Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really look forward to New Year's Eve.

We don't go anywhere or do anything special, but it is one of my favorite nights of the year.

We rent a kids movie and a movie for DH and I. We get cheap sub sandwiches and Fritos from QuickCheck and eat in the living room (this is a HUGE treat for the kids, as our rule is food in the kitchen only) while we watch the kid movie. Then, the kids go to the basement and play video games or watch their tv shows while DH and I watch our movie in the living room. They come back up after our movie is over and we all hang out watching kid shows until around 11:50 when we wake up DS8 (he tries so hard to stay up but never makes it, but DD and DS6 are still going strong) and we all watch the ball drop and then we all hit the hay.

It's just a really nice night with our family.

What do you do? Any special traditions?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Gosh that sounds like a lovely tradition!! DH & I are not huge party people so going out to dinner or dressing up to get pushed around at a club with overly loud music isn't our thing.

Our plan - we've done this twice so far - watch all the variety 'live' coverage shows leading up to the countdown (or a movie) while noshing on hors doeuvres / appies & shrimp ring throughout the night. It means a lot of up and down the stairs for me but its still kind of nice to have the treats with a small bottle of champagne to toast the new year. :)

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
In the past I've made a bunch of snacks and appetizers and we've got on our computers and played online games with friends around the world until the wee hours. But we're not involved in any MMOs right now, so DH and I will probably fire up our new copies of XCOM:Enemy Unknown (gifts to each other) and shoot alien invaders late into the night.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
We usually attend a get together with friends at someone's house. Last year it was our house, so we're going out this year. We have an easy dinner, sit around and chat while the kids play all together and we watch the end of year shows together. We usually come home around 2-3 AM. Our tradition is x-mas with family, New Year with friends!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
We have a list of people wanting us to go bar hopping all night long. I'm thinking a quiet night at home or a party here sounds better. I did mention this to everyone asking us to go out so I very likely will end up with a houseful. That's a ok with me! Dh can fire up the grill and keep things simple.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Our plans usually depend on whether hubby is working or not. We don't got out because hubby doesn't wanna deal with a bunch of drunkards after being around them all the time at work.

Hubby is off this year (yay!) and we are keeping it simple. Im going to make soup in my crockpot, mini pizzas for kids, have various snackies, etc. We will rent a movie or two. We have invited one of my girlfriends and her little boy over.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Ski :D
That's all. It's fun

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We have a "family party". We pick a handful of movies off Netflix. We make "party nachos". They are nachos with all the fixin's and that crappy liquid nachos cheese sauce like you get at places. We watch the movies until it is almost midnight, flip over to one of the stations showing the ball drop and watch it go down, then flip back over to the movie and finish it up, then we go to bed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We usually tends to go to a gathering of some sort. Either us grown up in a party, or the whole family to a familyparty. Turkey or dried, salted and smoked lambrib (pinnekjøtt in norwegian) is on the menu.
At midnigth there are fireworks everywhere, it is still the only day when we are alowed to do fireworks at home. We dont buy fireworks because all of the neighbours have and I am not found of the safety around the whole thing, but we do buy sparklers for the kids.

Reactions: oheoh's momma

·
Registered
500 Posts
We usually chill out as well, make good food, watch the festivities on tv, maybe we will have a bonfire this year, and jump around and scream when it is the new year....then we go to bed ;)
New year's day, we have a brunch that we go to and hang out with our friends. The boys will be here this year and our oldest will be partying with his friends and is sleeping over there.

·
Registered
984 Posts
We don't do anything. My younger daughter's (13) friend is having a sleepover party for her friends and she wants to go but I still have to do a check in with the Mom and make sure they are supervised and no boys will be there for the overnight portion. We really try to stay off the roads and safely at home on New Years reading, watching tv or hanging out on the computer.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
well.. this year, not being a 'usual', I will chill at a friend's house. Have some drinks and probably watch a movie (hope I don't fall asleep.)

·
Super Moderator
2,011 Posts
I have never been out to a big bash on NYE. Not a party girl. We usually have a treat at home, wine coolers and chips and dip. THis year we are having cake and ice cream sundaes.
NYD (1/1) is our anniversary so I fix a nice dinner while DH watches football. Hubba-hubba.

The first few years after we got married we would go out to dinner for our anniversary. Then I started getting the sad puppy eyes, and did I really want him to miss all those FB games on TV?
So I would just as soon cook at home, I love to cook, and keep DH happy.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Happy early anniversary josantoro! Why not have the best of both worlds - let DH watch his football and go out a couple of days after, hopefully when all the New Years hype along with its hyped up pricing is over? (should you want to go out to celebrate)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hubby and I snack all evening (eat dinner early) and play cards.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts