Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What special foods, traditions, etc. do you all have? I'm always looking for new traditions to start with my kids.

We always color eggs, have ham and trimmings, and a cake in the shape of a lamb.

We usually have snow on the ground for Easter (lucky this year, though!) so have a egg hunt in the house and hide baskets.

What do you do?

·
Registered
860 Posts
My only one is Brach's malted milk eggs, which I have been unable to find this year. I don't want Whoppers, which contain fake chocolate.

·
Registered
719 Posts
We always had an egg hunt when my sister and I were little. It was chocolate/jelly beans and then when we got a bit older, my mother refused to give the tradition up and started putting dollar bills or quaters in a couple of dozen and hiding them lol. I'm pretty sure she had us doing this until I was 18. Usually deviled eggs were a given, whether or not we were coloring them or not. We still ALWAYS have crab dip for pretty much every holiday including Easter. Our traditions usually revolve around food LOL. This is actually my first real holiday (other than New Years) that we won't be spending together, being that I moved from IN to FL and all. My BF's boss wants us at his house on Easter but coincendentally, April 4th is BF's birthday....Easter this year LOL.

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
545 Posts
lots of chocolate, sunday church service, ham for dinner, and grandma's banana pudding chocolate cake!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oooh, the banana pudding chocolate cake sounds unusual and tasty!

Would you share the recipe? (I'll understand if it is a family secret).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Coloring Easter Eggs
Easter baskets for the kids (even tho they are 15 & 10)
fill plastic eggs w/chocolate eggs
Church
Dinner at the in-laws

I love traditions!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
We color eggs and I do Easter baskets for the three kids. We have dinner with my parents either out or at home after church. Oh, and the Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs...gotta have those! I ate one today actually...sooooo good!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
we color/decorate eggs the during the week before Easter.

both boys get an easter basket filled with goodies. the easter bunny hides the baskets somewhere in the house & they have to find them on Easter morning.

we host the family easter each year, so everyone brings something yummy (potluck style) - we eat around 1:00 or 2:00 - and have our egg hunt around 3-4.

this years egg count for the hunt is about 250. The younger kids go first, those eggs are in the front/side yard. The older kids go next, those are hidden harder & are in the back yard. The adults go last - those eggs are really hidden hard, and they are never all found - the dogs find them throughout the coming months -

there is usually money hidden in the eggs - quarters, nickels, dimes and $1s. Not as much this year because we just can't afford it, but still enough that it's fun for the kids.

it's never limited to family only - we have a few friends that come over also - I'll invite anyone that doesn't have anywhere to go or family in town to spend the day with -

Easter Sunday is one of our favorite holidays, along with Halloween! Those are the only two holidays that we do the 'big family' ordeal at our house.

I have to work Sunday morning (pups have to eat regardless of what day it is) - but I hope to have most things finished Saturday night and I'll leave hubby with a to-do list for Sun morning. ---

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bumplett~Your celebration sounds just lovely! I wish I could be as organized as you are. I'll bet your family and friends really appreciate all that you do.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The churches where I grew up would make peanut butter or coconut eggs and we would always have some of those. I am REALLY going to miss those this year. We used to color eggs, but once I got 20 or so that seemed silly (I will be doing that today). I always like to have ham as well.

BTW, where I live I can't find any Christian Easter Decorations. I can find a few plastic eggs and choc bunnies, but nothing more. The local Dollar Store even took down their rack holding crosses and other Christian nicknacs to make room for the few Bunny related items they stocked.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Brach's jelly beans and Peeps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts