Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since mothers day is this weekend, it got me thinking of what does everyone want?

It is just time with the family, time to yourself, a gift card to a fancy spa, dinner out, coupons for chores.....what do you want, have you asked for?

I want to go camping for the night. Just to our local state park, 20 minutes from home but what I would have really liked is for my ex to pick up the planning part of it. A little back ground, my ex and I are very much still "family" and we do stuff like this all the time. He has asked me at least 10 times if we're going and I have said at least 10 times yes! however he is leaving it up to me to make all the arrangements, plan the food etc. A little bit of effort on his part would be appreciated since this is my mothers day gift.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would love to get to sleep in a little!! I highly doubt that will happen though, me and my ex are sort of like yours but things have been rocky lately so I doubt I'll get my chance to sleep in lol

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
What I would Like

-My dishwasher fixed
-A new pair of Summer shoes
-Help around the house, lots of it

I haven't asked for anything, so we'll see how it goes. I expect it will be a tour of the Mothers and Grandmothers for the day.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Since mothers day is this weekend, it got me thinking of what does everyone want?

It is just time with the family, time to yourself, a gift card to a fancy spa, dinner out, coupons for chores.....what do you want, have you asked for?

I want to go camping for the night. Just to our local state park, 20 minutes from home but what I would have really liked is for my ex to pick up the planning part of it. A little back ground, my ex and I are very much still "family" and we do stuff like this all the time. He has asked me at least 10 times if we're going and I have said at least 10 times yes! however he is leaving it up to me to make all the arrangements, plan the food etc. A little bit of effort on his part would be appreciated since this is my mothers day gift.
Did you come right out and TELL him you wanted him to plan it?
Because men can be kinda thick when it comes to figuring out what we want (it's been 36 years with Mr. Carney, and I still have to spell it out :) )

Anyhow, I ask for (and get) the same gift every year - an entire day without deciding anything. It is NOT up to me where we go, what we do, what we eat, what anybody wears etc. They are not allowed to ask me ANY QUESTIONS all day long!!! It's very relaxing for me, very much raises their awareness of how often they ask me to decide stuff.

If they really want to get me a physical gift, I always ask for a lilac or snowball bush - some kind of perennial to put in the yard.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
DH ordered me some survival books and is giving me the afternoon off to read and nap!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anyhow, I ask for (and get) the same gift every year - an entire day without deciding anything. It is NOT up to me where we go, what we do, what we eat, what anybody wears etc. They are not allowed to ask me ANY QUESTIONS all day long!!! It's very relaxing for me, very much raises their awareness of how often they ask me to decide stuff.
That's such a smart thing to ask for. Great idea!

And, I agree about needing to spell out the things we want. Men are not mind readers. And expecting them to be, year after year, only sets us up for completely avoidable disappointment.

That said, all my mom wants from me is a phone call on Mother's Day, so that's what she's getting. :)

Kara

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Boy, you must all have different kinds of husbands and kids then me. I could ask all I want, but it does not mean I would get it. Lucky you! (I say without a note of bitterness) :) Enjoy your Mother's Day!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
What do I want??? hmmmm.

Here's the not going to happen list:
-sleep in!
-no cooking at all!
-no diaper changes!
-no doing dishes!
-eating a meal without having to get up 5 bajillon times.
-hubby being there to spend the day with us.

Here's what will happen:
-get up at the buttcrack of dawn with Maggie
-get both kids up and ready for the day, we are going out for brunch
-take boths kids to church (Wesley's in a religious type phase)
-come home and spend the day doing everything I always do. With no husband. Like usual.

Sometimes being a grown-up really sucks.

·
27,948 Posts
I always ask for the same thing since they were little: No whining & to have all the windows in the house cleaned inside & out. Some years I get that, some I don't. Ds called the other day & said he'd like to come home for the weekend & "make me breakfast or something". :D

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Normally I do not ask for anything. But, this year I have a special request. I want a special pink garbage can. My best friend was diagnosed in November with stage 3 breast cancer. She just finished chemo, is having a mastectomy the 27th of this month and will start radiation about six weeks later. In our city, garbage pick up is handled by the city, they issue each home a special green garbage can on wheels for bi-weekly curbside pick-up. About six months ago the Joy to Life foundation (Breast cancer foundation that provides free mammograms to women) was approved by the city to sell pink garbage cans to residents who wanted them to support breast cancer prevention/research. They are the same cans we get from the city for free, except they are pink. The $75 cost of one goes to the JtL foundation. So, what my mindless babbling boils down to is I want a pink garbage can in honor of my BFF.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i would like to sleep in and not have to be up by 7:15 to take dd to PSR..but, since i know that wont happen, i guess i will settle for the new furnace i just got installed, the yard cleanup which was horrendous this year, oh, and the three pair of sandals and flipflops i ordered on sale at coldwater creek and a new spanx bra (which you all know that i just LOVE>>>). so, it will be any ol sunday here. dh will be at work and not know it is mothers day. dd will be sweet and then back to being her normal self..lol...oh well, could always be worse....i have a pretty good life! so i am not complainiin...

mary - your day sounds like what i need to put in place....but, since dd is only 8 and dh just went out on his own workwise in november, that wont be happenin for a long long time! lol

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Nothing.

Peace and quiet for most of the day would be nice.

The rest of the day, I have to go see MIL.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This will be the last year for it, but every Mother's Day forever - hubby makes me breakfast, then takes the kids away for hours so I can get quiet, then comes home and makes dinner..

I'm not much of a flower person, and am hard to buy for, so I told hubby years ago when we had 4 young ones in the house, make my gift some quiet time... 3 of the 4 now live out of state, so for them I just request a phone call. This year our oldest daughter is coming down in 2 weeks, so we will spend time together then, in St. Louis for the day..

Same has gone for my birthday (May 15) every year also, except hubby takes me out to dinner or lunch depending on if it is during the week or weekend..

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Mother's Day is also my mom's birthday...so I am going to visit her :) That's my gift for both of us!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
What do I WANT for Mothers Day? I WANT to be able to call my Mother, to talk to her, or to visit her, to put my arms around her, hug her, to kiss her...one more time...5 years ago last March 4th .... I'm old enough my WANTS do hurt me still.

What I will get is dinner out. I'll take it.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I would like a phone call from my DS but I am sure he will forget since he is going to go and visit his girlfriend this weekend. :laugh:

I would love a day of not having to plan dinner. :D

·
Registered
871 Posts
Niko....I totally understand what you're saying... my mom's been gone for 11 years this August....and I still miss her.... this afternoon I was talking to a client who said she was going up to visit her mother for the evening..(her mom is in her late 80's) I guess I was looking at her wistfully... she commented..."and you are the reason I make sure that I make that time...from what you have said...about missing her sooo much"... If my pain can help make sure that another person takes the time to spend with their loved one....then...i guess it's not quite as painful...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I want a composter for my garden and a maple tree that is bright red in the autumn. Also, I want dh to cook out on the grill that day so I don't have to. So far it appears that I am going to get it all since I am not shy at all when dh and the kids ask me what I want. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
What do I want for Mother's Day? I want to spend the day with my kids, I don't care what we do. I would like a handdrawn card from each of them, a big hug from my almost 16 year old son whose hugs seem to be all for his gf. I want to make them a special dinner and let them know how grateful I am, always, to be their mom and that alone is the best gift of all.
I want to spend time with my mom, who in all likelihood wont be around next Mother's Day, but with everything else - I kind of have to pick and choose when to go visit. I got to see her last month and I'll get to see her again next month and I will spoil her mercilessly then too. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts