Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a new energy efficient refrigerator. I know I could get a nice one at any of the major big box stores. But I'm in love with these that cost over twice as much! And the shipping to my house would be awful, too. My frugal self says its not a good use of money... but I want the entire set - refrigerator, stove and dishwasher!

Guess I'll just keep my old appliances... :(
Big Chill Fridge – Vintage inspired Retro Appliances

·
Registered
924 Posts
you save for it

I have a totally expensive want right now and I opened up an ING account and am putting $20 a week into it for my want.

Granted my want is only $500, where you're looking at thousands but the process is the same.

You save for it and then by the time you have the money saved, reassess if you still want it. If you do great, you have the money, and if you don't, great, you have yourself a nice little cash cushion.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I want to get a new energy efficient refrigerator. I know I could get a nice one at any of the major big box stores. But I'm in love with these that cost over twice as much! And the shipping to my house would be awful, too. My frugal self says its not a good use of money... but I want the entire set - refrigerator, stove and dishwasher!

I understand and can completely relate...:cheerup:

Reactions: RaineyDaye

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

I calculate how many hours I would have to work in order to obtain it. I quickly realize that the item is just not worth it to me.:toast:

·
8,714 Posts
~I had that site marked for so long because I have a retro kitchen and I love those. No way I could justify the cost though. I got a big box store fridge and it has a bit of a retro feel to it. It has a curved top and front.
I'm getting a real vintage gas stove though! I'm using a 30+ year old gas stove now but it's hideous. But it's nice knowing the old stoves work just fine! So it seems more like a good investment to me than a retro fridge. The vintage stove should retain its value and appreciate.~

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

Like frugal-is-fun said, you start saving. But ... and this happens too often to ignore .... sometimes you find that the attraction diminishes.

That's a win-win: you've got some money saved, and you don't have buyer's regret!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
as long as you dont go into new debt to buy it -/ or get into trouble paying off debt while saving for it - i agree you save for it .

sometimes once you have had the time go by while saving - you decide you dont want it anymore also .

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Oh, I love those refrigerators. I want!

Not much help. :)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
It's ok to want it. I carry pictures around in my purse of new kitchen for maybe some day. It's ok to save for it too as long as you realize that by doing that you are giving up on somethign else.??

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Hang on to it like a squid on a ship... refuse to let go, even when the sales people prod you with push-brooms!

Eventually they will have to sell it for half price because it has permanent dents where you had your death grip...

Or... you can save and buy piece by piece, You said you wanted the whole set... you didn't say you wanted them all at once ;)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Greebo prepares his wet noodles for a future lashing...

You think about what I'll do to you if you buy those and don't pay cash! ;)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greebo prepares his wet noodles for a future lashing...

You think about what I'll do to you if you buy those and don't pay cash! ;)
:lol: But think of all the points I could earn if I used my credit card!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I just look at what I have and be thankful that mine still work. Then I start saving up for the ones I want or I get ones that are close but cost way less. :)

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I don't think frugality means doing without things we want. I think it's more about prioritizing the things we want to do with our money, and using it for the things that truly make us happy.....so if it'll bring someone joy to see and use those expensive appliances, and they have worked and saved the money to purchase them without going into debt, I say get them and enjoy! But if when you prioritize your spending you find there are other things that would bring you more joy, focus on those instead. It's just a matter of setting priorities and making choices that are consistent with those priorities.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Y'know, they're so different from the modern fridge look that I'd really think hard for 6 months or so before taking the plunge on the first piece.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My cousin has been searching for a convection oven...she had the make and model all picked out and didnt like the price tag that was attached to it. Her brother found her the exact model she was looking for at a scratch and dent store in his city for less than 1/2 price and he bought it and delivered it to her for the cost of the unit. It has a small dent on one of the sides and it would be the side that is against the cupboard! Maybe you can watch and search...watch Kijiji or Craigslist and pick up actual working vintage pieces or maybe someone is changing up their kitchen. Advertise in free want ads too, you just never know when you will find what you are looking for at the right price.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Another good thing about saving a long time for things, is that the price will usually come down. It happened to me with my chandelier. I used to go "visit" it about 2 times a month. It was my "dream" light, but "untouchable for us budget wise. Well finally, after about 5 months of torturing myself with my so called visits, I looked up, and the light was half price...WOO-HOO! I had some saved for it, and now it was affordable. And it gets better....about a week later, we had to run in to grab a few things, and we noticed the price was even lower. :) I went back the next day, receipt in hand, and got the difference. We also spotted the matching entrance light on clearance as well. So I guess it's true when they say..."All Good Things Come to Those Who Wait"! It was a lesson learned for me. :)

So I wouldn't be one bit surprised if you waited and wound up getting it cheaper. The only problem is that usually by then, the newer, bigger model comes out, with even more "bells & whistles". :nerv2: It really never ends, does it now?

Hope your dream comes true!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I can see why you're in love with those appliances, they're adorable!

When I renovated my kitchen, I wanted a Wolf Range and professional style hood. Together, they cost well over $10,000 so I saved and made due with my old stove even after the rest of the kitchen was finished. Eventually, I got the stove and hood I wanted and I found my passion for cooking. Best $10,000+ I ever spent!

Start saving. If you still want the appliances in a few months' time, devise a savings plan to make it possible. If the desire passes, well, you've got some money saved.

Being frugal means using your resources wisely, it does not mean depriving yourself of things you really want. Save in some areas, indulge in others. It's a good life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always seem to fall in love with the expensive stuff, no matter if it is appliances or anything else. You just have to set aside the money you'll need to buy the expensive stuff.

I used to enjoy window shopping, just to pass the time. I don't do it any more. I find it's easier to not look at things out of my price range and budget.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts