Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhusband and ex boyfriend has never asked or questioned what I spent child support on. They know I pay my bills and buy my kids things like clothes, toys or I take them to places they would enjoy. I spend hardly anything on myself, I wear clothes i've had for years because I do not like buying myself anything because I would rather buy my kids something, when I take my kids out to eat I play it off like i'm not hungry and enjoy their company while they eat.

well tonight my mom had an attitude and was asking what I spend support money on. It's none of her business. She was acting like my youngest owned nothing because the last few times my mom was over my youngest was playing with cooking utensils. My youngest has lots of toys, at 2 she likes playing with spatulas, a plastic tea set, and match box cars only right now.

I'm irate right now but kept my mouth shut. My mom favors my neice over my kids and now it feels like she is trying to justify a reason to favor my youngest over my oldest.

It's so rediculous that she would question what I spent support payments on

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really think my mom is indirectly treating my oldest, 8, like crap. Whenever my mom promised something and didn't go through with it, it has only hurt my oldest feleings.

I try to let things go but I see no choice but not to visit my mom for awhile, or until she pulls the stick out of her butt

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I'm sorry. That would burn me also. I think you need to have a very polite but frank conversation with your mom about your feelings.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Honestly it's not her business to know what you spend the CS money on, as long as the kids are taken care of that is what matters, maybe you should speak to your mom about how your feeling.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
When my family starts getting a little too "into my business" I separate myself from them for a while. I spend less time with them, although I will remain polite and available if they need me. It seems to work and they back off. I refuse to spend my time with people who complicate my life (in a bad way) and who make me feel bad about myself.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this junk.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ok, I have a couple of things to say about this one....lol!

A lot of people have a misconception about child support. Child support is the money that the absent parent pays you as their share of raising a child, which isnt near as much as it should be at times. People sometimes think that when you get that check in the mail it is suppose to be used on toys and entertainment for the child.....WRONG! It is your money that you can use for whatever you need to use it for. If you chose to buy dog food with that money, that's nobody's business but your own.

Do not allow other people (mom) to make you feel guilty about the way you spend your money or raise your children. If your 2 year old is entertained with wooden spoons, who cares? as long as the child is entertained. If your children don't have the newest or coolest toys...who cares? If your mother was that concerned about it, maybe she should buy them the toys she thinks they need to have.

Wow..I am really going off here LOL!

Trust me, I have been in your shoes, and I haven't allowed my mother into my life or my home since 1999 (long story). For your own sanity and the welfare of your children, keep the distance if thats really what you need to do, you do not have to feel guilty for it and you owe your mother nothing.

P.S.
I have read other posts you have made and I see that you are a hard working single mom who is doing what she has to do for her children.....GOD BLESS YOU!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mom has has an attitude lately, no idea why, we we're getting along great. I am going to distance ourselves from her for awhile.

I don't need the aggrivation. I've finally found a balance with work, money, and my kids and I would like to continue to keep things peaceful around here.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I get so peeved at people who complain about where child support money goes. I always took that check I was sent and put it together with my paycheck and paid bills. If I had money to go to McDonalds we went. My son never went without and pretty much got what he wanted to a point. I paid for many things for him on a daily basis, and I know that the check I got once a month would not cover half of it some months. Some months that child support money was my saving grace and I used it to buy groceries. Other months it may have gone for shoes or clothes for my son or a little something extra.
Now, I can see complaining if your child is going without and you are buying all kinds of stuff for yourself. It is no ones business where you put that money and what you use it for. I have been there too as a single parent so I feel for you.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
When my family starts getting a little too "into my business" I separate myself from them for a while.
I so totally agree. I think your mother is crossing the
line and you should have a talk with her and let her
know your feelings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts