Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oreo balls, buckeye (peanut butter cover in chocolate) sugar cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies hubby's fave. chex mix and on Christmas eve a big bowl on onion dip to go with chips and crackers.May make some homemade hot chocolate mix have had bad luck with this before going to try to find another recipe for it. I am sure grandma will have some of her own. I know frost on the pumpkin cake, pecan pralines. for dessert banana pudding, apple pies. This all sounds so yummy and fattening. lol MAKE ME HUNGRY LADIES SO i STEAL SOME OF YOUR IDEAS.hugs pen and sassyyy7yyyy7yyy7 ( sassy typed that )

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Pizzelle. I inherited Mom's electric pizzelle press.
The hardest part is trying to not eat them as they come off the press :).

·
Registered
618 Posts
Coconut milk fudge, snickerdoodles, shortbread, pumpkin and pies, truffles, candied orange peel, amaranth candy, coconut milk festive ice cream-all gluten free.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I'll be opening a can of Pillsbury orange cinnamon rolls christmas morning. I know that sounds corny, but I only buy them on holidays so they are special to us. And unlike home-made, there aren't so many of them we'll still be eating stale rolls 5 days later.

Since we'll have friends over I'll be making a batch of Amazing Chicken Tortilla soup, which has become a holiday tradition between our families. It makes an endless pot of soup and is warming adn hearty on a cold winter night. Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup! Recipe - Food.com - 108231

Reactions: craftypam

·
Registered
493 Posts
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Cornflake wreath cookies
- Oreo balls
- Chocolate Coated Peanut Butter Crackers
- Pretzels dipped chocolate w/sprinkles

All very easy to make & yummy!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sunday is my annual cookie baking marathon with 3 friends. We've been doing this together for at least 10 years (no one can remember exactly what year we started). And before that, I used to do it alone. That's a lot of cookies over the years.

Last month we had dinner together and finalized our list of 12 different cookies, then divided them up; we each make the dough ahead of time for 3 kinds of cookies and shape/bake/finish them together.

This year my 3 doughs are toasted coconut shortbread, Mexican wedding cookies, and dark chocolate cherry cookies.

Others on the list are Santa's Whiskers, gingersnaps, peanut butter blossoms (with dark instead of milk chocolate kisses), and half a dozen others I can't remember right now.

Happy baking everyone,

Kara

·
Super Moderator
19,845 Posts
Not much. There's only the four of us and two of us are diabetics while one is seriously overweight. So sweets aren't a good idea since I think it's just plain cruel to give people food that is poison to them.

But I'm going to make some chili for the freezer for a gift, some sesame sticks, and maybe some more stuff like that. Two of the people we give gifts to are elderly and don't need or want much of anything, so food is always good, especially for the bachelor who doesn't cook. I'll probably make some gift in a jar soup mixes too because they went over very well last year.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Sunday is my annual cookie baking marathon with 3 friends. We've been doing this together for at least 10 years (no one can remember exactly what year we started). And before that, I used to do it alone. That's a lot of cookies over the years.

Last month we had dinner together and finalized our list of 12 different cookies, then divided them up; we each make the dough ahead of time for 3 kinds of cookies and shape/bake/finish them together.

This year my 3 doughs are toasted coconut shortbread, Mexican wedding cookies, and dark chocolate cherry cookies.

Others on the list are Santa's Whiskers, gingersnaps, peanut butter blossoms (with dark instead of milk chocolate kisses), and half a dozen others I can't remember right now.

Happy baking everyone,

Kara

Kara, could you please post the recipe's of he cookies you are making? Thanks,Brenda

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Great Idea Brenda about getting together w/friends & baking them together. I'm make my own at home this yr I'll be making Buckeyes, Oreo balls, pinwheels, nut cups, snowballs.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Martha Washington balls
Peppermint patties
Chex mix
Sugar cookies
Oatmeal-raisin cookies
I've seen a few other recipes I would like to try if I can find the time.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Never heard of Oreo balls before so I looked it up.....oh my..... I just HAVE to add those to my list!! :D

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I need to find recipes that ship well. i.e. wont melt, wont completely fall apart into a big gooey mess.

Last year I did:
peppermint white chocolate bark
chocolate and white chocolate covered pretzel sticks rolled in red/green sprinkles
eskimo kisses (some people loved some hated, I was iffy on them)
"coal" cookies which were ganache covered choc chip cookies

Um, I think that's it. So today I gave myself a deadline of making a final decision on what I will make. I am also trying a new recipe for my mom, orange coconut ball cookies.

I'm thinking maybe I will do bar cookies, maybe those will ship better. Most of the above melted, oops ha!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm hosting a Christmas party at home for about 15 people. So far the plan is to do a bunch of dips and a bunch of sweets, everything homemade.

- hummus
- Greek eggplant salad
- tzatziki
- olive paste & ouzo dip
- soft pretzels
- breadsticks
- pita (white)
- veggies (celery, carrots, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, red pepper strips)
- and I'm going to try to get someone to make mini meatballs and bring them.
- if I have time (they take like 4 hours), I'll make Greek cheese triangles (tyropita).

- dark chocolate truffles with cocoa powder
- dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate pieces (melted, swirled together, cut out with cookie cutter)
- classic chocolate chip cookies
- white chocolate truffles with lime and coconut
- rich dark chocolate brownies
- almond, raisin, anise biscotti
- milk chocolate truffles with colored sprinkles
- something with peppermint and chocolate but not sure what yet.

- mulled wine

I can make almost everything in advance. The only thing that needs to be made day-of is the pita bread and the soft pretzels.

I have made most of that stuff before except for the truffles but I have a truffle book and it looks easy.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Let's see:

* oreo balls
* chex mix
* almond biscotti
* the peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses in the middle
* peppermint bark

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm going to have to look up oreo balls - never heard of them, but they sure are popular on this thread! Maybe I'm missing out!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I need some very easy but very yummy ideas so that I don't show up empty-handed to my SIL's house for Christmas. This thread looks like the best thread to check out! :D

I looked up Oreo balls (which I've never heard of). I found this recipe... Easy OREO Truffles recipe Is this the recipe you use or something else? If I made them now and froze them in a tupperware container, will they taste and look the same when I put them on a plate at Christmas?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Nanaimo bars, pumpkin cookies, gingerbread men and I think some cookie bars this year. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Kara, could you please post the recipe's of he cookies you are making? Thanks,Brenda
I don't have any of the recipes in digital form and I don't have time in the evenings to get on the computer and type them out. Sorry! I honestly don't mean to sound churlish; I simply don't have time. I do know that we aren't making anything exotic, so probably all of the recipes can be found by Googling.

Kara

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Has anyone used this recipe for Snickerdoodles? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mrs-siggs-snickerdoodles/ (That's another cookie I don't remember ever eating, but I want to try it!) Do you have to add cream of tarter? What does it do in the recipe? I hate going out to buy stuff I don't usually use in recipes if you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts