Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really like them on women unless they are someplace that is not generally seen unless you are wearing a swim suit like on lower back or on the thigh. I think they look terribly tacky on chest and no way on arms or ankles. I hope I haven't offended anyone here who has them. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well, gee, I have one on my upper arm, my left ankle, and my chest.

Kidding!!

I think they usually don't look good, but there are exceptions. I am tired of seeing butterflies on shoulder blades and "Celtic" designs on lower backs.

·
Registered
933 Posts
well heck, i DO have one on my chest, my forearm, my left ankle and right calf. im usually a pretty shy person so i have to have something to draw attention to myself. :wink: ah well, to each their own. i like em and do plan on adding some more.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I don't mind seeing them on women or men. I think it's a matter of personal taste. I don't have any tattoos but I would love to get my son's name somewhere on my body.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am not a fan of anything on my body that can't be removed. The only thing I have ever done was have my ears pierced. I don't mind if others choose it for themselves, sometimes I like other peoples choices in body art or rings, and then other times I think they look awful. To each his/her own though.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think it depends on the well the person carries it. I know some women with tattoos who just look trashy, and other women who make it look like beautiful artwork.

I've *thought* about getting my husband's name on the inside of my wrist so my watch could cover it when I want it to. I would never get a butterfly, rose, or something else generic that doesn't mean anything to me. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My oldest DD has 4 :( including a BIG one on her chest which made me cringe when she showed me because of not only the size of it or the design but also because my DD is rather BIG chested which also makes it even MORE tacky.
I also talked a very dear friend of mine out of getting one because he wanted to have my name & I absolutely forbid that.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What happens when a woman's husband decides to leave her for another woman? She has the constant reminder of her cheating husband tatooed on her. I have friends who thought they would never divorce but once they turned 40 the husband could not keep his zipper shut.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I have three. One on my ankle, one on my lower waist, and one on my back. Each one is from something significant that has happened in my life.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Oops, forgot to add. They all can be covered and not seen. All of them are small also.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a small one on my hip that can't be seen unless I'm wearing something very skimpy, like a bikini. I'm all for the self expression but do agree that it should be well thought out especially for young adults. Something cutesy in your late teens or early twenties might end up being embarassingly silly in your 40's or 50's.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
My ex-SIL has a ring of daisies around her toe. I thought it was cute. My Dstepson has multiple tats. He has a tribal band, a Bhudda, a fish and some Japanese letters that he thought was his oldest DDs name, turns out it isn't. And he has 1/2 of a cross that got started when he got into some trouble and was in jail/boot camp for 1 year. The one doing the cross got out before they finished it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think to each their own. I "expressed" strongly that none of my kids do anything until they are at least 25....I don't really mind them-just the fact that they are permanent-unless surgically removed. Piercings...well that is just another story all together....on to the other thread....

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't care for them on women or men. One exception: military members. I understand that it can be part of the bonding process for troops.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective too. I have endured seven surgeries since 1999. There is no way in the world I would inflict any additional pain on myself.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I always thought that having a tattoo would be like wearing the same piece of clothing for the rest of your life.

I've never thought of anything I'd want to have tattooed on my body that I wouldn't eventually get tired of.

Also... and this sounds catty.... but I have a niece who got one of those fancy little designs on her lower back. Looked real sexy, until she gained weight. Now it's a fancy BIG design... :surprise:

Marianne

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I am not a fan of anything on my body that can't be removed. The only thing I have ever done was have my ears pierced. I don't mind if others choose it for themselves, sometimes I like other peoples choices in body art or rings, and then other times I think they look awful. To each his/her own though.
:yeah: I would never get a tatoo or an "unusual" piercing (I do have pierced ears, just one hole, though). I won't allow my children to get one as long as they're under my roof either (not that it's come up - they're 5 & 2!), but I have to say that I agree: some women still manage to look "tasteful" even with a tatoo and others don't. And I just can't imagine doing something permanent to your body like that. Even ear piercing isn't exactly permanent, the holes will close if you stop wearing the jewlry.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a tattoo on my lower left arm that says "love laugh live". Easily covered by a long shelve shirt but I like it where I can see it to be reminded to live every day to it's fullest. :)

My DH's buddy bought a tattoo gun and supplies and the 2 of them are learning to tattoo. They have been practicing for a week and just today did their first tattoos on themselves and they turned out really good. So in the next few months I'll be adding to my body.

It makes me mad people get tattoos just to get one. I have seen some terribly TACKY tattoos but some that are so awesome too. People should just use common sense and a lot of forethought before getting one.

G

·
You know, I've wanted a tatoo on my ankle for 6 years now, but I haven't thought of anything that means enough to me to endure the pain and have it for the rest of my life. I have friends that just go into the tatoo parlor and "pick something" - I don't understand that at all.

And I agree that some women can make it look sexy, and some can make it look trashy. I also can't stand the ones that are "trendy" -like the tribal designs, and getting one on your lower back. I just think that the same way we laugh at clothing trends once they're past (like parachute pants and bell bottoms), you'll see the same thing happen with trendy tatoos.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don't have an issue with them. I have wanted one for years, and know what I want and where I want it; I am just too chicken to do it. I have a friend that has little butterflys on each earlobe, they look like cute little earrings....looks cute for everyday but doesn't look right when she needs to dress more formal.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I actually drew a design once that I wanted: a yellow/pink lotus flower (my favorite flower and also often in Buddhism) with black Aquarius waves in front (my zodiac sign). But I could never figure out where to put it, so I figured I was best off not getting it.

One of my friends has numbers tattooed on his arm. He eventually told me that they were the birthday of his brother who died (or maybe the date of his death, can't remember now). But I find tattoos on guys more attractive than on girls.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts