Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
This week, a free pizza, box of stuffing, and container of chicken broth.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I got these free since I paid for them with gift cards that were a reward for donating blood. Eight pound bag of bird seed, 2 suet cakes, pole to hang bird feeder off back deck. Now I have suet feeders front and back.

I get about $5 worth of rewards every time I donate blood.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I get about $5 worth of rewards every time I donate blood.
You just reminded me I haven't gone in a while... guess I should be better about taking vitamins! (low iron) maybe if I start now, I can go before the end of the year...

Oh, but free stuff... Well, I just got "free shipping" on H's $500 Christmas toy... 🤣 🤣 🤣

But I got a little tube of lavender lotion as a holiday gift when I got my pedicure today, and at the free pile at the thrift shop I got a mug, a new (papers still inside) water bottle, some vintage-y ornaments, and a handful of different little note pads. Actually pretty happy about those... I'll give the lotion to DD18 tomorrow as an advent calendar gift.

Oh, and my cat just brought me a dead bird. Technically, that's not entirely free, though... he is looking at me now like I owe him tuna... he's not getting any, but still there is the expectation of payment, so not truly free...🤣

ETA- I almost forgot... H had Kohl's cash from buying my Christmas present, so I used that yesterday and bought myself a set of moisturizing socks and gloves (I need them, my hands are TRASHED.) Also I got one of those Hickory Farms gift sets with the crackers and sausage and stuff... I am not sure if we will save that for Christmas day with the NC family, or if we will try it here, just the 4 of us... DD14 once had the perfect summer sausage, but cannot remember the brand and has been on a quest ever since (and yes, this is the same one who is "vegetarian"-- except when she eats meat...) 🤣

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
What's the deal with the moisturizing gloves? Amazon says they're cotton. Reviews indicate people use them with various lotions. I've used those cheap brown cotton gloves the same way, only with fingertips cut off so I still have dexterity. Is there something I'm missing about the spa gloves?

For scaly feet, I use Vaseline smeared on the dry cracked parts and then cover that with plastic wrap, then put on socks I don't care about. Old holey ones work nicely. The ony flaw in that ointment is if I get up st night, because the Vaseline is slippery.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
SD- I like the cotton gloves best-- just use with moisturizer and then you sleep in them... but this year Kohl's didn't have those, and I wanted to use Kohl's cash so I went with what they had. They are fuzzy and supposedly infused with shea butter, which means the first time you wash them (especially the socks) it seems like they will be nothing special anymore... but in either case, I'll add lotion. I have to do it at night, because it would drive me nuts to not use my hands all day, even with the fingertips cut off... besides, my cuticles and nails are getting the worst of it.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
Thanks, Z. It sounds like what I've been using is pretty much the same. I do use them overnight. I've used the cuffs of worn out socks, too, with slits cut for thumbs. My biggest problem is the backs of my hands drying out. Hand sanitizer and antibacterial soaps are really hard on skin. Reminds me I should add gloves and lotion to the camping supplies, in case we actually get to go somewhere again.

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
Free bag of pretzels from DG. We were overcharged and cashier called manager. He was going to refund us the difference on 2 bags, but we had bought 3. He looked at receipt, said we had only been charged for 2, then said "merry Christmas" and that we could just have the 3rd bag. Weird, but I guess he didn't want to deal with it. I suppose the 3rd bag wasn't technically free, since we were overcharged for the 2 we had paid for. Close enough, and still $1.50 in our favor.

Forgot to pick up our 2 free Butterfingers at the grocery store.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts