Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two weeks, I have not had an oven. And my mind has ventured on to other options. The computer board of my oven went out, but the stove still is operable.

Fortunately, AND hopefully, it is getting fixed today. (praying here)

Over the past couple of years I have been studying about adobe ovens and other bread ovens. I am hoping to build one someday... especially as we make a transition on to some long-hoped for land/property.
But, I have wondered what the options are if we actually lost our oven and couldn't bake.

I sure would like to hear of what some of you have done.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
My oven was broken for almost 2 years - between the microwave, crockpot, solar oven, electric skillet - I almost didn't miss it.

You can bake a lot of stuff in a crockpot on a rack, same with the electric skillet.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I can see what the others are saying.........and would agree BUT I sure would miss my oven...............the stove, not so much as I seldom use it....but would really miss my oven as I love to bake.

But it sure could do nothing but help the waistline!! :laugh:

·
19,119 Posts
We use our toaster oven more than our big oven these days - and the crockpot is wonderful too!!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
get an 18-20 quart roaster oven

·
Registered
344 Posts
We once had to live in a hotel for 7 months due to a military move, DH changing jobs (within the Army) and then moving overseas where there wasn't housing avaliable for 2 months.

I used my crockpot almost every single day. I even figured out how to do casseroles in them. When we were getting debt free, I used my toaster oven a lot, but there was fewer of us then, not sure how big your family is.

Reactions: Nishu

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
When we lose power here (about once a year)

I'm without an oven. The hardest thing is not being able to make bread I've found. Last year I made pan bread and pan cookies. Not my favorite, but hot bread when it is < 0 outside is a wonderful thing to have for the person who just cleared the driveway or chopped wood for an hour so you can stay warm or....

Judi

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I can see what the others are saying.........and would agree BUT I sure would miss my oven...............the stove, not so much as I seldom use it....but would really miss my oven as I love to bake.

But it sure could do nothing but help the waistline!! :laugh:
I know, right?! I think I'd be so much thinner if I didn't know how to bake... :laugh:

If I didn't have an oven, I'd probably buy a larger toaster oven and a large crockpot. I was actually thinking about buying a larger crockpot anyway after going to a chili cook off and seeing all the extra large crockpots that everyone else had. I'm suffering from crock pot inadequacy.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I was about 7 months without an oven this past winter. It broke just before Christmas, the repair guy was supposed to come on Dec. 23 to fix it and never showed up. Afterwards I didn't bother; it was just over a year old and since it wasn't fixed in time for Christmas dinner anyway I just refused to fix it out of spite.

We did the Christmas turkey on the barbeque, it was delicious. I did casseroles and side dishes in the toaster oven; I learned that I could roast in my crock pot - it even has a meat thermometer built in that will shut it off when the roast is done; I discovered that some things, like corn bread, could be done in the cast iron skillet instead of the oven; I even baked cookies, loaves and cupcakes in the toaster oven. We barbequed a lot, which is great because barbequing is someone else's job ;).

The only thing I couldn't do was bake bread. For everything else I learned new ways to cook, many better than the oven, and I also branched out and learned to make new things.

Then I moved and got a new oven :)

·
Banned
952 Posts
This is why you have a Coleman oven. It sits on top of either type of grills. Whatever you can bake in a regular oven you can do in a Coleman oven.
Also, a dutch oven and an open fire.

Think on this...what would you do if you had no stove what-so-ever. No electric or gas/propane. THEN how would you cope?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thefrug, this is the main reason I we are in the process of obtaining some rocket stoves. But, I am still working on what to use on the rocket stove to make things that need to be baked.

I have seen these coleman box stoves that you can put on top of your cooker. And they have been on my mind.

Our oven did get fixed. But this event still has me thinking and planning.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I didn't have an oven from May to end of Oct. We were under construction. Just like the others, I used my Nesco (love it) roaster, crockpot, microwave & grill. I would even fix a meatloaf, in a crockpot, wrapped in foil. But I did miss my oven, but, I think if I had a toaster oven, I would have been ok. My grlfriend once brought over a choc cake, because I missed a homemade one! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.