Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starting out the month pretty good

pkg of facial cleanser wipes
pkg of wildflower seeds
2 brats w/buns

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
some free clothes at a clothing giveaway (but I will have to pay to wash them all at the laundromat!)

Few books.

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
In addition to the free rug I mentioned in my Starting from Scratch thread, a bottle of Vit. C 1000mg tablets (Solgar) that someone donated to the food shelf (we don't hand out pills of any kind).

·
Super Moderator
20,099 Posts
Four small bags of M&Ms from the grocery store.

42 pieces of composite decking salvaged from the construction debris pile at the dump. It would have sold for about $250 new. We're going to use it to make a floor in our greenhouse. I never thought we'd have such a nice floor, so I'm excited about the find.

A whole bunch of salvaged baseboard that's a match to the bed frame we salvaged last year there. I am modifying the queen size frame to work with our king size mattress which will result in open spaces at the head and foot of the bed. The boards I salvaged will be used to make spacers to fill in the gaps.

Two rodent cages to use for covers over planter boxes I plan to build for my mom for Mother's Day. They will keep the deer and other critters out of her crops.

A shell-shaped cultured marble bathroom sink.

A fancy red metal planter.

An iron pipe we hope to use for a handle on the new pallet busting tool we bought.

A set of steel shelves with a rusty bottom. I plan to take off the damaged bottom part and use the shortened shelf unit in our greenhouse.

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
free at yard sale I went to -
12 muffin tin
rectangular pyrex baking dish
2 baskets
ceramic dish shaped like a banana leaf
great book by Roz Chast, my favorite cartoonist

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
starting out the month pretty good

pkg of wildflower seeds
2 brats w/buns
bottle of body lotion
bottle of water

·
Super Moderator
20,099 Posts
I have several half-gallon mason jars and love those for food storage. Good find!

I did the math and the free salvaged decking will only do 2/3 of the flooring, plus we need to buy lumber to frame the floor so there's something to attach the decking to, but we're still pretty excited about our find because it's a big savings regardless. Chances are we wouldn't have built a new wood floor without the huge 'discount' of the found lumber and would have put up with the dirt floor which I hate. I can't get over how interested Husby is in this project. I keep finding little ways to save a buck here and there on the project, and he just keeps saying "I don't care what it costs." :) We got the steps and the first 4x10 section of framing done Saturday. Still have to screw down the decking, but we figure we've saved at least $250 on labor so far by DIYing this project.

When we bought lumber Saturday to frame the first section of the floor and also build the steps, I saw a damaged piece of fourteen foot decking laying in the lumber yard all alone and unloved. It looked like the damage was in a good spot to cut it out and use the good parts, so I asked about it and was told it was half price, so I said I'd take it. I also miscalculated and figured out while we were loading what we'd already paid for that we'd need another board. When we got back to the store to pay for both boards, the same guy said we could just have the damaged one free! I'll be able to get four of the twenty boards we'll need for the last section, so that'll save us about $20. Another nice little discount.

I also asked about the spacers that come with the big bundles of lumber so there's a space for fork lifts to get under a bundle to move it. The yard guy said they just give them away and we could take whatever we wanted. I grabbed a dozen to build the rails on the new greenhouse steps, free. :) I'm going to get more and use them as decking for the platforms I want for the dog yard, so the dogs don't have to lay out there in the mud and ticks. Storm will appreciate that because he loves to be outside laying in the sun.

We took the rusted bottom section off the metal shelves we salvaged so now I can use them in the greenhouse. The upper part of the rusty leg sections can be cut off and reused, and I may do that. Otherwise, I'll add the spare shelf to this short section so there are four shelves. I'm happy we were able to rescue it from the scrapper and put it back to work.

The shelf is sitting on the salvaged decking.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pkg of wildflower seeds
2 brats w/buns
bottle of body lotion
bottle of water
pkg of fish fillets BOGO
free shipping on an ebay item
many magazines from a neighbor