Frugal Village Forums banner

What do you feed your pets?

9K views 86 replies 69 participants last post by  Royal 
#1 ·
I found out recently that Ol'Roy dog food in the yellow bag is the same thing Pedigree. I did'nt believe it at first, but after buying a bag and comparing it side by side, it was the same. It is $7 cheaper than Pedigree for a 50lb bag. Well at least it is the same size and shape. It also smells the same. I was going to have our 3 year old do a taste test but the wife frowned on that idea. Nothing like a kiss from a three year old with dog food breath.

What does everyone feed their pets?

#3 ·
Right now since I had about 40 cpns they are getting Goodlife for .99/bag. It is a small bag, 4 lbs, but still a good price since the cpns were for $3 off!

#4 ·
My pup has a sensitive tummy, she gets a premium dog food. We've tried slowly switching her to a store brand and as soon as the store brand is 1/3 she starts vomitting. So it's not worth the health issues. She's pretty little yet, 1 bag at $10 has lasted over a month so far, so it's not terrible. I figure the extra $3 a bag isn't worth it if she's going to vet with a $70 visit fee due to poor quality food. the extra $30 a year isn't going to break us at this point.

#5 ·
Our 4 big dogs all get the yellow bag Ol'Roy. They are picky, and this is one of the few they will eat. Vet says that since they are older, not particularly hyper-active, etc that the food they are getting is OK. Our indoor dog (a beagle) has allergic dermatitis, plus stomach issues, so we feed her Purina One salmon and oatmeal - the cheapest premium food that doesn't bother her.

#24 · (Edited)
Can I ask exactly what happens to your beagle's skin with allergic dermatitis? I have a beagle who is having major skin problems only on the hairless parts of his underbelly, and he also has occasional vomiting. The vet is puzzled as to what is wrong. Thinking he might have a food allergy, I switched to premium food. He still had problems with Ol' Roy Lamb and Rice formula. I bought a different dry dog food today...Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul....dumb name I know, but it seems like a high quality food...no corn fillers.

#6 ·
My old dogs got Nutro Natural Choice for Senior Dogs with Glucosamine Chondroitin ~ a really good dog food that helped their joints immensely. Expensive but worth it.

Our new dogs both eat Purina One Lamb and Rice which I am not thrilled with but that's what they were eating at the pound and both were/are special needs dogs so I didn't want to switch their food. I will probably switch them both to Nutro Natural Choice in the future.

#7 ·
As a child I had a hang up for dog food. I snuck it and ate it every chance I got, till the folks found out and locked it up. I give my personal stamp of approval to Gravy Train Bite Size. Frugal, and delicious. WOOF!!!!

#41 ·
Oh, that just cracks me up! I did the same thing as a kid! I loved it for awhile! Too bad I can't remember the brand!

Anyway, thanks for the post. We have a couple of cats. I think I will research cat food brands and find out which ones are identical. I know lots of people like their name brands. I for one don't care about the name, just the ingredients!

#8 ·
I just feed our dog food the farm store carries. Before we moved, we could buy the broken bags for 25 cents/lb. Here I think I pay $12 for a 40 lb bag, its just some random farm brand. She does well with it and has a very nice coat.

#9 ·
Pedigree for the dogs.

Meow Mix dry and wet for the cats along with some tuna here and there.

I am not sure of the name, but the rabbit gets a higher quality food along with raisins, carrots, red delicious apples, bananas, yogurt chips and hay.

#11 ·
My dogs are eating Goodlife right now because I bought many 4 lb bags for $0.49/each.

The cats eat whatever I can buy cheapest.

#12 ·
I feed 4 big doggies (3 Greyhounds & 1 labbie, plus 1 little girl-chihuahau) plus our little girl, all Diamond Naturals-now.
Before we moved back to Tennessee I was feeding the Costco Kirkland brand, Chicken & Rice. We don't have a Costco within a reasonable driving distance so I've had to find a good food locally.

Diamond foods make both types of food just under different names.

I buy mine at my local Feed & Seed store, it's around $20.00 for a 40# bag.
I don't mind to pay a bit more for their food 'cause it does have alot better ingredients-no corn or chicken by-products, etc.
My labbie can't have anything with corn in it, he has a skin allergy that flares up and begins to chew at himself and it's just not worth it to me.
So I stay away from anything with corn.
But that's just me, lots of people feed their pets a cheaper, more inexpensive food and they do just fine on it.

#13 ·
We feed our largest dog(75#)Chowmix Alpo. The two Chihuahuas(12 and 4.75 #) get Pedigree and the little one gets special food from the vet. She has a host of health problems. She is one of our rescues and the former owners of her didn't really take care of her :(. Plus there is always Dog Chow down for them. And they get dog cookies and I make homemade biscuits for them.

Our cats there is 5 of them they get Fancy Feast, Nine Lives and endless cat cookies plus cat treats. The Chowmix dog is fond of their food and will often knock them out of the way to eat their food *sigh*.

The birds get Kaytee mix appopriately.

The rabbit, rat and gerbil get Kaytee food appopriately.

Birds and rabbit, rat and gerbil get some fruit and veggies and rabbit gets Timothey Hay.

Plus the dogs and cats all get table scraps.

I know I know bad but they love them and knock wood they haven't had any health issues related to it. But we don't *over do* it either.

Sheila

#14 ·
Our dog gets Nutro- I like it because it has joint supplements in the dry food. I buy the big bags from the commissary pretty cheap. He doesn't get wet food because he sneaks the cat's leftovers :)

Cats get a German dry food we get from their cattery. We used to feed them Friskies dry food but we noticed they had lots of hairballs. They get Friskies or Whiskas wet food twice a day.

Dry food is left out all day for our pets

#16 ·
My 3 Shih-Tzu doggies get Iams. I sometimes switch to Pedigree, but those are the only 2 I've tried. I have no idea if they would tolerate another kind.

#18 ·
Both kitties get IAMS. This seems to help on the shedding and one kitty has a sensitive stomach and seems to do well on it. They get canned food only on holidays. LOL Treats are mostly what is on sale. Did buy some dehydrated salmon during the whole animal food scare. Unfortunately only one will eat it. All I have to say is who wants treats and they come running. Then I tell them to sit and they wait for their treats. OOOHHH man, I really am sounding like a cat lady aren't I???? LOL

#19 ·
Our dogs eat Old Roy also but only because we can no longer afford Pedigree which is what the Vet recommended for atleast our older dog.

I feel bad that I can't pay the extra for Pedigree but we all do what we have to.

#21 ·
Don't feel bad Pedigree and Ol'Roy in the yellow bag are the same thing, produced at the same plants just packaged differently. From what I have been told is some of the Sam's and Wal Mart Generics are made by the same companies that make the name brand. It is the same thing just packaged for WalMart.

#20 ·
Ol'Roy. They alternate between red bag and yellow. :)

#23 ·
The cat gets whatever dry food I have a coupon for since any canned food he gets comes back up within 15 minutes & he supplements his diet with his outside catchings. Rabbits are his preferance.

The dogs are my babies. For canned, Trader Joes (14oz for .89) or the sale at the pet food store. Dry, Timberwolf, pricey but I cook for my dogs. After having one with kidney problems, he couldn't eat any processes dog food and I got into habit of cooking for them.

patti

#28 ·
I quite agree. I have also noticed with the more expensive foods, you don't have to feed them as much! When my pup hits 6 mo based on her wait the premium requires 1/2 of what the store brand does. Our vet also mentioned that this is often double the amound of the the dog actually requires. If you have a sedentary dog, then they don't need the full amount. A more active dog would need closer to that amount. The other thing I noticed, is the amount of doggie doo, is less on the premium food as there are less fillers, pure nutrition. I have to do a little note taking to see what the true cost per serving would be. I have a feeling premium might be less per serving than the store brand.

#27 ·
The dogs get Purina One only. Our highly flatulant boxer does best with it so I can't vary at all or he becomes flammable.

The cats get Purina One also, but cut occasionally with other food that is either free or dirt cheap with coupons. They don't mind my frugality.

I'm really picky about cat litter though. It mus be scoopable and smell good. Funny, we will use the cheapest TP but the cats get the good stuff.

#30 ·
My dogs get Science Diet and my cat gets Iams Indoor. :paw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.