Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bummer about the faucet!
I took a donation out to the community garden and the food distribution boss caught me for '3rd harvest', an extra 2nd harvest food salvage truck had come. Fresh carrots, cantaloupe and extremely green bananas. 5 items from a bin of mixed dry and canned goods so I chose animal crackers, can of organic tomatoes, can of beans and a pack of ramen (use the noodles for soup or a snack and chuck the salt packet). As much sugar free apple sauce as we wanted so I took 5 cans for pancake topping or muffin add in later in the winter. There were boxes and boxes of that. On the way out the boss again caught me and added 2 2lb packs of frozen chicken parts and 1 lb beer brats! Cripes. I gave away the chicken back at the office. It was bone-in so great for souls but I have so much already. I hope they get more folks out to pick up the rest of the food. It was a lot and the boss hates to see it wasted. The meat is in a freezer so it will keep a while. He said they even had venison in the morning. If people don't pick it up at the butcher eventually it gets donated.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
"free" items today using grocery points: 1 lb butter, can of condensed soup, 1 lb frozen vegs, can of cranberry sauce. Yarn from the charity to be used for making more items for them. A nice selection this time, I put in the request and someone assembles a bag of donated skeins for me to pick up. Kind of a fun "grab bag".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Two medium pizzas, one bacon chicken, one feta and spinach. We live on 65th and the lady on 66th at the same house number ordered pizza (which we normally don't since it's so expensive now plus delivery fee, plus tip). Pizza delivery person literally left it on the concrete in front of the door in the rain, no doorbell, knock or anything. If they'd knocked we would have told them wrong address.

Roomie looked out to see if his Amazon delivery was there and said "Did you order pizza? It's on the ground!" He rescued both boxes from the pouring rain before the cardboard soaked through. Called the number on the box and the lady who answered said "I just called them back because my order says delivered and it sure wasn't. I guess it's your lucky day, they're making me more pizza." Because of Covid they can't take the pizzas back.

Roomie and I are living the high life here! What's really funny is he loves chicken and bacon, and I've been trying to cut down on red meat so I jokingly said "too bad they're not vegetarian" before he read the box and said "isn't feta and spinach veggie?" Divine pizza intervention? Whatever it is, I'm sure thankful.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
A friend of my son sent me some sweet potatoes today was going make candied potatoes but they are more baking size think i will bake them in air fryer see how they turn out,

·
Registered
545 Posts
Tis the season for free stuff I guess.
Another 2nd harvest today...almond butter was the score of the moment. And it looks like someone might have dropped a pallet of cyrus o'leary pies because those were available but a few, mostly the fruit ones, were sort of jammed up against one side of containers. I think the cherry pie will still be good.
A friend has a husband on disability missing paychecks due to insurance shenanigans so she wanted to go. I didn't need much. But, took the asparagus and carrots. Might ferment some of them. There were also bags of kale salad. I see a greens and carrots soup in my future

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Maggie, I think the universe likes you better than me! You got vegetables, I got a kitkat, 20 oz sprite, and lemon pepper seasoning--- the universe is trying to give me diabetes and heart disease!!! I found those things in my bag after I swung through Walmart this morning, and I was in too much of a hurry to drive it back. So, I gave the sprite to DD18, ate the kitkat, and will donate the seasoning.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have baked them in microwave and they were good but haven't tried baking sweet potatoes in air fryer have regular potatoes and they were very good.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts