Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you do to make your bathroom more eco-friendly?

Use Ceramic Tiles

Install ceramic tiles for countertops, wall and floor. Ceramic tile is cheaper to install, to produce and prevents damages from moisture. You may also find some tiles that are made from recyclable material.

Mold and mildew

Simple install a fan in the bathroom. It helps you to keep the bath dry and prevent mold and mildew. It would be better if you have put a timer on the fan and set the schedule.

Shower Head

As you all know, shower takes lots more water than bath. Low-flow shower head can save lots water and lower your energy bill. Regular shower heads don’t have low-flow feature and use about 6 gallons of water per minute, but low-flow shower head use about 2 gallons per minute.

Toilets

Dual Flush Toilet can help you save lots water, and the best thing for dual flush toilet is you can adjust how much water you can to use every time. Fortunately, you can get a conversion kits for $30. It is easy to install to the toilet you are currently using.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Well I am good on two. Ceramic tile and a fan. :)

Or you could do what my parents do and flush every three times. gah!!!!! :ack:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Also you can stop using glass cleaner to clean the glass. Get a chamois and wipe off the steam after your shower. No chemicals, nothing to buy after the initial purchase, easy. (Also my favorite frugal tip, so I've posted it a time or two!)

Judi

·
Registered
358 Posts
In addition to low-flow shower, install a shutoff valve on the shower head. That way, you can shut off the water while you soap up, without losing your temperature settings for rinsing off.

I can shower with less than one gallon of water. This is a necessity, since our well has very low capacity in summer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Vinegar and water to clean the mirror and counter top. Baking soda to scrub the sink and bathtub. I still use a chemical cleaner for the toilet - I have hard water and even with a softener, you get rust stains/water marks. The only thing that seems to work on it is a heavy duty toilet cleaner.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I only flush for #2 and every other time for #1. Also, I've seen that you can get toothbrushes made from recycled plastic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to second the "not use it".

Urine is sterile and loaded with fertilizer. Willow trees, bamboo, poplar trees, cottonwood trees and most grasses can cope pretty well with direct urine. Most other plants like it too when it is diluted with a bit of water.

If you live in the country and want to explore saving $20,000 on a septic tank .... there are options that pollute less than a standard septic system.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not use it.
:sun:
I have to second the "not use it".

Urine is sterile and loaded with fertilizer. Willow trees, bamboo, poplar trees, cottonwood trees and most grasses can cope pretty well with direct urine. Most other plants like it too when it is diluted with a bit of water.

If you live in the country and want to explore saving $20,000 on a septic tank .... there are options that pollute less than a standard septic system.
Was gonna mention something along the lines of what Greebo & Paul said but its also easier for males to do this vs females.

redmaples
it has a low level flush for #1 and a power flush for #2
You explained it just as I thought but then the term 'power flush' made me spit my water ROFL!! Do they have an option for a SUPER power flush, as may be needed by some ;)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
For gals peeing outside: my impression is that it is a matter of practice. I know of some gals that prefer to pee outside.
What do they do when it's freezing cold, snow or ice???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts