Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always interested to hear about books for kids and what books the villagers and their kid(s) are reading. My kids love to read and we have a home library with hundreds of books. Zachary came up to me last week and made me stop working. He wanted me to read part of a book he was reading. It really touched me to see how this author connected with a young reader. My son has never asked me to read a portion of what he was reading. He really wanted to share it with me to see how great it was.

I read a part and it was just so funny. Maybe your kids have read books by this author (Michael Reisman). If not, they should. I liked it enough that I plan on reading both of his books over the holidays. Zachary is doing an oral report for school on one of the books. I think these books are geared for any age.

Simon Bloom: The Gravity Keeper and Simon Bloom: The Octopus Effect

Amazon.com: Simon Bloom, the Gravity Keeper (9780142413685): Michael Reisman: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51WGlEZlHkL

Amazon.com: Simon Bloom: The Octopus Effect (9780525420828): Michael Reisman: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41cWxwtxOsL

So what are your kids reading lately?

Reactions: Nishu

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I'll have to check into those for Julia. Right now she's all about the Fablehaven series. She finished the 39 Clues series and a friend gave her the first in the Fablehaven series and she fell in love! She's also just about done with the first book in the Benedict Society (can't remember the full title) series. She's got a few going at a time and is loving them all!

·
27,948 Posts
My kids are all grown up I just wanted to say it really warms my heart hearing about kids finding such joy in reading. A life long world of knowledge and adventure awaits. Good stuff indeed! :thumb:

·
Registered
326 Posts
One of my children is on the last book of the 39 Clues series. He made them sound so good that I am going to start them, too. Before that he read the Percy Jackson Olympian series (5 books), and told me I just had to read them. Well, I finished the last book last night, and I have to agree they were excellent. I had a hard time putting them down.

Another series he got me hooked on a few years ago has had one of the books made into a movie this year. I won't see the movie, since they are never as good as the books. It was about owls, and was called "Guardian of Gahoole". Another series of 14 or so books. (Can't exactly remember now.) I didn't think it would be interesting and kept avoiding reading them, but my son kept pestering. Finally I did, and once again, I couldn't put them down.

I look forward to his next choices for me!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
My 12yo loved the Gregor the Overlander series so much he's re-reading them. He's also reading Lord of the Flies, not sure how much he's liking it.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid series are a big hit too. My 11yo nephew likes the Dude books?

My 9yo is digging the Harry Potter series...we are on book #3

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ally and Zachary loved Diary of a Wimpy Kid too.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Booklover, if you loved the Percy Jackson series, make sure you (and your child!) pick up Rick Riordan's two latest...The Red Pyramid (gods and goddess, but of Ancient Egypt) and The Lost Hero (ties in with Percy Jackson, but starts talking about the Roman Gods and Goddesses, but still has Camp Half-Blood...just the next generation).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My kids love to read as well! They asked for a bunch of different series for Christmas....The Diary of a Wimpy Kids series, Peppermints in the Parlor and The Perils of the Peppermint, Charlie and the Chocolate factory and Charlie and the glass elevator, and there was another series...that I forget the name of now and can't get to the "santa" list without the kids catching on at this time...And of course when my kids ask for books for Christmas...You bet they will get every single one! I love to encourage their love of reading!

·
Registered
223 Posts
My nephew (13 years old on Tuesday!) loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I've read all of them as well and always end up literally laughing out loud at least once in each book, lol. I'm glad that he usually picks out books that I enjoy as well...we're pretty liberal with letting him read whatever he wants, but I like to read whatever it is along with him so we can talk about it.

He also enjoys Star Wars science fiction. I cannot yet bring myself to actually finish any of those books, lol.

My own son (almost 15 months) is at a stage where he'd rather EAT and destroy books as opposed to reading them. He does have one book that he will actually sit and pay attention to. That is The Five Little Pumpkins. Even though its a Halloween book, we read it at least 5 times a day. Sometimes I can sneak in another book, but often I end up sort of reading AT him while he plays, or reading, while holding the book up high so that he doesn't destroy it.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
wimpy kid books are popular here too. Erick is into the young james bond books. He's re-reading Young james bond, Silverfin. Hannah is into Fancy nancy. She's first grade, erick is 6th (if that helps)

·
Registered
326 Posts
AmyBoz, we just ordered The Lost Hero through the Scholastic book club, and am eagerly waiting with baited breath! We have already read The Red Pyramid and am waiting for book two to be released. I know it will be a while yet, but I can't wait! That Rick Riordan is an amazing author.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Well my 11 year old devoured The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books which makes my heart sing. I love to see her happily reading a book . = ) She also likes the Judy Moody books and Magic Treehouse. There was also a graphic novel type book that she LOVED that is long like a chapter book but set up like a comic called "Smile" although I can't think of the name of the author right this minute. We made a special trip to the bookstore to get that one because the copy she started on belonged to a teacher and the girls were all having to wait their turn to read it and she was to impatient.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the Red Pyramid book, Amy. I have read the Percy Jackson books and the Lost Hero book as well and really enjoyed them.

Maggie just eats books. Wesley is just learning to read but he is digging the ISpy books. I love all these suggestions and I can't wait until he is old enough for some of my favorites--like the Harry Potter Books, Little House on the Prairie, etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My kids are young so they cant read quite yet but we have found "Captain Underpants" its totally stupid humor but my kids "get it" and my son who is 3 and a bundle of energy will sit still to listen and even asks for more chapters :) So I am happy that they love books. I would like to find more "young children" type chapter books for them though...I have a 3 year old son, a 5 year old daughter, they have been raised on books so they will listen to some books....any suggestions (chapter books)?

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 7 Year old son is really in the Diary of a Whimpy kid books, he has all five and is almost finished the first one, and he actually purched them for a schoolastic book order with his own money.

My 8 year old Daughter, is currently not reading a series, but she is reading a bunch of random stuff, whatever books are around. She is currently reading Black Beauty.

And my 3 year old at the moment is enjoying when I read DR Seuss books to him.

Whats this 39 clues series like? I never heard of it before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.