Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though you know that homemade is healthier and less expensive. What is the convience food product you can not do without.
mine are
Chicken and beef broth (canned)
canned creamed soups like mushroom and celery
Macaroni and cheese (kraft or Annies)
Frozen french fries, although I buy the store brand
peeled garlic cloves
muffins and pies from the bakery at my local Market Basket. I can get a pie usually for between 1.99/2.99 and 1 dozen square corn or blueberry muffins for 2.99

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Nature vally garanola bars. I just dont like homemade one as well.
Dh cant live with out Campbells select soups.
Bushes best baked beans.
Other than that I cant think of much.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Campbells cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix, Concentrated liquid chicken bouillon, kraft dinner, bottled minced garlic, cake mix, shake and bake, yoghurt, frozen waffles, spice blends. I buy the spice blends at Costco and they make it so simple to season things.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I would have to say Goya Adobo seasoning, Sazon seasonings/coloring packets. We use them on all our meats. :)

Already diced garlic in the jars, diced tomatoes in the can, pesto sauce, spaghetti noodles, Kraft ac & Cheese and ....that's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Aren't those Goya seasonings wonderful.

My SO would have to say his can't- do-without would be flour tortillas. He will eat everything on a flour tortilla, and his second would be boxed mac and cheese. I say yucky but he likes it.

Me, I can't do without onion soup mix. I use it so many different ways... in meatloaf, meatballs, crockpot roasts and chicken, sloppy joes, my 'from scratch' taco meat seasoning. The list goes on and on. I really need to try to make it from scratch too, because it would be so much lower in salt than the store-bought. I also use cream of ? soups quite a lot. I can whip up dinner so fast with a can of cream soup it's not funny. All I do is take meat, add soup and frozen or canned veggies and serve over rice, noodles or potatoes. A stove top dinner done in less than 30 minutes. And the funniest thing about is that there never seems to be any leftovers.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Cereal - I tried making it and it was terrible, more expensive, and had more fat and sugar than any commercial cereal on the market.

Canned spaghetti sauce - use it as a base for homemade sauce, just tastes like water without it.

Old El Paso taco & fajita seasoning - tried my own, tasted like water.

Kraft Dinner - there's just no substitute for a plate full of orange dye and powdered salt ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hmm...my list--

Cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups
Onion soup mix
Dry zesty Italian dressing mix
Instant rice (sometimes pinch hits in quick meals)
Can tomatoes
and most of all-Ragu Double Cheddar Cheese sauce!!

I use the cheese sauce in a lot of ways-

vegies-broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, etc.
rice
casseroles
dips
grits
soups
and it's the only way I make mac & cheese any more. It is really good for a lot of things. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
cream of mushroom soup (for those quick last minute meals)
yogurt
Bread (I have a bread machine, but it comes out thick and heavy)
Instant potato flakes

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Here's my list:

Bread (don't have time to make it all the time)
Ragu (use as base for my spaghetti sauce)
Frozen bread dough that I use for pizza. I don't use it all the time, but do a lot of the time.
Gravy mixes. They are just so easy.
Pasta, of course.
Seasoning mixes, including chili seasoning mix.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I use a lot of convience items to help me make "semi-homemade" meals. I use the cream soups, canned biscuits, cake mix, canned soups, boxed stuffing, stewed tomatoes, canned veggies, jar sauce, noodles, instant rice, bagels, packaged deli meat, instant oatmeal, cold cereals, and I am sure a few more things I am forgetting.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Canned tomato sauce, pastas, bread (because I've been too lazy lately to try to get it right), tortillas (would make if I had a press)

That's about it. I've had to do without all the rest this year so if I had to I could go without the other convenience stuff, but if it was available for a decent price I would probably buy some of it.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Bread, gravy mixes, ramen noodles, yogurt.

I often buy cream of whatever soups, but I also use my homemade mix, so I guess I could live without them.

Another one I buy a lot but could definitely live without is prebagged salads.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Creamed soups, spaghetti sauce, and beleive it or not frozen meatballs. I like to have them around for quick meals.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
frozen hashbrowns for casseroles
frozen juices(really good in vitamins)
canned broths for almost anything
every month 10 cans of spaghettie etc.
n.n. macaroni instant mixes (kraft)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Peanut butter and minced garlic. Separate, not together (hee hee!)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mac and cheese
bread
pasta
onion soup mix
cream soups
yogurt
broth cubes

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Cream of mushroom soup
Cream of chicken soup
Canned chicken broth (usually make my own, but keep some on hand for emergencies)
Chicken & Beef Bouillon (sp?)
Spaghetti sauce
Bread
Mac & Cheese (for kiddos) - usually buy store brand
Cereal - one of our only grocery "splurges" though we only buy whatever's on sale
Pasta - have never made my own
Sun dried tomatoes in oil
Salsa

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
chopped garlic!!! Everything else I can deal with... but I hate skinning and chopping cloves of that stinky stuff!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts