff

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm a Bare Minerals girl, too, because I'm allergic to so many ingredients in make-up. I'm a big fan of good old Vaseline as a beauty product. I have long strong nails because I moisturize the with Vaseline daily. I use specialty, hand crafted all natural soaps. I love the variety of scents. They are my little luxury.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Right now it is Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shea Butter Soap. Nurture my Body Baby Bar Soap. The Baby Bar Soap is organic. I use it to wash my scalp instead of shampoo between using baking soda. My version of no poo. To many allergies and so far these two soaps have really helped me. They are expensive but last a long time for me.

Also use organic jojoba oil to moisturize with.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
jess, I'm a hair-washing-with baking soda-person too! Saves so much money, it's better for the environment, and I love how my hair and scalp feel.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm a Philosophy girl!
Skin care-
Purity Made Simple and Hope In A Jar
Body wash-
Amazing Grace or Pure Grace
Fragrance-
Amazing Grace, Pure Grace, Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan
Lotions-Sugar Crush Body butter
Hair-
Biolage
Jane Carter Solutions (for curly hair)
EOS lip balm (coconut milk)

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Another Pink Sugar person here
Pantene shampoo AND conditioner

Other than those not brand loyal to anything else I can think of.

On the other hand household / grocery brands I AM loyal to unless something is a blow me away sale price ...
Folgers
Soap .. Oil of Olay or Basis. Basis is hard to find here anymore.

Wow ... can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I'm not really "stuck" on any one product.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I started using physicians formula about 6 months ago. I use the skin are and make up and love it. Bonus is you can find bogo deals all the time on it.

Paul Mitchell fast drying sculpting spray I have used as long as I can remember.

Use some ion hair products from Sally beauty supply.

Natures gate body wash.

I have sensitive skin, buy cruelty free and won't pay a high price so it is hard. Luckly I get hair care at cost because I have a cosmetology license but even then I think it is expensive plus I have tried a lot of it and see no big difference in most products. Grocery outlet actually gets some good products.......like the natures gate in huge bottles.......really good prices.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dr. Bronner's castille almond liquid soap
Tom's of Maine unscented deodorant
Suave Raspberry shampoo
Corn Husker's lotion

I don't use make-up or fragrances so my list is pretty simple :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Dial bar soap

Blistix simple and sensitive chap stick

Cetaphil lotion

Currently enjoying dove shampoo and conditioner

Crest pro health toothpaste. That might change. I loved the gum clinical care but it seems they changed it to something else so we will see.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I thought about including toothpaste but didn't. Currently I'm using Aim. I don't like the way any toothpaste makes my mouth and teeth feel. I tried the baking soda but that seemed to make my teeth really sensitive. My teeth never feel really, really clean. I read that glycerine in toothpaste is sticky and that is the problem. I've never been able to find a glycerine-free toothpaste and have thought of making my own but they all have baking soda. I might try it again anyway and see if my sensitive teeth was just a fluke.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Garnier sleek and shine hair serum for the frizzies. Cheapest I've found (per oz.) and works better than ANY I've tried.

I use any old cheap shampoo, but use a much better leave-in conditioner. I don't think shampoo matters as much as what you use in it after you wash it.

L'oreal Voluminous Mascara (the original one).......inexpensive and awesome.

Maybelline duo-pack eyebrow pencils. Best ever.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dr. Bronner's castille almond liquid soap
Tom's of Maine unscented deodorant
Suave Raspberry shampoo
Corn Husker's lotion

I don't use make-up or fragrances so my list is pretty simple :)
I love this list. Corn Huskers is such an amazing product

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Garnier sleek and shine hair serum for the frizzies. Cheapest I've found (per oz.) and works better than ANY I've tried.

Jet just had the Garner line you use, seemed like great prices but not suitable to my hair.

Corn Huskers sounds like it would smell bad, I wonder how they came up with that name?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Jet just had the Garner line you use, seemed like great prices but not suitable to my hair.

Corn Huskers sounds like it would smell bad, I wonder how they came up with that name?
My guess on the name is who or what it was used for ( soothing rough hand of those that worked with corn) it was first sold in the late 1800 to early 1900 by selling farm to farm in corn growing country.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I never wear makeup
I love beautiful and Knowing by Estee Lauder
soft-n-dry powder deoderant
mane and tail shampoo and conditioner
bath and body lotions
Apricot facial scrub
neutrogena moisturizing sunscreen
I'm very basic and definitely dont keepthis industry alive. I have to admit to not hearing of most of the products your naming

·
Banned
8 Posts
1. Foam Roller

The foam roller has literally changed my life, both with injuries and secondly with how I recover.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts