Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to convince Dh and Dd to just take me yard saling for the whole day!

I hate it when they want to do all sorts of crazy (usually expensive) stuff, that truth be told..I don't really want to do.

It's sweet and everything, but do I have to get up and go have breakfast somewhere? I don't even like consuming anything but coffee before noon.

And sure, going for a picnic is nice..if I didn't have to supervise the packing, or else risk listening to them sniping at each other about who forgot the forks, etc. etc. etc.

And the traditional dinner out...I really can make a better steak at home for less than 1/3 the price...

Usually I just smile and we go on with whatever it is, but this year I've decided to lobby for what I want on mother's day.

A whole day of uninterrupted yard saling where I don't have to justify anything I buy and they can carry it to the car!

What do you really want for mother's day?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
To go away for the weekend with Dave & the kids. My bday is the day before, and I hate it being so close to Mother's Day.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I expect to be able to spend the day with my feet propped up, and to be treated like the Queen I am. HARHARHARHAR..HEHEHEHEHEHHE..HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

DH and the kids usually are pretty nice on Mother's Day, we just hang out and I get the day off.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I just want to go camping, but then I couldn't be with my mom and she wouldn't like that. She doesn't want to camp, so we can't take her along.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I am excited about Mom's day for thie first time in years. We are hosting the big event and I cannot wait. We are having between 15-22 guest. Other than DH, the kids and I, we will have my mom, my granny, pappa, cousin & her hubby, his parents and grandparents, two aunts, two uncles plus one of their SO, MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL.

I am ordering a honey baked spiral cut ham, making two huge roasts, potato salad, green salad, seven layer salad, baked beans, crock pot carrots and potatoes, devil eggs, bread/rolls, three week slaw, mac 'n cheese and whatever else shows up.

Plus, DD turns 16 the Monday before. We are doing the family party for her that day and I have the most beautiful, huge cake coming for her. It is being done in black Fondant (SP?) with hot pink polka dots and "Happy Sweet 16 Ali" written in white on it.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
We are going to Md to some see some friends and get steamed crabs. Have been doing it for the past 3 years. I love it!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
My perfect mothers day would be:

sleep in till 9am
have my dh bring my coffee
lounge in bed for a hour watching tv or using my laptop
go down and eat brunch with the family
take a nap in the afternoon on the couch
just a easy dinner

maybe this year.....a girl can dream right.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I want pancakes... blueberry or chocolate chip... delivered to my bed with a cup of coffee.

That's it... breakfast in bed prepared by the two of them.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
To work all day on the unfinished projects I have without interuption. Someone eles to solve problems, cook food and clean up. Lately it seems as soon as I get settled and going on an finished project someone yells, "MOM" and I'm needed to do something. No one ever comes and finds me, they yell from where they are drives me nuts. Ah well.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have learned not to expect anything different on Mother's Day (does that sound pessemistic?)

We just don't do holidays around here. Even birthday's and major holidays are small here. So, we probably won't do anything differently than we do any other day.

I do like the whole day of yard saleing though... I took me a minute to figure out what you meant! For some reason, my mind went to wind saleing...but on grass???? I have no idea why, too early maybe! But if we did that, it would be a treat for DH too, he loves it! The only ones who would crab about it would be the kids! :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
First I want to call my Mom and wish her a Happy Mother's Day. I always send her a card but hearing her voice is better. Next I wait for the phone call from my kids. I hope it is a nice warm sunny day so my fiancee and I can get on the Harley and just go for a nice cruise. Then I want to go home and "let" him fix his lasagna.

Cat

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Oh goodness, for the past 4 years we have gone to "Day Out With Thomas". It was at a train station that was abotu 1.5 hours away. It was a long day but the kids loved it. We are trying to avoid that this year as my son has outgrown Thomas the Tank Engine.

My Dh and the kids usually go out and buy me some plants. That is good enough for me. Even less would be fine. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hubby and the kids make me breakfast in bed and we spend the day just going to church and hanging out as a family. The Sat before the girls and I are going to a day spa together.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The idea of yard saling the whole day sounds great. Maybe I could convince my dd and ds to go with me in the morning. My husband usually has to work (he's a police officer). We spend the afternoon at my sister's with our mother. She loves being with us and the grandkids. Her birthday is the week before so we celebrate both. But don't worry, she doesn't get cheated on the gifts! Not that she's worried about that, but we make sure we get her thoughtful useful gifts. Last year we all pitched in and got her a $200.00 gift certificate to Merle Norman. She loved it. She used it for massages. Which really helped with her osteoporosis.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We are having a dinner here at the house . My mom, MIL, and Godmother will be here, as well as our daughter and family and our son.What I want is for one of the gang to play tennis with me.No,"aughhh Mom, come on" business either.(I do know if it is nice we will play badminton.)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Since this will be my first Mother's day, I want Vic to remember LOL.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If the weather is nice my dh grills for my mom and I and one of the kids brings cake and I get my best present of all, thats all 7 of my grandkids in one day. I love it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have learned to expect nothing. Today is my birthday. Samething.

Reactions: LeeCee
1 - 20 of 42 Posts