Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brainstorming here, thinking of why people are poor and if it isn't something people bring on themselves.

According to the concepts discussed in <a href="http://www.thesecret.tv">"The Secret"</a> whatever you put out there into the Universe comes back to you. So theoretically, if you think over and over again "I'm poor, I have no money", you'll have no money. But if you think, "I'm rich, I have all I need", you will have all you need.

So do you think that is true? Do you think that it's all a matter of thought? Do you think poor people bring it on themselves with thoughts like, "We're never going to get out of debt" or "We're never going to be able to afford our medical bills" or "We're never going to get a better car", etc. etc. etc.

Or do you think it's more "realistic" (for lack of a better term)? Do you think that circumstances have a bigger part to play than mentality? Do you think it has to do with making bad choices, not having patience to find a better deal, "We gotta have it NOW!" and "We DESERVE THIS!"?

Or is it luck? Are there people who are just born with a black cloud over them, like my father claimed to be? People who just can't catch a break -- the car they bought breaks down on the way home from the dealership, the great deal on potatoes go bad three days after they're purchased, just after getting a mortgage, Junior needs braces, etc?

Or do you think it's a combination of all three? Or do you think everyone's circumstances are different? Or do you think it's God trying to teach people lessons in gratitude?

Or could it be something completely different, that I haven't mentioned?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I do think many people are "poor" because of the choices they make. I also think there's some families who try to save money but something always seem to come up that costs money where they can't seem to get ahead. I do think everyone's circumstances are different.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
To me there is a difference between being poor and being broke. Broke is temporary. It just means you don't have any money. Poor is more of a state of mind, how you look at the world.

I think it's a combination of the attitude you have and the choices you make. I don't believe in luck. You chose your actions. You choose your outcomes. You chose your life.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
To me there is a difference between being poor and being broke. Broke is temporary. It just means you don't have any money. Poor is more of a state of mind, how you look at the world.

I think it's a combination of the attitude you have and the choices you make. I don't believe in luck. You chose your actions. You choose your outcomes. You chose your life.
I agree with what is said here.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have been wondering this myself. I think it depends on a person's circumstances, attitude in those circumstances, and being grateful for what you have (God's influence). I try not to feel poor with my own circumstances (sometimes it's hard not to). I feel blessed mostly, that I have food and clothes and a roof over my head. I think if I could stop comparing my circumstances to other people's then I would feel better with where I am. In many ways I think being "poor" is a state of mind. In most cases I think people can feel blessed for what they have, even if it's only a pbj sandwich for dinner or boxed mac & cheese (it's still food). I try to keep my apartment clean and tidy, My grandmother grew up during the depression and was middle to low income her whole life and she used to say that it doesn't matter how much money you have as long as you take care of the things you have and where you live. I have a hard time knowing what "poor" is anymore. I live on very little money each month and I feel grateful that I have that money to put towards my food, debt, housing/car, etc.... I guess these days I think of poor as being homeless or not having close family or friends. I know that I have less than some and more than others, so even though I am low income I am hopeful and grateful and I can always work on being more grateful (this is something I know I need to work on in my life).

·
Registered
9,412 Posts

I totally agree with this post, I think being poor is what you make yourself or how you see yourself. I personally do not feel I am poor, I could just use a bit more money, lol.

On a personal note, I am not poor although I have surely made very poor choices up until now, that is why my choices have now become RICH in nature.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think it is a combination of factors. On a followup show of "The Secret", Oprah said to remember that The Law Of Attraction is not the only law that works in the universe, there are many other natural laws that determine the outcome in a person's life as well as free will.

One of the many factors that influence poverty is the circumstances that one is born into. If a child is born into poverty and lives in those circumstances for eighteen years, there is a set of learned behavior that can be very very hard to overcome. This child has gone to poor schools, has perhaps witnessed lots of crime and underhanded dealings, has had poor nutrition, one parent etc.( Please note this is a hypothetical situation).

On the other side of the coin, there is a child born into privilege who learns a different set of behaviors for eighteen years. This child has been privately educated, has good connections, good nutrition, two attentive parents etc. It will be much easier for this child to keep on the same path he or she has been following.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the other side of the coin, there is a child born into privilege who learns a different set of behaviors for eighteen years. This child has been privately educated, has good connections, good nutrition, two attentive parents etc. It will be much easier for this child to keep on the same path he or she has been following.
At the same time, though, sometimes these children grow up never knowing responsibility -- Mommy does all the cleaning, cooking and nurturing, while Daddy goes to work every day and is only available on weekends to spend any time with the family. I think that children who grow up never knowing responsibility and discipline can be even more worse off than those who grow up in poverty. People who don't learn that you have to work for things and instead want it "right now!!!" can often end up in very dire circumstances.

I don't really have a point with this, I'm just adding onto what Stacy said.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I think being poor is a relative term. If you speak to someone in this country who is "poor" it may be a very different level of poor than the person who lives in Bangladesh or Ethiopia. On the other hand, I have seen some situations and areas of our country which rival third-world conditions. The difference is that in our country, unlike in many poverty stricken parts of the world, we have the ability, for the most part, to raise ourselves out of poverty by hard work and determination. This is not an opportunity people in poorer parts of the world share. So, in a way, I do believe that being poor (especially here) has a lot to do with a state of mind. As long as there are no other issues involved (mental or physical illnesses, etc.) which could hold someone back, being poor is something that can be overcome if the right choices are made.

--Michelle

·
Registered
652 Posts
I grew up poor, but never knew we were poor. We had everything we needed. Clothing, shelter, food on the table and much more. I do think that poor is a state of mind and everyone's situation is different. When I look at other 3 world countries where children are starving, I wonder how poor the US really is. We have the richest ecomony in the world, yet here in the US we have homeless family wandering the streets. I was always taught that what you give is what you get in return. I believe even the poor have a contribution to make in this world. I read in a article recently that most families are 2 paycheck away from being homeless. That was a staggering static. I also believe that we are now living in a society of "haves and have nots". The middle class is slowly disapearing. I also believe that most everyone has an equal chance of bettering themselves if they choose to better their life. I know that some families can be fine on day fianacially, and the next day a catrophe can strike. Some of us frugal people are ready and can survive the hard times that come our way. You just have to be prepared. Life is not fair and we have alot of poor people in the US. But I do know alot of really poor people that get by with what they have because they have learned the secret of be content with what you have. Blessings...Kathy

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Poor is not having enough money to keep a roof over you head or enough money to feed yourself and take care of basic needs.

Not everyone is personally responsible for being poor and to say so is just arrogant. Just ask anyone living in a third world country.

Poor is when you are so sick that you can not live your life as you would like to.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
To me, being poor means having no hope. I do believe with the concept in "The Secret" about you getting what you concentrate on the most. I've seen it work in my own life. That's not to say that in every life, some rain won't fall....but still it's what happens 90% of the time that matters. If we can always understand that bad things will happen but they too shall pass, then we can recover, have hope. Noone gets through life with no bumps and bruises but it's what we do with the lessons we're learning along the way that in the end, determines our life circumstances. We all come into the world and go out pretty much 'poor'. All that matters is what you do and how you perceive it, in between.

·
Registered
579 Posts
amen pkellyc

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
To me, poor is a third world country.Not having because there is none to have. Sick, because there is no healthcare, money or not.Homeless, because there are no shelters, no missions, there is no food to be given. I think under the very worst of situations, living where I am , I am rich.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I agree with the thought that poor is a state of mind, there have eben many times that I didn't have any more or just a little bit of money but I never considered myself as poor.
I have a husband, 4 kids and some great friends I am rich!! Money or no money I think I am rich.

Just my opinion,
Eileen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts