Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having noticed many items we use often go up since the new year...the 500.00 a month budgeted does seem to go far for Us(family of 3)...but 600.00 seems to be a good budget amount...how is everyone else doing? Janine

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I stopped looking. Terrible I know, but better than freaking myself out. I was able to stay around $400 a month when we were in Ontario, but it pretty much doubled after we moved home. A little better I think this past month, as the teenager (+boyfriend) is away. But once school is back in next month it will go back to being through the roof.

I haven't noticed many actual price increases, but the decent sale prices have all but disappeared.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oops, I just realized that this was a Canadian Poll....Sorry about that, my figures probably don't apply.

I try to stay between 400-500 a month. I have noticed the prices creaping up though on items like milk and coffee etc.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops, I just realized that this was a Canadian Poll....Sorry about that, my figures probably don't apply.

I try to stay between 400-500 a month. I have noticed the prices creaping up though on items like milk and coffee etc.
Milk has not budged here yet...still 4.69+enviro feeand deposit...but the breat we use went from 1.57 in Jan 2011...to 1.97 in May.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Between 400 and 600 a month for a family of 7 in Ontario. Ad- matching, stock piling, having a garden, shopping sales and using coupons is the only way to fly for us. If I didn't, we'd easily be closer to 1000 a month (and our kids don't drink juice or pop, eat candy/junk food or prepared/frozen meals!) KD is a HUGE treat for them :)

Reactions: QM

·
Registered
540 Posts
My food budget for 4 is $500 a month (can't add more) and that also includes non-perishable items, like laundry, toiletries, cleaning supplies, health aids, etc..

It doesn't seem to be enough, but it's all we have..

·
Registered
713 Posts
We're at between 600-700/mth for a family of 4. This includes pet food and HBA.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is couponing bigger in ONT? Cause the coupons here in AB are for processed stuff...which we don't use often anyway...The farmers market has just this past week has started selling fruit and veggies...appparently the gardens are behind around here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry another foreigner-- I'm south of the border in central NY. Things are very pricey here and going up by the minute. I still spend about $100 a week for just myself and DH, 2 dogs and a cat. Some of that goes to stockpiling and part to DH's particular wants-- he is a very picky eater. He is in for a rude awakening however when his unemplyment runs out in 2 weeks and grocery budget drops to about $40-$50/wk.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry another foreigner-- I'm south of the border in central NY. Things are very pricey here and going up by the minute. I still spend about $100 a week for just myself and DH, 2 dogs and a cat. Some of that goes to stockpiling and part to DH's particular wants-- he is a very picky eater. He is in for a rude awakening however when his unemplyment runs out in 2 weeks and grocery budget drops to about $40-$50/wk.
Sorry about the unemployment...hope he finds something asap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't really counted but I would estimate about $300 a month for the two us. I live with my ex, we're now just friends and roommates and it's an excellent arrangement! :)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We have been able to reduce our grocery expenses over the past year with very little effort. This time last year we were spending between $700-$800 a month for two adults and two teenagers who eat like adults.

As of the end of July we are averaging $400 a month. DD moved earlier this month for college and is living in the dorms. Now, we are only buying for just the three of us. It looks like our average is going to drop to between $275-$325 a month.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For 2 of us we spend about $300 a month. Trying to get that down though.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
560 a month for 6 of us - 5 are teens or adults - one 10 yo
includes cleaning -paper - beauty - food - pet bunny
i had special food needs due to my fibro and IBS ( esp no beans )- my 14 yo has shellfish allergies- my 10 yo has to avoid too much dairy or red dye .

we eat very little frozen / processed stuff - occasional boxed mac and cheese for when my fibro is bad and my kids cook.

i think you need to have comparisons for your own area though to really know whats going on

IE for me - i would get close to 800 in food stamps for same size family if we had no income -
famliy i have spend 200 a week for 4 people
so thats 800 for 4 or would be 1200 for 6 for a month -i am at 1/2 of that so i feel good with that

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I'm not a Canadian either .... much further south. This thread screamed at me though. I was always REALLY awesome with the grocery budget. All of 2010 though I struggled to keep it around 400 a month and generally ended up more like 5 something. I averaged 479 a month for the year. The first 3 months of year I was determined and ended up averaging just under 400. In April things started to REALLY jump here and we're averaging 663 a month from April through August. July and August were both enough to make my head spin.

We are 2 adults, a 12yo, a 15yo, and 3 dogs. The 12 and 15 year olds are both bigger than the adults and play sports. I do believe the HUGE jump in July's bill ($914 :weeping:) was partially due to the 15 year olds 4 to 6 hour a day hard core conditioning/practice for soccer and cross country with his high school varsity teams. Overall though I think I'm in denial. I doubt I'll be able to hit $400 a month consistently ever again.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not a Canadian either .... much further south. This thread screamed at me though. I was always REALLY awesome with the grocery budget. All of 2010 though I struggled to keep it around 400 a month and generally ended up more like 5 something. I averaged 479 a month for the year. The first 3 months of year I was determined and ended up averaging just under 400. In April things started to REALLY jump here and we're averaging 663 a month from April through August. July and August were both enough to make my head spin.

We are 2 adults, a 12yo, a 15yo, and 3 dogs. The 12 and 15 year olds are both bigger than the adults and play sports. I do believe the HUGE jump in July's bill ($914 :weeping:) was partially due to the 15 year olds 4 to 6 hour a day hard core conditioning/practice for soccer and cross country with his high school varsity teams. Overall though I think I'm in denial. I doubt I'll be able to hit $400 a month consistently ever again.

Sorry this made me LOL...our friends took their 13 yr old son plus 2 13 yr old boys camping this summer...for one week...she said it cost them 400.00 in food...every morning they could eat 1 dozen eggs and a package of bacon w/ a loaf of bread and 2 litres of milk...then 2 hours later they were hungry and foraging for food...got to love growth spurts.

I think the US prices are going up as well. Hope you can get in closer to your goal.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
August we spent just over $350 to feed 2 adults, 3 teens, one child, and the dayhome kids(2 preschool and 2 toddlers). I use as many coupons as I can for the items I use only. The cereal boxes have been giving some great coupons, and with coupons for the cereal to start with, it's a great deal.

Not sure what September will be like, but hoping it's a good one!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I live in Saskatchewan and on average we spend anywhere between $300 - 500 per month for groceries/pet food & supplies/hba/cleaning supplies. There are 3 adults and 2 cats (the youngest 'adult' is my 18 yr son). Both ds and dbf are big eaters. That amount is in addition to what we currently have stockpiled....if I had no stockpile, the amount we spent each month would be alot higher. When I shop, 80% of what I buy is always on sale and if I have a coupon for it, I will use it with the sale. That being said, not everything we need goes on sale around here, let alone have a coupon for it. Some things we do have to pay full price on.....I noticed the price of cheese, eggs and milk and dairy creamer have gone up. Sugar has gone up a little bit too. Coffee has gone up big time, for a big can that I used to buy for 4.99 or even 5.99, it is now 12.99-16.99 .... that was a huge jump in price since January!

I haven't kept track in a long time on exactly how much I've been spending on groceries etc each month. I'll start that again in Sept.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
good grief that is once heck of a price jump for coffee. Thank goodness dh is the only one here that drinks coffee. I have been buying the big cans of it at Aldi and it went up from 4.99 to 5.49 a month or two ago. I have no idea what name brand large can of coffee goes for now at other stores.

We run about 300.00-400.00 for everything here. We used to be four people, ds just got married in July so he moved out but with the price of things going up it will probably stay the same.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts