Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just say, I know of a couple that does this. It's embarrassing to me to hear them call each that, especially if there's other people around. It's just creepy and grosses me out too when I hear it. I don't understand why spouses call each other mom/dad in front of children. I think it's also inappropriate.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My wife and I have been doing that since our first daughter was born, now we call each other gramma and grampa.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont think calling each other mom or dad is right, it's kinda creepy but my DH and I call each other Honey or by first name but I have called my DH Papi.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I think its weird but it just usually startes from the kids always saying it and it sticks in your head. I often will tell dd to go ask Dad instead of saying your Dad. But I dont call him dad.

·
27,948 Posts
I think its weird but it just usually startes from the kids always saying it and it sticks in your head. I often will tell dd to go ask Dad instead of saying your Dad. But I dont call him dad.
:yeah: I have been known to say when talking to Jack about the kids, "what do you think about that poppa bear?" Goes back to when the kids were little and telling them stories about Poppa bear, momma bear siter bear & brother bear (sorta like our family) :smted:

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I call dh by his name when we are talking, but at the dinner table, I'll call him Dad. Like, "Daddy? Julia is talking to you." or "Patrick needs some more milk, Dad." But, if I need him, I'll call his name, or if we're speaking to each other, even in front of the kids, it's Rob.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My parents always did this growing up. It doesn't strike me as "creepy" at all.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I call dh by his name when we are talking, but at the dinner table, I'll call him Dad. Like, "Daddy? Julia is talking to you." or "Patrick needs some more milk, Dad." But, if I need him, I'll call his name, or if we're speaking to each other, even in front of the kids, it's Rob.
:yeah:

Also Our ds1 and Dh have the same first name. So when i holler "erick!!" both answer. So often if i call for dad that makes it more clear whom it is i am referring to.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Meh, doesn't bother me one way or the other. Though usually I only hear it when the kids are around or it's an older couple who are calling each other that, as they're so used to calling each other Mom and Dad since they first started having children.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
This is exactly how we do it too.....we never really thought about it - it just so happens that is how we have ended up doing it! :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Nah, doesn't bother me. It might gross me out if I thought they were doing it in the privacy of their bedroom, but then again, if so, who cares.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
LOL. This is something that for some reason really bothers me. I, too, find it creepy.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Doesn't bother me. My parents had to start calling each other that because when I was little I would hear my parents call each other by their first names and i would start doing it too. Kind of like when a mom says "Mommy is going to bake some cookies today" I say whatever works for that family.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I know a lot of people who do this, besides me. I don't think it's a big deal at all.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
:yeah: We are the same way. :yeah: It does not phase me in the least to hear couples call each other Mom and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa. To each his own. Everyone is different and everyone does things differently.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I do it, I have heard it, and it still feels weird... it depends on how it was said and meant.

Do it - When talking about various things, and I want DF to remember he needs to see things through the eyes of a parent, I will say something like "Okay Dad, what if it was some -blah blah- and they got me?" It's more to help us see things from different angles. We are grateful for the freedoms that we have, and sometimes we forget there are reasons they are taken away...

Seen it - Other parents around here have a habit of refering to the spouse as Mom/Dad when telling a family story to us.

Creeped out by it - When people use the sappy-sugary-sweet-diabetic-coma-inducing tones... but, I think it's the tones more, they can be calling each other umm... streetwalkers (think about it) and I would be just as freaked out hearing it.

Life is short, so do what makes you happy. Just don't do it in that icky sticky voice :lol:

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We refer to each other as Mommy and Daddy when we are speaking to Wesley, I.e. "Wesley, Daddy's getting your toy. Or go see Mommy." Sometimes, we speak for Wesley, as in "Daddy, come play with me." But we don't call each other mom or dad. I don't like it for us.

·
4,028 Posts
Ewww! It is creepy to me. I have already discussed this with my spouse that I am NOT his mother and he is NOT my father. His dad calls his wife "Mother" (when we visit) and they are in their early 70's. I just want to tell him to grow up and stop looking for a 'Mommy' to take care of him. LOL
Ceashels

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a name other than "Mom, Momma, Mommy"? I can't even remember when I was called anything else.

I think it's sweet when older couples call each other "Mother" or "Father". My grandparents do it and I guess DH and I do it too. I usually refer to him as 'The Dah" because that's how my kids refer to him. Kinda a family joke. Meh.

I don't know why a person would be "creeped out" by it, it's a natural progression during a parent's lifetime and becomes the cornerstone of who we are as a person. I am Mom to my babies and will be to the day I die.

Now in the privacy of our bedroom...thats kinda gross... I could NOT see screaming out "Oh daddy! Oh Daddy!" or hearing "Who's your Momma/Daddy?".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts