Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that every once in a while, I am either too busy (hectic Day), or just too tierd to cook a meal. When that is the case, I like to pull a frozen conveinence meal out of the freezer. This is a rarity, but does happen on occasion:) I will add a fruit and veggie to the frozen meal though. So here is what I have right now on hand

Prego seven cheese lasagna
Volia Chicken,pasta and veggie meals
2 frozen tombstone delux pizzas.

Thats it for the conveinence entrees. How about you?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I don't have any convience food in my freezer right now. I do have a few things that I have thrown together and frozen that would be a quick meal.

If I can get them on sale we like pizza rolls, cheese sticks and pot pies. They usually get used for quick lunches.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Fish sticks and clam strips. I am just not willing to bread the clam strips myself - too gross (though I love to eat them LOL). We do purchase those cheaply - 6lbs. for $13.99 from a local seafood distributor.

During the summer you'll likely find a Mrs. Smith's or Edwards key lime pie in the freezer. I can get them for $3.49 to $3.99 on sale with a coupon (regular price $6.99 to $7.99). I just have never been successful in making a good key lime pie.

·
Registered
106 Posts
None. Once or twice a year when pot pies go on sale 3/1.00 I might by a dozen or so and put in...there MIGHT be one still lurking in the depths of the freezer but I don't think so.

Otherwise, the closest to convenience food in there is probably the extra snow ice cream we mixed up and froze (not as good as fresh...but still better than none!)

My cupboards are similar...very, very little in the way of convenience food comes in. We do buy Ramen Noodles, 4/1.00 boxed macoroni and cheese. I also keep canned generic soups on hand (tomato, mushroom, and chicken). We dont' use a lot of it, but there are times it is handy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't have any in my freezer...since am a SAHW so I have all the time to cook, and when am in the mood I prepare few things for busy days and I freeze....
the other day I made some spinich,meat and potatoe pies..I double dthe amount and there is enough for another meal in the freezer.
I also like fresh baked rolls so I have some refrigerated dough in the fridge ready to bake any time... thanks so much for everybody who replied to my post:)
I also have some hamburger patties ready to cook...
thats about it for quick easy stuff to make.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
There are super pretzels, a box of mini pizza bagels and a box of frozen waffles--got all of them for free (or really close to) with coupons, and a couple of burritos that I picked up 3/ $1 to put in Dh's lunch when I have no left-overs:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
All convenience food in there now is for ds- fishstick, chicken nuggets, tacos. I do however have a bag of breaded veal patties, hashbrown patties and Ore Ida fries.

On the rare occasion, I'll buy the Barber stuffed chicken (I love the cordon blue and the broccoli and cheese ones), Freshetta or DiGiorno pizza if they're on sale.

For my pantry, I'll buy rice mixes, Velveeta shells and cheese, I still have 1 box of Chicken Helper since forever ago.

I find cooking everything from scratch takes the same amount of time to cook and tastes better.

Laura

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
In my freezer I have:

Ortega bean burrito and rice frozen dinners
Corn dogs
Superpretzyls
Ortega taco meat
Boca burgers
Some pre marinated chicken breasts
haagendaaz sorbet
frozen veggies
1 ready to rise frozen bread dough left
Ore Ida tator tots
Morningstar farms hotdogs

and probably a few other odds n ends

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
The only convience type food that I have in my freezer is Super Pretzels!! :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have some frozen burritos that dh takes for lunches ocassionally, and Ore-Ida fries. Does ice cream count? Have some of that too. DH is diabetic so I do buy him the sugar free stuff.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I have some "convenience ingredients". A month or so ago I got a good deal on Kroger's frozen onion/peppers mix, the big chunk kind. It was only pennies more than buying fresh would be, so I got six or seven bags for stir fries. I sometimes buy the big stuffed pasta shells or (yeah, I know) Hot Pockets, to use if I don't have leftovers to take to work. For the present I have only the freezer with the fridge, so there isn't room for much at all, and meats and veggies are the priority for the space.

·
8,714 Posts
~I have toaster strudels($1.25 box), store brand pierogies($1lb!), a Mrs Smith's pie(free with sale/coupon at X-mas), 5 Healthy Choice dinners($1 each) and premade meatballs($1.75lb). That sure isn't much considering I have over 17 cubic feet of freezer space. You really do pay big $$$ for convenience so I don't buy much premade stuff.~

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Swanson's chicken pot pies bought on sale. We eat them for Sunday night dinner.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
we have none.

everything in the house has to be cooked/prepared or something.

nothing here can be opened & eaten.

which bums me out a bit since i live with picky eaters who don't like "convenience" foods (unless you call fast food that!).

so some times i end up not eating because it's too long to make something for me for lunches during the day.
dinner is the big meal, and lunches (like on wkends) are DIFFICULT (to say the least) and I end up making a dinner-like meal for lunch... *sigh*

i wish i could say "go make a sandwich" or something... but then it ends up "i'm not making anything. i'll just go get fast food!"

*sigh*

not very frugal, but i get tired of having no ideas.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I have quite a bit right now :blush: I hit a good deal on Lean Cuisines and SmartOnes. Target also had GardenBurger BBQ Riblets clearanced and Morningstar Farms sausages and Boca Chik Patties on sale. I love them :)

They are for my lunches or dinners occasionally. I pair them with a large salad and I have a complete, low fat, low cal, portion controlled meal. They will last me a long while because I only have them 1-3x a week.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have a few Lean Cuisines (easy lunch for me and Momma while DH sleeps), some Boca and Morningstar Farm products and Toaster Strudels(Momma's favorite).

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
None for me! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts