Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to a yard sale yesterday, got 2 nice tumblers (tall glasses), 2 glass bowls, a tile with a blue bird on it, and a heavy square glass vase, perfect for storing utensils next to the stove. All free.

Also volunteered at a fundraiser for cancer center, so got free breakfast and lunch and a T-shirt, found a dollar but donated it back to the cause.

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
I don't think we've picked up too much stuff so far. We've salvaged a few things but not a lot.

We got two bike wheels with tires we may use to make a garden cart.

I picked up a single basin stainless steel sink to make into a small table garden.

We got two small bags of malted milk balls from one of our grocery stores.

I picked up a wooden gate panel at the dump, to replace a metal gate that's on the cat yard right now. I want to move the metal gate to the garden area. That saves me not only having to buy the lumber for it, but doing the work as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forgot, my sister came up to visit and brought two large planters, & some bras for me to re-sell on ebay, that she got in a bag sale at a thrift store.

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a similar one once, it was the best lotion I ever used!! And then they wouldn't tell me what it was when the product test was over. I would have bought some.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
2 items on ebay with free shipping
free shipping at another place
a couple of magazines from a neighbor
dd got a peach tea

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some address labels, greeting cards, and notepad from charity solicitations. Oh boy, am I on the list. I threw out my old address labels with my former address on them (I use them for temp labels for food containers, etc, if they have a lot of blank space on them.)

I still have a $2.50 check from a shady charity, that I am afraid to deposit in my bank. Yes, it is real, no, it doesn't have any fine print where you endorse signing you up for anything. I took it to the bank it is drawn on, they have a $7 fee to cash!! I looked up the charity on Charity Navigator, first time I ever saw one with a ZERO star rating. Wow.

OTOH, the homeless shelter/food shelf/ agency where I volunteer is the only one I have seen with a 100% rating.

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
I think I'd be shredding that check!

I made a nearly free planter for my mom this AM. It cost me a few screws and cable ties, but otherwise was made from free salvaged lumber and a couple salvaged oven racks for the trellis. Her tomato plant is going to love it. Building it was free entertainment for me.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I got some free supplies for my office at work. A small office that is currently being used for storage will be used as an actually office soon. So the office down the hall had to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Some of it is junk and expired manuals, but I got a package of legal sized notepads with the shrink wrap still on and a binder with a stripe pattern. Other people have been going through the pile as well. It is smaller than it was yesterday.

I also got a large zucchini. People occasionally put food for other people to take in the shared kitchen at work. Today there were zucchinis.

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got two small wicker bookshelves that someone was giving away. Used for general storage. I always need more storage.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I got a free bag of sweet potatoes today.

I work at the department of agriculture...sometimes people just give us food. Well it is a little more complicated than that. We work with people whose job it is to promote US food. Not stuff like MacDonald's and Hershey's - stuff like sweet potatoes, almonds, cranberries, rice. So occasionally we get samples.

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saturday was the annual yard sale by the Am. Legion, Sunday leftovers in the parking lot are free!! Got two matching oil lamps, with oil and wicks, no chimneys but I know where to get some cheap. Small table/stand. Set of 4, perfect cup and plate duos by Red Wing Pottery, 1950's era, will sell on Ebay. Bunch of other small stuff.

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
Husby got a little padded cooler and a water bottle free (well, taxpayer funded) for his department's fiftieth anniversary. I think the water bottle will be used for the dogs when we need to fill up a small cloth water bowl if we're walking with them, and I'm not sure what we'll do with the little cooler. It's one of the six-pack size ones we use for various things but never as a cooler.

We got three snack packs of deli meats from a grocery store.

We're not actively salvaging stuff lately so not getting many freebies.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
dd got a peach tea
3 tomatoes
1 green pepper
a couple of magazines
free shipping on another ebay item
2 waters
dd bought my lunch yesterday
AND.... we bought a new vehicle and while negotiating the price dh got them to add a tow package and remote start at no additional charge.

Can't believe we're already at the end of the month, what happened to it??

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
leftovers from the rummage sale - 4-5 books, music cassette, glass chimney for my oil lamp, some yarn, LL Bean fleece sweatshirt. Some postage stamps from a seller at the flea market when I bought an item.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
dd got a peach tea
3 tomatoes
1 green pepper
a couple of magazines
free shipping on another ebay item
2 waters
dd bought my lunch yesterday
AND.... we bought a new vehicle and while negotiating the price dh got them to add a tow package and remote start at no additional charge.
A friend is moving and gave me

a 50's era chrome kitchen table
a 3 shelf kitchen cart
coffee maker

G

·
Technically it's August now, but until a thread for this month is made I'll post here :)

Today I got...
1. 8 marigold seedlings
2. 8 petunia seedlings
3. 12 pack of Charmin toilet paper (not completely free, but just $1.07)
4. 6 easy reading children's books

The seedlings will need some tender care to survive because most of them are pretty dead, but I'm confident most can survive if I put the work into them. They were marked down to 23 cents each at Walmart, but I spoke to the garden center manager and we agreed that no one was going to buy them, SO she gave them all to me :)

The toilet paper was from Staples. I wouldn't normally buy toilet paper there, but I had a coupon for $10 off a $10 purchase and they were $10.99 before taxes. Normally I would spend that coupon on school supplies, but my in-laws wanted to get my son's school stuff so I don't have to worry about that right now.

The books were in the free bin outside of our local Second & Charles. They're older and the covers all have rips, but the books are great and mostly about science - and we're science geeks in this house :)

G

·
Oh! Also, I found a Disney gift card when I was cleaning the house. I got it two or three years ago for Christmas and never used it. Thanks to that my son is getting the Cars 3 backpack he wanted and for FREE for me :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts