Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your schedule from day to day? I feel bored and summer is just beginning. I think there is only so much house cleaning you can do. What do you do to keep yourself from getting bored every day? I know you ladies work hard inside your home to maintain it and keep a happy home.

Maybe it is just going to take me a little longer to adjust to not working outside the home every day. Usually I don't feel this way. I usually look forward to summer break, but I feel there is something more I should be doing.

Anyone willing to give their daily schedule?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I felt this way after staying home to care for our ill MIL. Especially after she passed away and I had the whole day to myself.

Make a routine for everyday.
I also make a special thing for myself.
Today I go to the library to pickup books. Stop at the grocery if I need to and rent a dollar movie or stop at the garden store on the way home, just to look and get ideas.

I also plan the day around the weather. If it's nice like it's going to be for a few days then it's outside garden work that i'm focusing on. Early in the morning out of the heat of the day.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OMG, I would SO LOVE to be a SAHM. That was my dream all of my life, can you believe it? I've worked every day since I got out of college.

My best friend Lori is a SAHM and she is ALWAYS on the go. She says, just because I am a SAHM doesn't mean I stay home all the time. I believe it!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I about went crazy when I first strted staying home. I found if I had a 'schedule' I felt much better.

Mornings-I devote any cleaning, errand running, appointments to morning. I have a rough daily routine. I also make sure I have everything for dinner and get that made or started if possible. My kids are to do their chores in the morning too.

After lunch-This I leave for fun, ie. park, library, beach or time consuming projects like painting, refinishing, total closet cleaning, whatever. (I much prefer the park and beach, lol)/

Evening-Ours seem devoted to kids sporting events. If we are home, dh and I will take a walk or sit together in the back yard like a date. If we are home we also like to play cards with the kids or maybe watch a dvd.

You can be as regimented or lax as you like. I have a friend who is very structured. Mon=laundry, Tues=bathrooms, etc. That is too strict for me, but I do like having a plan for each part of the day or I could waste all my time cleaning, and that isn't the point of me being at home.

·
Registered
814 Posts
we're actually getting involved with lots of new activities this summer!

Exercise class at church (free childcare) from 9-10AM Tues/Thurs
playgroups on Mondays and Wednesday (usually around lunch time) with ladies in the area
Monday morning tumbling for DD. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I keep a schedule, I eat out with a friend one day a week, I volunteer at the church once a week. I do take computer consulting work when it comes up and I can handle it on my own, right now I'm a little rusty computer skill wise. I OAMC the shopping day after payday if I've hit a good buy on meat. If my works sufficiently done, I paint or work on a craft or decorating project for the house. During the pleasant months I work in my gardens, early in the day when it gets hot. Sometimes I do my chores according to the weather especially during the gardening season. I am allergic to the sun and can't stay out at all in the summer so I can't swim and do stuff like that. I have friends who have pools but I usually have to spend my time in the shade!

I have been a stay at home quite a bit during my 35 year marriage and I am not bored.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Michelle, this is pretty much my day most days:

Get up around 6:30-7:00
Have cereal, surf FV and read email while I eat.
Usually get around to doing some laundry and picking up and putting up around 8:30-9:00.
Load/unload dishwasher, whichever it is.
Make the bed, dress for my workout.
Workout for 45 min.-hour.
Shower, do hair, makeup, get dressed for the day.
Afternoons are dedicated to things like cleaning (a couple of rooms per day till I go through the whole house, give it a good top to bottom dust, vac, sweep/mop, clean the bathrooms and kitchen, etc.) and bookwork (bills, bank statements, dad bills now). This is also when I buy my groceries, run my errands, cook supper.... . During this time of year I will get outside and get some sun for about an hour too.... . I will sometimes have an hour to kill after lunch with Gripey (12-1 everyday) and I will reply to emails or write a letter or something. After lunch is also when I do things like chirpractor's appointments, haircuts, dog grooming appointments.
I am rarely ever still around here. I sometimes think, where does all my time go? I feel as if I have to stay hooked up most of the time to keep things done, honestly. I wish I could be bored every now and then.....lol.
Good luck with finding a routine, I'm sure you'll figure it all out.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I too would sooooooo love to be a SAHM. I work a FT 7 am to 3:30 pm M-F, I Mystery Shop and do Product Demos on the side, I try and do at least one household chore every evening after the supper kitchen is cleaned up, I also try to spend a couple hours of family time with the family. Doing paperwork, menu planning, crocheting, gardening, rest of cleaning, laundry, more cooking, grocery shopping and everything that didn't get done thru the week on the weekends. I NEVER have enough hours in the day. I wake up at 4:30 am every morning just so I can have a couple hours of "me" time every day. It's busy but I still feel very blessed to be so busy!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Mystery Shopping..... that would be so much fun! Just SHOPPING would be fun! I get up at 4:15 am like you but it's because I leave my house in 45 minutes after that. I think I need a day off :)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I haven't been bored yet. My life is very busy. I do clean and garden, wash vehicles, mow grass, clip coupons, run the kdis around, do errands, shop Goodwill, etc. For the summer, we play in our pool, have cookouts, play badminton, take walks, fish at our local lake, visit a few zoo's, go to the library, play a round or two of miniature golf, do a weekend trip to my sister's house, play cards on the deck outside, pick berries, I love this time of year!!!! I ususally do my household chores in the am, and have the rest of the afternoon for family time etc. We also go to local community festivals, and some flea markets. Cheap dates, we don't spend lots of $$ because we don't have it. You will find your way, it just may a take a bit to set up your routine.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I get up at 6am to get 3 kids out the door for school.
After they leave I get 2 yr up to have breakfast and go for a walk.
If she is content playing by herself then I do some housecleaning and surf the net some.
Play with dd some and have lunch, then we cuddle up and read. Most days she naps after reading.
Then I usually do chores and surf the net some more, while she naps. After her nap we play outside and walk to the bus stop to get the other kids.
Then it is homework and fix dinner. Baths and bedtime.
In the summer I find all the free and cheap things we can do with the kids.
We go to concerts in the park, there is free movies in a park not far from us this summer so we will check that out. We will take picnics to the park and public pool. A trip or 2 to the zoo and the beach. Our library kicks off their summer reading program on june 13, they have different activities that day. Send the kids on treasure hunts. We have nights where we stay out late just to lay in the yard and look at the stars.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Being a sahm can be a wonderful thing if you will have the right attitude about it. :) It took me awhile to start taking it seriously. A schedule is a wonderful thing for a sahm. You don't have to have every minute scheduled. I have a Master Schedule that I use, but if I'm not always on schedule, I'm ok with that. It just gives me a general idea of what I need to be doing when. But, the best thing about it is that it makes me feel like I have more of a purpose. Every night I write out a to do list for the next day, and I try my best to get everything done. It blesses our family when I take my job, as a sahm seriously. I'm much less stressed when I have goals for each day and get them accomplished. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,
I have a Summer routine here in Tx. It is super hot so I split the day up.
In the coolish am 9-12 We get up do breakfast. Morning housecleaning. Then pack a cooler with veggie/fruit and gallon thermos with water and away we go.
I get the local paper and the local kid paper and alternative paper. I schedule 1 activity (free) everyday. It pretty much revolves around Library , free concerts, hiking, nature center, etc. We do this in the am.
by 12 noon it is geting hot so back to the house for lunch, chores, afternoon cartoons setting up dinner tossing in laundry etc.
We are then out of the house by 4pm for swim lessons. We stagger the kids swim lessons so 1 child get lesson and the other 2 busy themselves swimming. After swim it is lap swimming for DH and then home by 8pm for a dinner and then cleanup and relax.
It is busy and fun and cheap and the kids enjoy it and I get out and do new stuff and then have the swim park in the evening. It is lovely..
The trick is having something fun planned ahead of time and labeled on the calendar. You fit chores inbetween. Since your kids are older I would go for a class at the local community college. Either art or sport or photography. You get the idea.
Have fun in the sun
:)

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I'm going to be using all of these ideas, I will not be working outside of the home anymore! I am opening a small daycare at home, so will be busy with the kids, but what a change that will be!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am currently on maternity leave and my position is being eliminated. All of the stuff for this has not gone through yet. What I have learned over the past several months is that I can still be extremely busy as a SAHM, but I am much more peaceful about things than when I was trying to juggle work, home, kids, etc. Since I have two nursing children, I could a good day as one that I can get my beds made, dishes done, a laod of laundry completed (I am notorious for not folding) and manage to keep on top of the 2 year olds messes of all kinds. We get outside most everyday so I am constantly sweeping somewhere as well and the bathrooms get swiped as much as I can. I try not to stress too much and am looing forward to those days when I can actually pick up something other than mending as my "hobby".

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Honestly, we tend to sleep in during the summer. It's nice because Philip usually gets to as well, and we rarely have to do much in the mornings. Then I try to get my chores done in the first part of the day. (Start laundry, get things ready for errands, etc.)
I read or surf the 'net and here recently I've spent great amounts of time reading blogs and working on my own.
The baby still needs nursing every few hours so I've got a built in time to sit and rest.
We don't schedule a lot of activities but I do encourage the girls to be outside playing, when the weather is good.
Somehow when I sit down to think about how I fill my days it didn't seem like much, but every day is full and I rarely get bored. ;)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I work nights to my workday schedule is sleep during the day and work all night but on my days off, I try to flip my schedule back around. My normal schedule looks like this...

wake at 6:30 to 7:00, eat light breakfast, cereal or toast and have coffee
morning routine, laundry, housework
midday, if it is not too warm outside I try to get a bit of yard work done
afternoon, trips to town if needed, I love to visit the library or the museum and try to fit as much into a trip to town as possible, it is a 50 mile round trip so I like to get my moneys worth out the drive :).
evenings, cook supper, watch television or read a book until bedtime

I also manage to fit computer time in between each of the routines.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am beginning to get into a routine. About the time I finaly get the routine the way I want it, it will be time to start school again, which means back to work for me. I guess I can enjoy the 3 months while I have them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts