Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hosting it at your house? What is on the menu? Or maybe you are going somewhere else to eat?

I'll probably be heading to my sister's house (has become somewhat the tradition) for the standard turkey dinner. She has gotten lazy, though, and just bought the whole dinner from the grocery store last year. So it was the standard turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, and rolls. I think she served some canned corn, as well. Not fancy and not homemade, but it wasn't bad. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I work at a small newspaper where none of the reporters are from anywhere near the area, so Mrs. Inkstain and I will be hosting Thanksgiving at our house for all the fellow reporters and their significant others.'

Debating right now between turkey and some of my cooking specialties such as homemade pizza. Homemade bread is definitely in the mix regardless.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
thanksgiving will be at my cabin in the woods this year.... brother/wife 3 kids (from chicago) and my mother and son (from Indpls) will all be there...sis & dh can't make it down....

festivities will begin on wed afternoon and all 9 of us will stay in the one-bedroom cabin but we have plenty of room with a big game room and family room too...we have 3 pull-out couches to house everyone.... we will occupy my brother's kids with cookie decorating and ornament making and any other ideas that i can 'glean' from the group here... bonfires at night and long walks in the woods and around the lake (weather permitting)....

mom is bringing down her famous lasagne for dinner wed night...thurs everyone has an assignment for the big dinner...mom has the turkey and a ham...i am making tons of steamed veggies, my ds has mac/cheese duty (and he makes an awesome very calorie-rich dish)....sis-in-law is making salad/bread....and i'm sure we will come up with a dessert but noone has spoken yet....

friday will be a day of hanging around and digesting all the food from the previous day.... probably more kids activities.....more hiking and another bonfire....

sat AM after a huge pancake breakfast the whole group leaves out for their respective places and dh and i can go back home and relax and unwind and enjoy the peace and quiet.....

sunday will be a day of rest....as it was so designed to be in the beginning....

happy thanksgiving everyone....!!!!!!!!

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We are hosting again this year. My aunt always makes some really dry turkey so I will make some gravy to compensate. Gumbo is a tradition here in Louisiana so we will probably have that. My mom always bring something "green" ...a salad or a veggie. My inlaws always bring something I don't really like...last year is was horrible mashed potatoes. I didn't know you could screw up mashed potatoes, lol. Need to finalize the menu soon. Then go through the rounds of people asking what to make and then calling back a week later and them telling me that instead of what we have previously agreed upon that they are gonna bring something else. Leaves me in a scramble sometimes, but it's not a huge deal.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I cook the dinner. But, the only relative within 1200 miles is my FIL, so it will be the 3 of us, FIL, and one of dh's older single man friends. Not very exciting. I would give anything to have a whole housefull of people.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I host it every year it will be dh me ds and fiance ds and current gf lol dd and son in law ds and current girlfriend brother and current girlfriend and whoever we know that doesnt have anywhere else to go We always have some random people show up it used to drive my dad crazy but I dont mind at all. dinner will be
Baked Ziti (italian cant get out of making pasta)
Turkey gravy cranberry sauce
ham
sweet potaotes
mashed potoes
turnips
stuffing of course
another veggie
an itialan antipasta
breadfrom the bakery
and way too many desserts
not to mention the snacks frankies in a blanket dips chips etc love doing love the holidays love the leftovers did i mention i love it lol

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, right now it is a toss-up between Lora88 and Inkstain82, as to who I would love to have T-Day dinner with!!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I cook the dinner. But, the only relative within 1200 miles is my FIL, so it will be the 3 of us, FIL, and one of dh's older single man friends. Not very exciting. I would give anything to have a whole housefull of people.
so what time does my family need to arrive....lol....:hubba:

Reactions: baxjul

·
Registered
860 Posts
Since my parents are divorced, we're expected to make it to three, one for DH's family, one for my dad and one for my mother. We won't be hosting one at our house this year as far as I know. I usually make one or two items to take. There will always be turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole and pecan pie.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I always cook Thanksgiving dinner at my house. My dad will be here from PA, sister and her BF will be here from GA, one of my husbands single work friends will be here, my mil will be here. We will invite sil and her family, however I don't expect them to come because they haven't for the 17 years dh and I have been married. Other than turkey I am not entirely sure what will be on the menu. Will be feeding 2 recently diagnosed diabetics, so I am looking to make it a low carb meal, yet appear to have all the comforts of a traditional thanksgiving meal.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Hosting it at your house? No we are going over to my dh's nephew's house. What is on the menu?The usual holiday food. We will be bringing something to the meal.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
It will be just the two of us as usual, neither of us have family within 1000 miles and our friends will be busy with their own celebrations.

DH will make a turkey (breast this year, got 2 in the freezer already) and I will do the traditional cranberry, green vegetable, baked winter vegs etc. Plus I usually make bread from scratch and a pie or two.

Unless DH emails me from work again and says "find us a vacation" in which case we will blow some $$$ and go on a last minute trip to europe or the caribbean for the weekend instead.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Over the past few years, we have decided that trying to see all of the family on every holiday is just too much. We have Zac's grandparents, my grandparents, Zac's mom & stepdad, Zac's dad & stepmom, and my parents who live 4 hours away.

We make sure that we are able to get together with all of them at Christmas, but rather then run ourselves ragged over Thanksgiving, we keep it low-key and celebrate it here. We invite over our neighbor who doesn't have family in the area.

With all that being said, it will be up in the air this year since Maggie is due on the 24th.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will be feeding 2 recently diagnosed diabetics, so I am looking to make it a low carb meal, yet appear to have all the comforts of a traditional thanksgiving meal.
Sounds tricky! Everything I can think of (except the turkey) in a traditional meal is FULL of carbs!! :(

·
8,714 Posts
~We're going to my mom's as usual but this year is really different.
Only two of my siblings, with their spouses, will be there(maybe, not even sure about that). One of these siblings isn't currently talking to my parents and the other sibling isn't talking to me.
So it's gonna be a fun day!:crackup:
I'm actually still looking forward to it since I love Thanksgiving Day! It'd be hard to ruin it for me. :sun:
I'm bringing the cranberry relish and dinner rolls, and the pumpkin pie and whipped cream and I might make a chocolate chip cheesecake depending if my sis decides to bring a dessert or not.~

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a $350.00 gift certificate to a posh restaruant from my boss that DH and I will use. Kids will be with their dad for the week freezing their butts off. DH will also be working and I will most likely go in to the office as well seeing as this is the American holiday and I am Canadian.....

Other than a really yummy meal and a expensive bottle of wine!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Mummy2, That's one generous boss!!! Have a great time!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just the usual food feast for us :)

We also usually put up our Christmas decorations that weekend since our annual Christmas party is the next weekend :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts