Frugal Village Forums banner

what exactly is a tender perennial?

631 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  homesteadmamma 
#1 ·
I'm in zone 5. Does this mean I have to bring it in for winter? I have some seeds that are labelled tender perennials.

#2 ·
tender perennial n, adj
A perennial that cannot tolerate freezing weather. Tender perennials are usually listed as annuals, to the everlasting confusion of those of us who live in the tropics. In colder zones they are either treated as if they were annuals or relocated indoors for the winter.

Found this explanation online.HTH.:D

#3 ·
One thing I found about "tender perennials" though, is that if you cover them well in the fall, you shouldn't have to bring them in.

Sara, I live in zone 3 and we get much colder weather than you. Last year I planted a number of what was classified as "tender perennials" and I covered them well with leaves!! All of them survived.

What I do is covered them well with leaves, then put burlap over top of the leaves and a brick/rock at each corner of the burlap. The burlap allows them to still breathe and yet holds down the leaves so that they don't blow away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.