Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the buns for hamburgers, sloppy joes and bbq sandwiches.

Any other creative uses, other than more sandwiches? There's only 2 of us and I always have leftover buns.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We freeze them and then take out only what we need for a meal.

Anything on bread is going to be a sandwich.

You could make garlic toast with them, or toast and use like bread.

Make pizza burgers.

Dry them and toast them and put in French onion soup.

Make croutons.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Bread pudding, stuffing, toasted and made into bread crumbs

Growing up we would take hamburger buns mix some mayo and mustard and spread on the buns. Then place cheese and ham in the buns. Wrap in aluminum foil and heat in oven till the cheese melts. Always reminded us of big macs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Put some pulled pork on the cut side of the bun. Top with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Pop in the oven to heat and melt the cheese - mini pulled pork pizzas.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I take half of them out of the package and put them in a ziploc bag. The ziploc bag goes in the freezer.

I let them get a little stale and make bread crumbs.

Garlic toast, regular toast

One day I was out of hot dog buns and had some hamburger buns. I used a half a hamburger bun folded in half with the hot dog.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
We generally use hamburger buns as 'bread' if we're running low or just to change things up. We keep them frozen as well and only take out as many as needed per meal.

* dry out for croutons or bread crumbs
* use as a binder for ground meat - think hamburger or meatloaf
* garlic cheese toast
* pizza bases
* sounds odd but 'melt' it somehow in soups to help thicken it up
* base for any open faced sammy with plenty of sauce/gravy
* as toast with your fave topping
* in lieu of regular sammy bread
* like savvy - we also use for hot dogs/sausages - cut in half then semi slice lengthwise and place flat side down on bun

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
High on list is:

~ Feed to the birds
~ French toast
~ Bread pudding

Since we're only a family of 3, I usually don't buy a package of 8 hamburger buns unless I'm committed to making lunch sandwiches with them. If I'm making something that requires a hamburger bun, I'll usually buy individual Hoagi rolls or Kaiser rolls. To me, an all beef hamburger is heaven on a sourdough roll - to the point where I wish I wasn't gluten-free because I really, really miss sourdough.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Pizza sauce, pepperoni, peppers, onions and either mozarella or provolone...stick in toaster oven. Makes really good pizza especially if leaning on the stale side but hasn't crossed over.

·
Registered
636 Posts
My vote is for the bread pudding, and that pizza thing is good,too, but...

French toast.

Mother always saved that sort of stuff in freezer for lots of things with hamburger meat. I do the same now.
Run bread under water, squeeze water out and mix thoroughly into your hamburger meat with chopped onions and whatever other things you want to add for "hamburger steak."
Same sort of thing with meatloaf.
Stuffed bell peppers - brown beef/chopped onions & garlic. Wet and squish bread and mix into meat mixture thoroughly. Add a little water and cook some more. Stuff peppers with mixture, bake, etc. Can top w/ cheese, spiced up tomato sauce...whatever strikes your fancy but I like plain.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas. I used some last night in meatloaf with my own seasonings in place of the seasoned crumbs I normally use, and it did not come out well. Edible, but not going to be repeated.

Garlic bread sounds like something we'd do a lot.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Cheese Dreams......the beloved hot lunch food from my High School days. Put a slice of cheddar cheese on each half of hamburger bun and put under the broiler for a few minutes. Yummy with a bowl of soup!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts