Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you be making this holiday season? Will you be making it for serving at a family event or to give as a gift?

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Gifts are mostly jams and jellies I've made this year, along with homemade breads.

Candies will be a variety of fudge (peppermint, rocky road, peanut butter, etc) penuche, buckeyes, etc.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I make different kinds of fudge every year, maybe choc. dipped pretzels too this year.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I always make two types of truffles- chocolate peppermint covered in dark chocolate with crushed candy canes on top, and chocolate orange covered in white chocolate with colored (red and green) sugar.

I also make Christmas Crunch, which is a chocolate-coated toffee with nuts.

Buckeyes for my sis, fudge, and other assorted fudges yet to be decided.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I usually make buckeyes both to give away and to keep for ourselves. My boys LOVE them. I do too!:toothy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi....fudge, assorted varieties, dipped pretzel sticks rolled in a variety of things, mounds balls, peanut butter balls, salted nut rolls, and sometimes divinity......sometimes peanut brittle.
I add it to Christmas cookies and give trays as gifts. This year for the church auction I had a glass Christmas platter, and printed out a Christmas cookie tag.....stating it would be filled with homemade Christmas goodies for the winner at Christmas time. I have done that before, and it always sells for a good price.
Blessed Christmas!!!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK what are Buckeyes.. I probably know, just not by the name.....;) ;)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Buckeyes are basically peanut butter centers dipped in chocolate. They originally got the name because they are dipped in chocolate almost all the way, but a little of the center is left showing so it looks like an eye. We just dip the whole thing in my family, and my sister LOVES these.

I should have said that I give almost all my candies away, and I bake tons of cookies, too, for giving. I bought a lot of tins at the village sales this weekend for just that purpose. Also, that second fudge in my first post should say other assorted candies- I almost always dip pretzels and find other new candies to try.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Okay gals, they all sound delish! So how about sharing some of your recipes? Please? :sacheesy:

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The only thing I use a recipe for (besides the fudge, that is, and that recipe is on the marshmallow fluff) is Christmas Crunch. It was originally in Good Housekeeping about 7 or 8 years ago. Here it is:

http://www.thefunplace.com/recipes/00437.html

My notes:
*I have used all sorts of different nuts, or left them out altogether, and the recipe always tastes great anyway. As a matter of fact, yesterday I created "confetti crunch" for the CT tech- nuts and M&Ms, no chocolate on top.
*I add about 1 to 2 teaspoons af baking soda to my recipe to "lighten" it. After the recipe is pretty much done and just ready to pour onto a pan, I add the soda and stir vigorously. The soda adds a lot of tiny bubbles that make the candy less dense and a lot nicer texture, IMO.
*I leave the shortening out of the chocolate coating, because my sensitive gallbladder doesn't like any hydrogenated oils.

·
27,948 Posts
Hubby loves to make peanut brittle, we all help break it up when it's done and taste the little slivers that don't go into the can for someone special.yum!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I make peanut brittle every year, and usually some cookies also. I give these away as "hostess" gifts and usually keep one at home for my guests to munch out of.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I always make fudge too!! This year I want to make turtles and toffee and dh wants me to make caramels!!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I have never had a fudge come out right :( I like to make peanut brittle, and I might learn some new ones this year. I love making cookies and i make up packages of those to send.

We might want to concider a cookie/candy swap this holiday season!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
"We might want to concider a cookie/candy swap this holiday season!"

Missy, that sounds like fun. You should go start one now so people have time to prepare. ;) As for the fudge, have you tried the no-fail recipe on marshmallow fluff? The real stuff can be tricky....I don't usually bother with it very often.

I just wanted to add that the recipe I linked above tastes an awful lot like the similar candy that See's sells for a fortune.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the explaination Kimberly... Would anyone want to share any recipes???;) :smball:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am going to try to "make" some homemade treats this year also, not sure what yet. As long as it is not something that requires allot of motor skills "functioning" I should be ok.
Now my question on this is when do you start making things to "give" and if done ahead of time do you freeze them and they still turn out/hold up ok?
Several years ago I made some really great little "treats" and my family got a huge tray(mom/dad, nanny, ds/bil, sis/bil) and it seemed to be a huge hit.
I know though I can't do that much though, not yet anyway but, want to try to make something up.

Also, do you give as gifts and that is it or do you "add" something to go with it? Personally with our situation if, I can do this it will have to be "all" the gift they get.
So I am curious how you other ladies to them?

I want to get the book again The Joy of Cooking, that is where I was able to get some really great ideas. I just have to have dh take me to the library.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Choclate covered peanuts, cholatate (sp) covered coconuts, and banana bread. Give as gifts and take to family events.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts