Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement is made of stone and cement...It stinks down there...and stuff is getting ruined...
Is there anything I can use to help decrease the moisture?
Would a bowl of baking soda help?
I really cant afford a dehumidifier...:(

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't think anything will make a substantial difference besides a dehumidifer. Keep checking the sales at Sears and ask the salespeople about any returns or dented models. We've bought our most recent ones at Lowe's and Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Maybe check Freecycle or Craigs list...or even ebay or some other source. At least if it's used, it won't cost near as much as a new one..or even better if it's free. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
A dehumidifier is really the best and most effective method. We use 2 of them, and they run non-stop. One quit on us once, and we really could tell the difference, so we had to replace it.

Sometimes at stores like Fleet Farm and Menards there are bags you can hang in your basement that are supposed to draw out the moisture. I'm not sure if they use charcoal or what is in them, but you could ask. But if the problem is as bad as you say then only a dehumidifer will work.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
What about a fan in the window blowing out? Arethere windows in the basement?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I remember my father using a paint (that was really toxic) to help seal up the walls. Maybe once you get the basement dried out on a dry day when you can have windows and doors open you can paint the walls.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Charcoal helps but it won't do it alone. You need a dehumidifier and then once you get the dampness out you need to seal the walls and floor. Damtite, DryLock, Thoroseal are all good basement wall sealers. We used Damtite. I recommend for the floors the same paint you use on a garage floor. Its more expensive but it flat out does a good job. It really seals it. Regular basement floor paint is bad to peel. Found that out the hard way. After its completely sealed you'll see a big difference in the moisture as well as any dust in your home.

·
Registered
557 Posts
We have the same problem with our basement only it is cement blocks. It had wet spots and mold all over it. We did the Drylock thing. Followed the diections and it worked for about a year and then it came back. So far all we have found for now is the dehumidifier. We still have some moisture but not as much.

·
Registered
933 Posts
pop goes the weasel if you have mold then you have a whole new problem. Depending on what type of mold it is you will need a professional to take care of it. Some types of mold can make you very sick, cause breathing problems, sinus, cold symptoms, flu symptoms. If someone in your family has asthma it will make them sicker.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i bought little plastic containers at a local hardware store for our rental property when we had that problem. dont know if it is the same thing as you use in a grill. sorry i couldnt be of more help though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.