Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried alot of things for my hands the skin is peeling ao my fingers the palm of my hands not just a little a whole bunch.... To the point that it hurts........ Right now I am slathering them in vasaline like the Dr said to./ Then I put on a cotton gloves. Nothing is working.
Fern

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
try aquaphor.....it works great!!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
you might try Bag Balm (find at drug stores) in a green square metal container.

Sounds like you have an allergy to something --- so some benadryl cream might help.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
i use either udder cream or hand lotion from Avon. They both work nicely. I agree with sunshine that you may have an allergy.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I used to get really chapped hands and dry patches on my wrist. I use Eucerin cream (it's really thick). I rub it on and then put white cotton gloves on over the top. I have also had to use neosporin to heal really raw/chapped patches.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Dh has a similar problem on two of his fingers. His dermatologist told him to use AmLactin Lotion. It is a little pricey, between $20 -$25 for about 12 oz. You do not need a prescription but you do have to ask the pharmacist for it, they keep it behind the counter. It really works well for him. I also use it and love it as well.

Hopefully you will be able to find something to work soon and you can begin to heal.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
This is gonna sound crazy, but slather them with Crisco then put on cotton gloves. Hospitals often use Crisco (although they don't call it that on your itemized list and they charge out the wazoo for it) Aquaphor is also great.

·
Registered
392 Posts
you might try Bag Balm (find at drug stores) in a green square metal container.
I was going to suggest the same thing. My husband one hand is a mess (burned with battery acid years ago) and this stuff works wonders!! Pretty inexpensive too. I think its around 7.00, but lasts a good amount of time. I know we had a hard time finding it around here. Just asked the pharmacist and they ordered it and had it the next day. So if you can't find it, you can ask the pharmacist.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
This is gonna sound crazy, but slather them with Crisco then put on cotton gloves. Hospitals often use Crisco (although they don't call it that on your itemized list and they charge out the wazoo for it) Aquaphor is also great.
Yep, I've seen that done at the nursing home where I work, but it was years ago. (Although I have no idea about the billing part, LOL.) One lady had terribly dry legs that would crack and bleed and they routinely used Crisco on them.

My hands and heels crack and bleed all winter long if I don't keep something on them. Vaseline (store brand) and Dove lotion have worked lately for me... but only if I use them daily. The Vaseline twice a day, the lotion whenever I think of it- at least twice a day, sometimes a lot more. If my hands are particularly bad I will cover the cracked parts in band-aids and neosporin overnight, and they are usually much better in the morning.

I've also learned that I can't use certain scented lotions (like Bath & Body Works) on those areas because the alcohol in the lotion actually makes my skin MORE dry.

DS is starting to have trouble with dry skin patches, and the doctor suggested Aquaphor/ Eucirin ointment. I've used it myself in the past and liked it. She also said not to use scented baby lotion on him for the same reason as I said above- the alcohol will cause his skin to be dry.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
100% lanolin. It is very thick & smells like bandaids, but it does wonders for tough skin problems. It cost about $5 for a 5 oz container. a little bit goes a long way. I have had the same container for over 3 years (its nearly empty now). Hope this helps you:)

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
If you know someone who is a Melaleuca rep, see if they can get you some RENEW. It is wonderful. It is the best thing I have found. I have a friend that buys it for me and gives it to me for gifts because she knows how much I like it.

·
8,714 Posts
~You got alot of suggestions already but I've had the best results with Burts Bees Lemon/Almond cuticle cream and banana hand cream. They're all-natural and don't sting even on broken skin. I slathered some on last night before bed, put on cotton gloves and my hands are lookin' good this morning.~

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have extremly sensative skin (along with a ton of allergies). The only two things that have worked for me is Crisco (plain) and coconut oil (looks like crisco- usually found in the cooking oil section or in health food store in the suppliment aisle). My skin will peel off all over if I don't keep everything oiled up. At night I am wearing sweats, socks and cotton gloves no matter what the temp is - lol.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not sure if you have this down in the US? Maybe it came from the US? Im not sure but it does work wonders: ZIMS CRACK CREAM :laugh: The name had me in stitches, the scent was horrid medicinal 'herbal' but you know what - it works! My fingers were cracking on the finger pad part and my hangnails were horrid! I do dishes and clean my bathroom w/o gloves on - stupid on my part. No wonder why my hands are cracked now - duh! :drama: but the bathroom wont clean itself!!

They do have an 'overnight' syrum formula and then a 'day lotion' formula. I just slather a lot on around my cuticles and let sit and soak in then I squirt a bit more and massage into my hands.....a few uses and you should be good as new!

A coworker has severe ecesema (how do you spell it?) and shes tried the expensive RX creams from doctors, OTC stuff and then tanning to try to 'lessen' it for her. What worked best was using diaper rash cream...Panaten (? not sure if thats what its called) and it worked for her. Shes a very happy camper and its very frugal compared to fancy prescription creams that wont work.

Hope your hands heal quick fern! *Hugs*

EDIT: You'll find the ZIMS CRACK CREAM in the Pharmacy section - back of the store with the 'diabetic' products/special foods or First Aid etc - OR ask the Pharmacists.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have had good luck with a tube of Aquafor.....alot of stores now have their own generic version which seems to work as well also. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts