Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear what others are making to give as gifts this holiday season. I don't have any ideas yet, myself.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't have the talents that many of y'all have so I won't be making much of anything. I'll probably fix some of those hot chocolate jars for some of my neighbors with kids. I enjoy looking at the various crafting sites and dreaming of what I "could" do, but my things don't turn out like the pictures.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I have a bottle of homemade Kahlua for my bil & sil...I will be making a hungarian dish that takes hours to make gor my dad..My brother and nephews will get some homemade pumpkin bread & homemade cookie tray and my homemade microwave peanut brittle..my brothers girlfriend will get a bottle of homemade Bailey's Irish Cream ..My mil & fil will get homemade goodies also..not sure yet what I'm gonna make them...maybe a pumpkin roll? I might give some of my home canned chicken,meatloaf,beef in a wine sauce or applesauce as gifts also...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm planning to sew a pillow for my two year old son. Found some Curious George fabric, and he LOVES Curious George! I'm also thinking of making him a blanket - haven't quite decided on that one yet though.

I have no other plans set in stone for homemade gifts yet though. I've been perusing Pinterest and have found many good ideas, I just need to make final decisions on what to make for who.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I'll be making homemade bath salts for nieces, and homemade cookies for others (such as sis in law/bro in laws)

Reactions: MoneySavinDiva

·
Registered
694 Posts
A photo holder made from wood for my MIL. Perhaps an elephant picture made from buttons for my niece...but i need to find more buttons. Cookies, muffins, biscuits and squares for a bunch of people.

I had more ideas, but not enough time! Maybe next year.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Simple wood puzzles for the grand daughters (cut out of scrap wood we get free from a friend that does construction work)

Shrinky dink keychains, necklaces, etc. for various friends, grand daughters, etc.

Cable braided knit necklaces for dd and dd in-laws, and some friends.

jams, jellies, breads for neighbors , etc.

·
Registered
636 Posts
A photo holder made from wood for my MIL. Perhaps an elephant picture made from buttons for my niece...but i need to find more buttons. Cookies, muffins, biscuits and squares for a bunch of people.

Gosh! I wish you were near-by. I have a big box overflowing with buttons. I don't know why, but I've saved buttons for years and years. I think you could make a full size elephant with my buttons. :lol:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Pink and purple ones suebee?? I was gonna buy a pink and purple lot on etsy for $10 I think. I need those colors in a variety of sizes. If I buy them here individually ill be paying way too much. It would be super cute in a shadow box for my nieces room. She loves elephants.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'd have to get them out and look to see if I have any or many pink and blues. I know Michaels sells bags of buttons. I've never paid attention to see if they have bags in solid colors. I will look later today and see what I have. Most have come from clothes that have the extra buttons attached, some from things I've cut the buttons from before tossing out. Lots of plain white shirt-type buttons, I know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Simple wood puzzles for the grand daughters (cut out of scrap wood we get free from a friend that does construction work)
What a great idea! My father in law does construction - I bet I could get him to save me some wood and we could use our jigsaw to make some gifts!

I just thought of another great idea using wood - when my aunt took a woodworking class in high school she used 2x4's and cut them down to various sizes and even some different shapes (triangles, etc.) and made us some building blocks. We LOVED those building blocks and used them ALL of the time! I have all kinds of scrap 2x4's in the garage from various around the house projects - I could make my son a set of his very own building blocks!!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Yep - we did the building blocks for the girls before. . . and they still play with them. We did squares, rectangles, triangles, and cut some arches in some for bridges. . . we also cut thick dowel rods into various lengths for towers, etc.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do any of you subscribe to the Better Homes and Garden site?

Fun-to-Make Christmas Holiday Crafts from Better Homes and Gardens

I get e-mail updates all the time. This one has a bunch of really attractive ideas for
Christmas decorating crafts and while not necessarily "gifts," you might be able to use some of the ideas. This site has many different areas including home decorating, cooking, gift ideas, etc. Also, I personally enjoy getting seasonal decorations as early gifts. We used to do that in the office where I worked.

The first one on the link - the cone-shaped trees...I think you could make those using epsom salts in place of the candy. I might try it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I give family members (and the grand's teachers) simple knitted dish cloths because people like them and they need replacements PLUS it's something I can do while watching tv. Also doing muslin tea/dish towels this year because I love mine. Simple embroidery on them, some serged around and some with crocheted edges. For my darling daughters and families, I am doing special Dr Who dishtowels! Found some fabric online and a little goes a long way for edges and appliques. They are all HUGE fans and are going to love this!

·
Registered
636 Posts
ressa, one of the things I love and I bet you could easily make....those dish towels that have something on one end that you can loop over the rail on the stove or some other rail-type of thing. They usually have either a button hole or velcro closure, and sometimes tie strings. I've seen them with crocheted tops. I usually see them at craft shows and frankly, they can be rather expensive at $6-7 each for what was essentially a cheap dish towel. The only two I have left are just about ready for the garbage can and I hate that. Actually, they were ready for the garbage a while back but I don't have any others. They are so convenient when you're cooking or doing dishes and want just a quick wipe of the hands.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Boy so many great ideas-great talent here, that is for sure!!!! I will be making a TON of stuff, everyone will be getting knitted socks, and the Mother in laws will be getting huck weaved blankets, my oldest is out on her own so I will be re-doing some furniture for her. The neighbors are getting homemade cheese and jam, and last but not least everyone at work is getting homemade fudge and "soup in a jar"......I may add more later....

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
So far I have made a set of fingerless gloves from this pattern: Ravelry: Peace Wristwarmers pattern by Jen Geigley

and this cabled headwarmer as a gift for my sister-in-law: Ravelry: Anthropologie Inspired Braided Headwrap pattern by Jen Geigley

I was able to make both items from one skein of Bernat Roving.

I would like to make this for my newest baby nephew and my son: Ravelry: Chinook Knit Helicopter pattern by Sarah Walter

Other people I would like to make gifts for include: Wesley's teacher, Moo's daycare provider, my niece, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law.

I will be making snack type treats for my deployed cousin, two sets of neighbors, some old gentlemen that live around the block from us, a single Army friend of the hubby, the sweet people I sit with at church, and for all of the police officers that have to work on Christmas Eve and Day.

I want to make my neighbor (older fellow) a set of knitted slippers. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I want to make my neighbor (older fellow) a set of knitted slippers. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions?
Nice things! I particularly like the wrist warmers.

May I make one observation regarding knitted slippers for an older neighbor? I have a pair made by a friend and coincidentally, got them out this AM. They are extremely slippery on the bottom on the tile floors so I don't think I will continue using them for that reason. We "olders" don't want to risk a broken hip. Now if you can come up with an idea for something to slip-proof them, that would be great because they are definitely warm.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I love reading about all the creative things going on around the holidays............some neat ideas here!

...but i need to find more buttons.

Do you have a JA"s near you? See you are in Canada and not aware if Jo Ann's is up there.........they have solid colored buttons.......check with one of the fabric 'chain' stores that are in Canada............they should have them.............I would check around more before I paid that price on etsy.........that is a bit high.......IMHO!! How about thrift stores?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts