Frugal Village Forums banner

61 - 80 of 809 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well, Polly, if you have goats milk might be one less thing you need to buy! :D

I'm on the hunt for dry milk. I drink my coffee iced with skim milk so that should work for me.

Another point about milk. Anyone who is concerned might consider the possible radiation coming from Japan. If it does indeed reach our shores, milk is one of the main items that will contain radiation. Dry milk is a vital protection against ingesting radioactive particles.

I'm not so worried about radiation from Japan. The thing I find alarming is the large number of nuclear energy plants here in North America. This kind of tragedy could really happen anywhere. I hope I don't sound like a nutcase here, but the tragedy in Japan has definitely illustrated why many of us are prepping.

Just to preach on it a little (on soapbox) some people have said it should show us how useless prepping is. I agree, if your home is washed away by a tsunami or some horrible disaster, all your physical preps like food storage will be useless. But if you are one of the survivors hunkering down in your home with your doors and windows sealed, all of your preps would certainly pay off.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. (off soapbox)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Planted herbs today: basil, rosemary, sage, lemon thyme, lavendar, oregano, cilantro. Will use it fresh and then dry for the winter use. Tomorrow I will plant my vegetable garden.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Polly-excellent deals on the beans. I can't find Great N. beans for anywhere less than $1.02 not incl. shipping. Please where?

today
75' extension cord and another 40' one
4 Nutkao (Nutella) frm Big Lot $2.50 (protein source)
4 cans white grape juice (welches)

Going for more protien bars
Need to move on getting a new cell phone picked out next week. Old equip.just isn't cutting it.

DH got a shocker today. Apparently Concerta is out of stock at Kroger because 1 ing. has been suspended. Scary.
I may start mail ordering my meds for availability not price.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Now maybe this does not seem like prepping, but I think it will help me in the long run. The homesteading book had mixed reviews, but I'm thinking at least in part it was because those reviewing were already familiar with homesteading. The other book is the one I'm most excited about.

Amazon.com: The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre! (9781603421386): Carleen Madigan: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51aDpI-ON6L

Amazon.com: Mix-A-Meal Cookbook (9780970869708): Deanna Bean: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@514JFZCX4EL

This author was recommended on another thread. I thought that recommendation was enough since I got these for pennies. I already have the make a mix cookbook and thought these might be a good compliment to that.

Amazon.com: More Make Your Own Groceries (9780672526718): Daphne Metaxas Hartwig: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Eddsa%[email protected]@[email protected]@31Eddsa%2BEBL

Amazon.com: Dinner's Ready (9780025485310): Daphne Metaxas Hartwig: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51S39i7AP6L

Amazon.com: Classic Greek Cooking (9780911954319): Daphne Metaxas Hartwig: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@61YGR227NSL

HA! the picture of a cookie book is wrong. It was a Greek cooking book

I have several more books in my saved bin, I'd like to go through these before I make any more decisions about the books I'd like to purchase. I need to be wise about spending my Christmas money.

Reactions: frugrrl

·
Registered
461 Posts
I added to the stockpile today! I got 10 boxes of pasta and 8 cans of dog food free after coupons/sale. I also got 2 bags of dog food for $.99 each after coupons/sale. This was all at Kroger. :)

My seed starters (milk jugs) got their first drink of rain water today. They were still fairly wet from putting them together earlier in the week. This method seems to be working well. Just playing the waiting game to see what grows seedlings and what doesn't. ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have picked up some extra blankets
Started my seeds
Granddaughter started basil,dill,chives there was some thing else can not remember what.
I bought some strawberry plants
stock piling what I can
I'm buying fresh produce when I find it at a decent price and freezing it
and gathering as many coupons as can to help my stock pile along.
I also look for mark down on clothes for my 3 year old grand daughter who is living with us I pick up 3t , 4t and 5t so I have some clothes for ahead of time .

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Bought
-12 2pk. fly traps
-8 rolls of bandage tape
-20 balance bars
-lg container of chives and basil

Heading to the old Big Lots today to see about more Pom juice.
Thinking about snap traps for mice
clothesline/pins
need more car keys

·
Registered
461 Posts
We started the compost bin yesterday. DH put grass seed and crab grass preventer down. The yard looks terrible right now! Hopefully it keeps the pups paws in good shape this year. At least 1 of them is allergic to crab grass. I'm going to see what containers I can find around here to start some more seeds. Also going to make another Kroger run. :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Money is an object, and being able to stockpile as much as I'd like is just not possible. So it got me to thinking that prepping isn't just about things, it's about ideas, acquiring skills, and being on a search for things you didn't know you needed to know.

So......

I joined a preppers group on FB. I haven't looked through it throughly, so it may have some extreme ideas, but I thought there would be good things to glean from the group.

I also did a a food flyer list for the deals this week. I'm hoping to have the car tomorrow so I can get started this week.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I attended a class yesterday on pressure cooking and pressure canning. I already knew the canning side, but I've never played with pressure cooking and was anxious to learn more about it. I had asked hubby to get me a set of pressure cookers last year for my birthday or Christmas (I forget which) and danged if I haven't even used them yet!!! (Poor hubby) By golly, I need to start. They are a tremendous energy saver.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Polly or whoever
Ideology in the visual.
Videos-pioneer living survival magazine. Have been watching gardening videos. DID NOT join.

today
-4 bags clothespins
-30# Great Northern Beans
-10# navy beans
-Rubber gloves 5 pks.
-2 50ft. alum. foil
-Bluberry/pom juice
TBC

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Thanks FW!

My first gem of knowledge, thought I'd share.

Cheese : one gallon of milk to one cut white vinegur. warm the milk until you get a skin on top, add herbs if you want ( fresh) stip and add the vinegur.the cheese curds will sink and the whey will rise. You have to strain the cheese curds and whey ( they whey is nasty but its really good for you). You can press the cheese in forms ( aka tuppperwear with something on top to smach it down). You can double wrap it and freeze. =) We make ours from goats milk, raw and freash. =) VERY simple Armenian recipe. =)

Reactions: madjen

·
Registered
132 Posts
I found large cans (3.5 lbs) of whole powdered milk Nido brand at a Walmart. Bought one and now I have that big can and two little Nidos as well as one small whole goats milk. I have good coupons for Enfagrow so will pick up a can of that at some point also. Want to make sure my son will have plenty of milk in a crisis.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I added to the stockpile a little yesterday... 13 boxes of pasta, 10 cans of dog food, 2 bags of dog food and 4 bottles of Motrin PM.

I started a compost bucket inside the house. For now, it's just an old ice cream pail but if that gets stinky, I will figure out something else to use! ;)

I found a website with vegetables that can be planted in each zone with the dates and apparently there's a few things that I can plant THIS week! Can't wait until the weekend! :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I put

7 pounds of dried beans
12 cans of kidney beans
40 rolls of toilet tissue
21 pounds of ground turkey/chicken

in stockpile today

I also bought another bag of peaches (DS2 snagged the last bag :( ) to try my hand at homemade wine.

And

I'm going to try that cheese recipe, either tonight or tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I joined a preppers group on FB. I haven't looked through it throughly, so it may have some extreme ideas, but I thought there would be good things to glean from the group.

Polly, what did you put in search to find the group...I played with it and couldn't find anything legit

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I honestly don't know why I feel such an urgency to be prepared, but it's been nagging at me for over a year now. Funny thing is, I talked with my Sister and she said the same thing. And one of my friends never said anything till now, but she's been preparing for quite sometime herself. All three of feel like we are being lead to prepare. And all three of us are feeling a sense of urgency.
OMG!! I can really relate to this!
I've been feeling the same way for a little over a year now...I try, (if we have the money), to put something back in our stockpile every week...most weeks I can, even it's just a little.

I've really been worried about the way the economy is heading...Major natural disasters are happening everywhere...Wars-new and old...such global upheaval...scary times to be raising a family...

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
OMG!! I can really relate to this!
I've been feeling the same way for a little over a year now...I try, (if we have the money), to put something back in our stockpile every week...most weeks I can, even it's just a little.

I've really been worried about the way the economy is heading...Major natural disasters are happening everywhere...Wars-new and old...such global upheaval...scary times to be raising a family...
Add me to the list. And Jas' post " Glenn Beck" about the videos she watched on the shows of his this week didn't help. Wish I could have watched them. I think. One was a video, don't know who, of man saying going to be another financial meltdown in May if they could...starting with Chase.
If you all didn't read the thread it's in General Chat....Glenn Beck...started by Jas. Greebo stopped the thread but didn't pull it.

I've been working on stockpile again but I need to step it up. Way to much stuff I'm either out of or about out of. Geesh..I even used my last Ziploc tonight on chicken. I need more blankets even. I might start a thread on what do we ( individually ) still need/want if time.
Feeling you Polly and Paws...really feeling you.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm there!

Our recent "crisis" so to speak, is the death of the girls' father last week.

Suddenly, I am going from one child in the house to two. I am going to be spending $50 a week on transportation for her to get to and from school. He had absolutely nothing organized, so he left them without one thin dime.

We will make it but I sure am glad that I have a month's worth of food stored up. I plan to just absorb the food from his house into my stockpile, but this is the kind of thing I prep for - a small scale economice disaster. Instead of this doing us in, we will be stretched thin. However, I now no longer really grocery shop - I just add to the stockpile. Being in this mindset is invaulable.

61 - 80 of 809 Posts