Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after you pay off your debt?

Every one that I know that is paying off debt has children. They have plans made that revolve around their kids and I was curious what plans the child-free are making for the future?

We are planning on saving for (hopefully) an early retirement and also to vacation as much as possible. As well as give to the church and help our parents.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I plan to relax and follow my bliss. My flat in Denmark is almost paid off and I've only been in it less than a year. I'll keep living simply and saving and when I decide it's time to leave, I'll sell it, probably bank the money, travel a bit, then go back to the US and buy myself an old country house on a nice piece of land outright.

I'll leave the rat race, work on my photography and writing, and freelance here and there so I don't go broke. I might open a small vegetarian lunch place, but that depends on where I end up living and if there's a demand for that sort of thing. So I guess that's sort of early retirement. I'm 35 now and will probably leave here within the next 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Do more traveling. Which we're not waiting to do, either. We watched my mom and dad wait till they could afford it, and then when my dad died at 52 and they never got to go, our lesson was learned. We're going NOW. And we haven't regretted the money spent, nor do we expect to. Some things are more important than money.

We're already contemplating what our next travel rig will be, most likely a hard-side pop up of some kind. We're watching to see what the RV industry comes up with, given the rising gas prices. We have a few years to think about it all.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Saving for retirement, and traveling. Like Spirit Deer, we're not waiting. I saw my grandparents, in their 60's, unable to enjoy europe when they visited us over there, because they suffered from several age related diseases and lack of stamina. I swore that would not be my life.

I'm of the "live well and die broke" mindset. As we have no children to leave anything to, why not spend it and enjoy it.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, that "when" for me is now, recently becoming debt free (including the house), so what I'm doing now is trying to fully fund that long-term emergency fund. Retirement is already in place, and I expect it to be adequate for my simple needs so I probably won't invest any more than I already do. So, that leaves me (in August) contemplating what to do with the extra money. I'm a homebody that doesn't enjoy travel (although I LOVE hearing about others' trips and seeing their endless pictures; I REALLY do!), so I'm still pondering this question. I imagine I will give more (although I am becoming somewhat cynical on what are the correct organizations to support). I plan to increase my pet budget substantially (spoiling my dogs, parrots, and fish is one of my greatest pleasures). I'd like to replace my fence and do some long-overdue home updates (bathroom, kitchen). Then? Who knows. . . .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have kids!!
#1 is to buy a newer car (a small crossover suv that I've wanted for quite a while)
#2 is to take a promotion at work so that I won't be working crazy night hours (ironically when you're a bartender, promotion=less $)
#3 is to get married and have some kids!

If I'm debt free then we won't have to wait for my BF to have a great job before we do these things (I really would love to see him go to school)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I hope you don't mind me posting, I'm not child free but will be empty-nest by the time I'm debt free. I plan to pay off my house, travel A LOT and spoil my pets. I look forward to the second-half of my life being "child free" as far as responsibility goes and want to have a good retirement that doesn't involve sitting in the dark eating cat food. (I will be 40 when my oldest turns 18, this year)

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
:laugh::applause::read:I plan on magaine better so i want get back in dept and maby visiting family out state that not in good health. I have children but they are all grown

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
After we pay off our debts we'd like to buy a condo...but, guess that means we'll have more debt? Anyway, pay that off ASAP. Then (along with saving for retirement) we want to travel, travel, travel! =)

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are paying off debt so we can leave the rat race. I am sure I have kids in my future but not anytime soon.
We love to travel so we can continue with that. I am so looking forward to it.

·
4,028 Posts
Save up for some property and build a round house somewhere in the mountains of the Appalachia.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Already doing it..............WHAT I want..............WHEN I want.

More travel, just not sure it will be 'foreign travel'--unless it is Oz..........already working on one long term thing.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hubby has a grown daughter from a previous marriage. We plan to ride our Harleys all over the U. S. when we retire. If we can't ride, we will still travel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts