Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amy's thread yesterday brought up what some(me and others) think of our media. Do you think the media does a good job or not?

I think the Dan Rather debacle, the Jason Blair episode, and more recently Wolf Biltzer's crossing the "family line" with Dick Cheney has done more to expose the fact that the American media does follow a certain "liberal" agenda.
Also Katie Couric's "Our guy lost" after Kerry's loss to Bush. When Barak Obama announces his Presidential asprirations it is reported as just that. When Mitt Romney announces, it is reported on numerous channels as "Far right candidate announces" Now Obama is extremely liberal in his views-shouldn't it be the same standards in the news for both. Why not "Far left candidate, etc..." Or how about no labels put on by the "newspeople" at all?

What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
When bringing up members of the media who seemingly endorse democratic candidates and politicians, we should also note members of the press such as Armstrong Williams, formerly of CNN, who was paid by the Republican party to promote Bush's educational programs on CNN, Bill O'Reilly who is quite outspoken in his support of the "far right" and the supposedlty "fair and balanced" Fox News Network which is well known to be anything but. Slanted viewpoints in the media can be easily seen on both sides of the fence, unfortunately. In my high school journalism class I was always taught that a good reporter doesn't let the reader see his/her bias. Maybe some need to go back to journalism school.

--Michelle

·
Registered
239 Posts
All news is biased....in Canada, the CBC is very liberal and it filters it's news stories as such. A talk show I listen to in my province, one of the radio hosts is extremely conservative and his biased shines through. All news stories; radio, print, tv, should be taken with a grain of salt. They all go through the filters of what they believe. It is amazing how the same story reported by different news agencies can be tilted....JMHO.

·
27,948 Posts
I think everyone needs to get their news from many different sources. I love talk radio where I get lots of different opinions and they (callers & hosts) often get me to rethink my stand on things.
I try to keep an open mind and not jump when I first hear about something, there is always more to the story than meets the eye & ear.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
As my school work revolves mostly around studying the media, I could say a lot.

I'll just say:
Most people think the media biased against them, even though all media is biased in some way or another. Let's not even pretend that Fox isn't right-wing and CNN isn't left-wing.

The main thing to remember is that all media corporations are businesses. They will report what sells. It's very hard to rely on "the media" (which is really a very overgeneralized term) for objective info. Really, there is no objective info anyway because we are all human and have our own frame and perspective.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent points made by all...how refreshing to talk "politics" with mature, enlightened individuals....

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Good points, everyone! :) I think the thing that annoys me is the pretense of objectivity. There is just no way to be totally objective. Everyone has a viewpoint & an opinion. We just need to be upfront about where we are coming from. I really wish the "news" weren't so much about ratings and entertainment. I get news and commentary from several different sources, like Darlene said.

Of course, as a very conservative person, my opinion is that the "major" media in the USA is left-leaning and I choose not to watch the nightly news or take a daily newspaper. But that's my perspective. ;)

G

·
I agree with acidcookie and EmeraldMommy - I think that all of the media is biased, and a lot our of our perception depends on our bias - a lot of people who are liberal think that the media is biased towards conservatives and vice versa. And I really dislike it when the media pretends that they aren't biased - I'm fairly conservative myself, but I also know that Fox sure isn't "fair and balanced"

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I no longer watch NBC since their programming is so biased. I watch a lot of shows on ABC, and FOX news. I think that FOX does a good job of showing multiple viewpoints from commentators. Of course, there are those that offer their opinion, but at least they're upfront about it. People just can't believe everything they hear. It's rare to find journalists who are totally objective anymore.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I think we need to look at the differences between the traditional "just the facts" journalist and the "commentators" that you see on most programs today. A journalist should not, in any way, make their opinion know except in a specific editorial content labeled as opinion, these traditional journalists don't really exist in most main stream media because they are considered boring. They do not sell advertising $. These are now the people who simply write the press releases and AP news blurbs that are then sent out to the commentators and "reporters" who forward the story, with the inflection and importance that their company feels it needs, to the public. Yes, it is unfortunate, this is the freedom of the press that our country is partially founded upon, the freedom of any person in America to comment on(in their opinion) the sad life of Anna Nicole.....I was taught in journalism 101 that any comment made like that was always to be prefaced with "in the opinion of this writer/reporter etc." The man who was reporting when the Hindenburg went down in flames in front of him was fired for his "emotional reaction" when the words "oh the humanity" were stated as so many people lost their lives directly in front of him. That is where the place of the reporter should be, reporting, not commenting and the 2 should never be confused. And, this is where me and my hormones step down off our little soap box.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think that Fox News does a good job of presenting people with differeing views and letting them debate it so that the viewers get both sides. I rarely see that on CNN or MSNBC. I am a politics/news junkie and I care esp. about the middle east so I get my news from several Israeli news stations/papers as well as the usual Fox,Cnn etc.
American news even CNN does a good job all in all of being unibaised though compared to others. Look at the BBC for instance.
I also have to disagree with someone here who said that Bill O'Reilly is outspoken on his support for the ''far right.''
I have to respectfully disagree. O'Reilly is an independent and I've heard him critize the republicans just as much as the dems so I'm not sure what your option stems from.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I hate our media. Not a single local media outlet--news/radio/t.v. cared that my husband earned the soldier of the year honor for our state. I even contacted them saying wouldn't this be a great morale booster? Nothing,

But I can guarantee that is he gets hurt or killed, god forbid, in Iraq that every single local media outlet will have an article on his death/injury (god forbid that should happen.)

To me that is complete and utter bs. It's not right.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I hate our media. Not a single local media outlet--news/radio/t.v. cared that my husband earned the soldier of the year honor for our state. I even contacted them saying wouldn't this be a great morale booster? Nothing,

But I can guarantee that is he gets hurt or killed, god forbid, in Iraq that every single local media outlet will have an article on his death/injury (god forbid that should happen.)

To me that is complete and utter bs. It's not right.

Congrats to your hubby! I'm an AF brat/Ex Navy wife so I know those jobs( and being a wife to them) isn't easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts