Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My landord just gave me the ok to use a good amount of space in our backyard to start a vegetable garden, but I am new to this. Actually I have no clue LOL

What do I need to start it, and how do I go about it? What vegetables are the easiest for a beginner? Or if someone could direct me to a website with this information that would be great.

I think my kids would really enjoy this and I have always wanted to do this, but never got the ok from previous landords until now.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Okay, I am not familiar with the climate/growing season up north, however, my first suggestion would be to go to the library and see what you can find.

Next would be to call your local government office and see if they have a department that can help you. Ours is called the Henry County extension agent and they answer all kinds of questions on soil, bugs, growing stuff. We have a high school in this area that actually has a greenhouse and horiticulture department. Check around and see if you have something like that. They can point you in the right direction plant wise.

Next think about what you really would like to eat and how much you can stand of it. I over planted tomatoes on more than one occassion. I ate tomatoes until they were coming out my ears and then froze all I could. I would start out small and grow as your knowledge grows.

Plant marigolds around your veggies to help with the bugs and try not to use the poison spray stuff. Organic is better. Good luck I think it will be fun for you and your kids.

pat

·
27,948 Posts
What a great hobby to get kids started on.
Tips~ I'd pick veggies that the kids enjoy eating.(carrots, green beans,cherry tomatoes)
~pick a sunny spot, with good drainage
~Find out what zone you are in.
~ start small, you can always make your garden bigger next year.
~weed everyday, those babys pop up over night.
~ have fun!!!!

Here is a really kid friendly site.hth.:)
http://www.raw-connections.com/garden/
And more info.
http://frugalliving.about.com/library/weekly/aa032001a.htm

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi! I live in NH. The easiest things up here to grow are green beans (pole beans), cukes, zukes, summer squash, tomatoes, salad greens

If you buy green beans and cukes, make sure they're the climbing varieties, and put them in tomato cages to maximize your garden space. Tomato plants will grow in 5 gallon buckets, and they need alot of water, or else you will get splits on them. If you do salad greens, plant 1/2 the package, then plant the other 1/2 a few weeks later, so you won't be bombarded all at once.

As you know, New England soil has a ton of rocks, so carrots and potatos do not do well unless you do a serious amount of tilling- something you probably don't want to do if you're just starting out. But to get around that, stack a few old tires up, fill them with loam and plant your carrots and potatoes in there.

And don't bother with hot peppers, it doesn't get hot enough, long enough to get heat out of them. Watermelon doesn't work too well either.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or e-mail me [email protected] we do a veggie garden every year and have had luck with most things we plant.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for all your information and help :) I appreciate it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts