Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~I looooove French onion soup and I can usually get 4 servings from the juices in the crock pot when I cook a roast but it's not enough! Packaged broth is on sale this week for $2 for 32oz which works out to $.50 a cup. :ack: So I'm gonna make my own. I've never made beef broth though. What cut of meat should I use?~

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If I do not have beef broth from the juices of a roast I use the bullion cubes to make my broth. Hormel makes one that is sodium free and msg free that I use.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
4,028 Posts
If you want that mouth feel from stock you can use beef shanks or ox tails. To get a deeper flavor sear them in a hot pan before you add them to the water to simmer.

I would imagine that any cheap cut of beef would do and your butcher may even have some "soup bones" for the cheap if you him. Some old porterhouse steak bones once the NYStrip and filet have been removed would be really sweet.

Alton Brown (of course I'm going to reference him... hehehe) had a show on stock where he made it in a pressure cooker and it took less than an hour. He also did a french onion soup using beef consume (Campbells makes this) and chicken stock. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-onion-soup-recipe/index.html is the recipe.

Reactions: nuisance26
1 - 3 of 3 Posts