Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD going into junior year. She has not started studying for SAT/ACTs. We got her a book and she's done a little. It seems that most of the kids she knows are getting private tutors or taking classes. We are on the low end of the scale of a town with a lot of McMansions, money appears not to be a problem. She is a great student and highly motivated. But can we get the same results from books and computer programs, rather than expensive tutors? I do not want to have her not do as well because I failed to provide what she needed, kwim? What do "average" families do? Because I learned darn quick not to try to keep up with these Joneses!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Buddy took the semester class offered by the school. His score really improved and that increased his academic scholarship.

But the cost was $0 for us. It was an elective course at his school and boy did it have lots of homework and studying

Reactions: Bernice

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My DS, same school, just had a couple of classes about it. But there might have been an after school session that met more often, I'll have to find out. DS did no prep because he planned to go to a community college for two years first and they didn't care about the test scores. Now he is taking a year off to "chill", good thing he is living with the ex! So I can't go by that knucklehead, lol

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
DD, age 13 and in 7th grade, just took the ACT last year. We didn't do anything except get her a few books on how to take the test and what she might expect. She did pretty well. As expected she was good in math and not great in English Language Arts. She'll re-take the test this year to see if she can improve her score.

That's what I'd recommend. Have your child take the test and see how she scores. If you don't like the score, she can take it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts