Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether you approve of gay marriage or not (and I don't, but that's another thread all together) I think the way the SF mayor is going about this is rather interesting~ heck with the laws, he'll make his own.

I don't think the marriage certificates will hold up in court later on, due to the way they were issued.

Does this "marriage" mean that insurance companies, employers, etc  have to honor the spouse just as in a straight marriage~ at least for the time being?  Because if that's the case, I could see later lawsuits if, say, insurance coverage was given and then later denied.

I find the situation  very interesting legally... what do you guys think?

·
27,948 Posts
I think the mayor is breaking the law & these "marriages" are not legal. The whole thing is crazy in my opinion. Why not have inscestuous marriages or multiple wives & husbands too? Everybody who loves each other ought to be able to marry right?? NO.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I think that the law should allow gay people to marry and that it is none of the government's business how people live their lives. I guess I am an old liberal when it comes to other people living their lives as they want to.No matter what my stand is on someone elses choice in sexuality, I just feel that it is their decision to make and that they are the ones who will pay a penalty in the end if there is one to pay.

i say allow people to seek out there own happiness in life, so what if they find love with a person of the same sex.

just my opinion here, but I wonder if I will be the only one with it, but glad I am safe enough to speak my piece. :D :D

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
mrscornbread said:
I think that the law should allow gay people to marry and that it is none of the government's business how people live their lives. I guess I am an old liberal when it comes to other people living their lives as they want to.No matter what my stand is on someone elses choice in sexuality, I just feel that it is their decision to make and that they are the ones who will pay a penalty in the end if there is one to pay.

i say allow people to seek out there own happiness in life, so what if they find love with a person of the same sex.

just my opinion here, but I wonder if I will be the only one with it, but glad I am safe enough to speak my piece. :D :D
i feel the same.

i totally disagree with how the mayor went about doing this though. i sort of feel like he used these peoples sexuality and desire to marry as a political publicity stunt for himself. JMO

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Well I beleive that if they are happy so be it. They are ones that have to stand in front of their God at the end. And you know what the Bible says Judge not least you be Judged.
leave em alone. they are people too. Fern

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I'm as liberal as the next Southern Baptist, so I guess ya'll can just guess what I think! ;)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I don't really 'get' what he's doing politically speaking, but I do know that I can't wait until gays/lesbians can marry each other and get the same recognition and benefits as straight people get.

·
5,451 Posts
I didn't give a clear answer, because I didn't want to offend anyone. Since everyone else is giving a straight answer, no pun intended, I will,too. I think the Mayor is breaking the law and should be arrested and booted out of office.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Well lets see.... first of all I don't think the mayor is actually concerned about the gays/lesbians but is doing it for his own fame and glory. If he was sincere, he would be making sure that these marriages would be legal and binding no matter what the future holds.

Now for the other part, as some of you know, I'm not married but have been living with my partner for a long, long time. We are not gay, just not married. (Mel would demand that I say he is a strong, masculine, hunk of a man). I think that you should be with the person who makes you happiest. I would hope that people find a partner who is the opposite sex as I feel it is easier on any children you may have. However, if you feel that you are meant to be with a same sex partner, I do believe that is your right. You and your partner are the ones that will have to take the rude looks and snickers from people who don't approve and if you can stand that, then it's okay with me.

As for the marriage certificate - even in the best of cases, nothing is final and binding but your hearts.

I'd better get off my :soapbox: before someone takes away my brownie points for good behavior. :curtain:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I do think people should be allowed to live the way they choose and the benefits of marriage should extend to any couple living together for a long time. As in tax benefits and rights after death that sort of thing. paelthom makes a good point that the only thing binding is the heart. Interestingly enough my dad who is an openly gay man and is in a strong commited relationship does not agree with gay marriage. He does however agree with the benefits extending to gay couples in a commited relationship. BTW I can not believe that this is such a great place that we can have a conversation like this with out offending each other. I think that just as anyone is allowed to love who they want (in my opinion) that anyone is allowed to their opinion, be different from mine or not. Thanks ladies.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I personally think this is all a publicity stunt for the mayor and that what he is doing is wrong. He is "using" this issue to further his own career without an concern for the law or for the people that are participating in these "marriages" that are not even legal. Shame on him for playing with people's lives!!!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I agree that the mayor is using the same sex marriages as a publicity stunt for his own benefit. I truly hope that the marriage licenses hold up in the long run though. I think it is very discrimatory to single out a group of people and say "This group of people (hetrosexuals) will be allowed all rights and privilages of marriage and this group (gays and lesbians) will be excluded from having any of the same rights. Now we want you to pay your taxes, do all the other civil duties that we demand of the first group but we are not going to allow you the right of marriage because you chose a life partner against what we perceive as "right" . " I think we live in a country that many men and women have given their lives in order to provide us with freedom and constitutional rights and that one of those rights is that "all men (and women) are created equal" and should be treated that way.

Well, JMHO, so I will get off my :soapbox: now. :D

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I think the way he went about it is wrong because I think it's going to cause a lot of problems for the couples in the long run.

As far as same sex marriage, I think a person should be with the person they love no matter the sex. I look at it this way, would I be able to turn my back on one of my children if they where gay? No, so I shouldn't judge anyone else.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I think it is totally wrong the way he is doing this. I also don't think it should be done at all. But it will be interesting to see how it all goes on down the road when the courts make a decision. I'm sure there are lots of lawsuits on the horizon.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think Darlene said it best.

Darlene said:
I think the mayor is breaking the law & these "marriages" are not legal. The whole thing is crazy in my opinion. Why not have inscestuous marriages or multiple wives & husbands too? Everybody who loves each other ought to be able to marry right?? NO.
Now, as far as human rights goes, I do think homosexual couples have the RIGHT to the same insurance, death, tax and whatever financial benefits that hetrosexual married couples have. I just don't think marriage is the answer. There should be something in place where these benefits can be applied for.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I am so proud of all of you for having the courage to speak your opinions. In a case like this, I don't believe there are any hard and set rules. Every situation is unique and at any point, any of us could change our minds either way. Just depends on where you are at that time in your life. Thank you all for sharing and always feel that your opinions matter, after all, we are just family in this village.

Hugs to each of you on every side of this issue.

Main thing I want to remember is that it is wrong to use other people to further your political or any other type of career. Climb the ladder of success on your own merit not on anothers back.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I haven't been following this particular story.....but as far as gay marriages are concerned , I say let them get married.....let them live their lives as they choose....God gave us all freedom to chose what we do in this life, be it right or wrong...God is the judge of what is right or wrong, so he will decide when our time comes.....

Jesus told us to love one another, and he hung out with the bums, the prostitutes, the tax collectors, and I am sure the gay people.....we need to except each other and our differences....

Sorry if I got preachy....

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I agree that Jesus himself didn't seek out the "politically correct" crowd to associate with but I can't get past the fact that Sodom & Gomorrah were destroyed because of this same type of thing....

Sorry folks, in addition to being a very vocal Catholic ( ;) ), I'm also a Bush ( :toothy: ) and we know where that leads me....

One man, one woman ~ after all - it was Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve....

Not the popular view, but it's mine....

Proud of y'all for speaking your peace - that's what GW fights for!!

(And Pat - isn't that an MCV/VCU blanket that Ryan is snuggied up in?!?!)

·
5,451 Posts
Debbie, I agree! In addition to Sodom and Gomarrah being destroyed, in the Old Testament, St. Paul speaks against homosexuality in the NT in Romans chapter 1 verses 24-27.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I still think the mayor was wrong and is playing with people's lives (very cruel of him and I hope that people see through him and into his self serving heart). I have some friends that are gay and love them dearly, but I still believe in my heart in God's word and that yes God loves everyone, but that He has clearly said that homosexuality is a sin and unnatural. You can still love someone, but not love their sin.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts