Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 809 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am turtle-liing along trying to prepare for some of the many things that we have all been hearing in the news. (job loss, hyper-inflation,Depression,dollar collapse,food shortage etc) No I am not a doomsday person I am a very happy and blessed person. I believe that it is my job to make sure my family is fed and taken care of no matter what the situation is. So I thought I would start us a thread to help us in our prepping that we could post what we did that day to prepare.

So today I used the 4 frosting buckets with lids that I got from the bakery yesterday.
I had bought brown and powdered sugar at Walgreens last weekend for 24 cents a pound (it was 75% off). I packed 25-1 lb bags in each bucket. I have trouble with ants and that way they can not get to my sugar.
The lids have a rubber seal and of course they are food safe. My bakery charges $1.50 for each bucket and I buy 4 a week.
I packed regular sugar in these bucket for the last couple of years and my sugar stay fresh and hasn't turned into a rock yet.

So what have you done today to prepare?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also today I cleaned up the garden plot and burned debris to get the garden ready.
I went ahead and bought some gas (15 gallons) for the mower and tiller put some stabil in it so I could store it.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Good idea for a thread. I haven't done much unless you can count me sitting here thinking about getting off my duff and making chili of which I would put a couple bags in freezer. Actually working on a list of stuff to add to and/or replace in stockpile. Have coupons sitting here to cut out. Not exactly gardening and such but it's my plan for now. I work better with lists. I'm gearing back up for at least 6 months worth or more and need to know what i'm looking for. I wanted a garden but here in Florida it would be a late start and we haven't moved yet so...don't know about that...think about it but would be hard

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have some red and yellow peppers in the dehydrator and some tomato slices too. They were on sale at Aldi two colored peppers for .99 that is a good deal here. At my other store they are 2.49 a lb right now. I bought about 7.00 worth.

Dh is in the process of making me a clothes line. I started some seeds today. This is going to be our first attempt at a few things. Thats it for today.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Been thinking alot about all the tougher times ahead. Right now we are debt free other then our basic bills. Was asking hubby about the garden this year. We never had one but since we have a privacy fence up we can now. So many mean kids that like to damage peoples gardens around here..Gas prices are the killer for us, since hubby does house calls we have to make sure he can do lots of house calls in 1 day. We live 45 minutes to the main city where most of the house calls are at. So he will have to be home more.Going to be selling crafts ect online to help cushion the Emergency fund. Plus gives me extra money to stockpile and build up the non food items.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have canned 11 jars of strawberry jam, have apples in the dehydrator, got my dwarf fruit trees delivered today.

I do have a tomato plant in a container that is doing great, some peas planted and some strawberries in a container. After Easter, I will plant some onions and potatoes. I may even go back and get some more tomato plants.

I'ts also time to go and feed my hens and gather eggs and I hope to get to work on quilting this evening.

Suzanne

·
Registered
955 Posts
Today I am consolidating all my pantry excess onto a five shelf shelving unit in the basement. From this, I'll then create an inventory sheet of what I have. Then I will figure out what items I want to maintain excess of with a list created of my order of stocking up (which will be fluid depending on what is on sale as well). My goal is ultimately to have a one year supply of food and healthy/beauty items. Right now, I think I am about 2-3 months.

Tomorrow I am attending a class on backyard chickens. Just gathering knowledge in case I ever decided to go that route.

Last month I attended a fascinating program on aquaponics. Hubby and I are strongly considering trying that out in the future.

Next week I will be starting garden seeds. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
My big project for today was to put together a simple shelter-in-place kit. I was thinking about creating one, and meant to take care of it yesterday, as we live in an area known as the Chemical Valley. I woke up this morning and read the news that one of the plants had a "small" ammonia leak today. That shook me up enough to get started, lol.

In a large Rubbermaid Bin:
1. Plastic sheeting pre-cut and labeled to fit over major openings
2. Extra plastic sheeting
3. Scissors
4. Box Cutter
5. 5 rolls Duct Tape
6. Small tool kit
7. Small first aid kit
8. Trigger Flashlight
9. Latex Gloves
10. Trash bags
11. Filter Masks...a couple of different types
12. Two small fleece blankets

I've got other "emergency" supplies, but I think this is all I'm going to specifically keep in this container. It'll be labeled, and stored in the hall closet

·
Registered
25 Posts
Didn't do much today, just the basic chores around the house.

Tomorrow I'm shopping the sale ads and will be picking up more strawberries and jars, blanching and dicing carrots for the dehydrator.

I have a solar oven in transit, I'm going to buy an oven that fits over a coleman camp stove and I'm expecting some more long term food supplies coming in. I really excited that my preps are coming along nicely. I love not having to go to the grocery store to pick up odds and ends. If we don't have it, it waits until the next shopping day. With gas what it is, every drop has to count.

Suzanne

·
Registered
461 Posts
I haven't done anything today to prepare. I do need to get the pantry reorganized and take inventory of what we have and what we need. We also have all of the seed starter stuff on the kitchen counter.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We just moved to a bigger, more suitable place. I spent time today unpacking and organizing my food stockpiles to see what I've got.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wish I could SEE my garden plot. We've had over 90 inches of snow this season & there's a 90+ chance of flooding.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I am slowly cleaning cans and reorg. my pantry. I plan to do 1 shelf a day. Today is soup day. That is a big category. Did I mention I hate mice!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Today I went to the store and did some shopping for basics that I had let go when I was getting ready to move. I bought:

16 cans of veggies
5 pounds of flour
2 jars of coffee
2 bags of oats
1 can of cocoa powder
1 bag of sugar
2 bags of apples
1 bag of onions
1 bag of potatoes

and finally...

a dehydrator!!!

I'd hardly say I am prepared for a dire emergency but I have about 4-6 weeks worth of food now. Although the idea of being a year ahead is wonderful, it just isn't feasible financially. I'm going to do what I can when I can and preserve as many last day of sale items as possible.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Since last post...not much except add a few things to stockpile. Very few. I want a minimum of 6 months and prefer a year. ( who dosen't ) I

figure if by some chance we DO lose the business we will have at least 6 months of unemployment on his part. Even tho we own the business and are self employed we put him on payroll with a payroll company with unemployment taken out. If we lose it at that point he could sign up for Social Security which would take 6 months and start at the time unemployment could possibly run out.

I'm back to work at the business this time ( YAY!!! ) and on payroll ( bigger YAY!!! ) but not long enough to do unemployment yet.

So seriously praying for the best and preparing for the worst. 6 months is a have to....a year is a want. First things first. List is still being made as necessary things are on top priority and others only if REALLY reasonable. I even have a list of things to start envelopes for. I need a list of the lists to make/made!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I love this thread! Yesterday at the store I bought tons of sale "about to perish" perishibles, and today I will be processing them for the dehydrator. I have a 4 tray unit, so it might take a bit to get it all dehydrated, but well worth it in my opinion!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well today "Big Lot" is having a friends and family sale. So I went to town to take advantage of it. I got gloves (jersey, railroad,gardening,work gloves). I got garden tools and garden hose. I also bought some groceries while they were 20% off I wish I could have bought a whole lot more but just do not have the funds for it. As it was I spent $85 which is a lot for me to let go of at one time. LOL
Yesterday I went to Dollar General and they had some Hefty trash bags marked down and I had some coupons so I bought all they had which was 12 boxes of 33 large black drawstring trash bags. I spent $24 on trash bags but I won't have to buy trash bags again for quite a while and it would have normally cost me $72 for that many trash bags.
I also made a trip to the Amish store and bought some bulk foods.
I am spending so much right now but I am feeling like with all the inflation talk that I am saving overall. I am still paying down the debt while prepping and only buying items with cash.
Now I am going to go in and start to rearrange my pantry and take inventory.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
871 Posts
LOL...ok so i know that chocolate is not really a preparation item...but at .99 cents a bag for toll house choc chips...i couldn't resist...soooooooo... 10 bags in the baking supplies bin now... hey...choc is important....RIGHT?????

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
LOL...ok so i know that chocolate is not really a preparation item...but at .99 cents a bag for toll house choc chips...i couldn't resist...soooooooo... 10 bags in the baking supplies bin now... hey...choc is important....RIGHT?????
Absolutely! They are now saying it puts you in a better mood/frame of mind...and heaven knows, we all need to be in a better frame of mind!
Darker the chocolate ( my personal fave ) the better. I love the Bakers Chocolate baking bars...used to keep a small stash hidden. Break off a square at a time and go hide...ah, those were the days.

1 - 20 of 809 Posts