Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a child, I used to dream of being an investigator. *LOL* As a teen, I dreamt of writing novels. As an adult, I dream of making a difference.

What are/were your dreams? What steps have you taken to making your dreams "real". What prevents you from achieving your dream?

Sara

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went through all the normal childhood phases...
the "I'm going to be a nurse phase," where I read all the nurse stories (that one lasted a long time)
the "archeaologist" phase...brought on by an issue of Cobblestone magazine (still have the issue too, clutterbug me)
Those were my big "childhood" ones...nursing was pushed by my family, archaelogy was STRONGLY discouraged.

We won't even TALK about how many majors I went through in college...gee, it changed at least six or eight times, lol...and don't think of the minors!

I have little desire to go back to school again (though I wouldn't mind a home ec major "for fun" or a nutrition major just to learn more to improve OUR health at home). My dream is basically to remain a stay at home/homeschooling mom, and when my son grows up to be a stay at home wife. I'm pretty old-fashioned really, I guess, lol...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
As a child I dreamed about dating Bobby Sherman....how many of us remember him?

Now I dream about dh retiring ( that will be in 4 years ) and the time we will have together.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My dreams growing up were to Marry a millionaire, live in a mansion and to have a sports car.

None of which happened, not a bad thing I think.

My dreams now are to get out & stay out of debt, to live on a couple acres and be able to raise Nubian Goats, chickens and horses. Have a garden and be more self sufficent. I want my kids and granddaughter to have great lives but also to learn that simple pleasures are more rewarding than extravagant purchases and debt.

Scooby

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I used to dream about writing for a music magazine and meeting and falling in love with the rock star of my dreams. I got the job, met the rock star, and realized the dream was better than the reality of both the man and the job.
Jump ahead 10 years...
Now I dream about getting to occasionally sleep in late (my step son is up at 5 a.m. on the weekends), finishing work on our attic studio space, finding the perfect pink rose bush that will grow in the yard, and most importantly, having a baby to adopt by the summer.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Bump

As a child I dreamt of having lots of kids and adopting. I always wanted to be a teacher.

As a teen I dreamt of getting out of school as fast as I can and marrying someone rich and famous. I also dreamt of working with special needs kids or adults.

As an adult, I did adopt and now homeschool and our 3 youngest have special needs. We also have 6 kids. I still dream of working in an orphange somewhere in the world once my kids are a bit older, of travelling to India for a lifetime dream vacation and of helping all those I can in any way I can.

How about you?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Wow, Homestead mamma, you are a tough act to follow!

As a child, I dreamed of being a writer. At 12 or 13 I had the desire to be the next Erma Bombeck. I wanted to make people laugh, AND I wanted to have a syndicated newspaper column.

A few years later, I wanted to get married and live happily ever after, staying home to take care of my family.

The bad news is, neither one has come true. I never went to college or became a writer. I did get married (at 16) and become a mother very soon afterwards. The SAHM dream never worked out either, as my income has always been desperately needed.

At 40, I still have a dream of someday being debt free and living in a small town. I will keep you posted on that one.

Deb

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
As a child I dreamed of being a singer! Wow, then I realized I can't sing!! Now, I dream of going to Egypt someday and working on a dig. I would love to uncover some piece of ancient Egypt! But really that is just a dream!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I figured I would be waay up in the corporate world by ow. I went to college, entered the corporate world...and hated it! I knew I wanted kids and have gone to great lengths (surgery!) to have them. I enjoy being a SAHM (mostly) and working only a few hours a week for pay. I also assumed I woudl be living in the city since I grew up in a small town. Guess what? I am in a small town remarbably like th etone I grew up in! Do we come full circle or what?:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts