Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is where this question should be..Sorry if it is not..
I was just wondering what things you have found to be good deals at dolar genral. FOod and other. What was the quality? I was in there today and saw some things but was unsure if the quality was good. Thanks
Amy

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I buy bread, milk, ice cream, cleaning products, socks and underwear, toliet paper and paper towels, health and beauty aids, and other things at Dollar General. There is also a Dollar General market that I go to and I buy fruits and veggies and other food there...

The quality has always been good and I have never had a problem with anything I have bought there....

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I actually like several of Dollar General's store brands better than the 'name' brands. For instance, the taco and spaghetti seasoning mixes are 3/$1. I think they have better flavor than McCormick's or French's. I also like their cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soups (.50) as well as Campbell's. I used to buy their hot roll mixes ($1) they're as good as Pillsbury,imho. The store here doesn't carry them anymore. :( The only product I've been disappointed in is their qt. size food storage bags. The 'ziplock' didn't hold.
Dollar General is growing more and more popular here where I live. :)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I usually get cleaning supplies and DG brand of "pantene" shampoo. Sometimes deoderant and that type of thing if they have the right brand. I also buy cards there 2/$1. I don't like to spend a lot on cards since they just get thrown away. I haven't purchased much in the way of food, but I did try the black olives and it was like biting into wax. I threw them away. I'm just starting to go to DG more often as well as Dollar tree.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone tried there cereal? I was thinking about trying the corn flakes and the frosted flakes..
Amy

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I love Dollar General! I buy cleaning products, health and beauty products, some food, picture frames, and cards there. Big money saver!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
They sell a toilet cleaner called "The Works" for a dollar. It works better than the stuff I was paying $10. for.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I like to get paper towels, toilet tissue, kleenex, cleaning supplies, some scrapbook supplies, pens, markers, a few food items, but have never bought any of their frozen goods yet. Ive bought my Dd training bras, socks and jewelry there also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I buy all of our cleaning supplies and hygiene products there as well as baby wipes, cards, school supplies, under garments. Actually I buy a lot of thier stuff that we need.

As far as thier food, We love thier strawberry newtons. Only a $1.00. I buy sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, spices, tuna, etc. We like the products we have tried. I also but thier marachino cherries for $1.00 a jar. They are just as good as what you would pay $3.00 for at the grocery store.

Try some of thier products and let us know what you think.

The only thing I have been dissapointed in was the food qt storage bags. I use thier ziploc sandwich bags all of the time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
They have good prices on their dried beans, I've found. The creamed soup is a good buy, also. I've found they're feminine products are about the same as normal sales prices.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will definitely try some more stuff out. I have shopped there before but not really for food. I did pick up a can of chicken and dumpling and a pound of pasta. THe chicken and dumplings were 1.50 and the pasta was .60. I bought it to use together. I thought I could stretch the dumplings by serving over the pasta.
I also bought some white rain shamoo for .75 and some aquafresh toothpaste for a dollar.
I will be eat the chicken and dumpling sin jsut a few so I will let you all know how it is..
Amy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went back to DG today. I bought 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. 2 cans of tuna, a bar of zote soap, 1 box of generic pop tarts
I will be going back to buy the 10 lb bag of rice for $2 and the big bag of pinto beans(i thik it was 5 lbs not sure) for $3.
Amy

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I buy cleaning supplies, food, toys, etc. I have never had a problem with anything that I've bought from there!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I buy toothpaste, "The Works" cleaners, hand sanitizer, and I've bought underwear and shorts on occasion. They take coupons, so when I find a coupon for $1 off a tube of Crest, I get it FREE!!. I also take coupons for "The Works" cleaners in there and get them for about 55 cents. I love Dollar General! I've bought some snack-type foods in there, but never tried canned/frozen food.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I find myself using Dollar General more and more lately. They do accept coupons. I got about 20 two-bar packs of Zest soap (FREE after coupons) a couple of months ago. I like to buy the Sweet Sue brand canned white meat chicken. They sell it for $1, it is 5 oz., I believe. I can frequently find coupons for 50¢ off one can of this chicken. It is very good for chicken salad, or a cheap casserole. I have about eight cans of it in the pantry, purchased for 50¢ each after coupons. They also sell 16 oz. bottles of Nestle' Chocolate or Strawberry syrup for $1. There are frequently coupons out for this, ranging from 40-60¢ off one. Another good one to combine with coupons is the 10 oz. squeeze bottles of Hellman's mayo for $1. This smaller size is not available in most grocery stores. After coupon, your cost is 50-75¢.

I have purchased cleaning supplies at DG, frequently with coupons. LOL. I use alot of coupons. You can sometimes find a printable coupon on-line for $2 off Simple Green all-purpose cleaner. They sell this at DG for (you guessed it) $2.00. Free!

If you are a couponer (like me), take your coupon organizer into Dollar General and just scout the grocery, health and beauty, and cleaning/paper goods sections. You will find some fantastic deals, like my Zest deal above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts