Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...than at a local grocery store?

I bought the big 3lb bag of Craisins on Amazon last week because it was definitely cheaper than those 12oz bags at the store, and I thought about what else I should maybe buy from there regularly.

What else have you bought there in bulk or even regular-size that saves you money?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We are going to start buying hubby's razors at Amazon through their Subscribe and Save program. They are much cheaper there than at Target.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've found that with the 30% AmazonMom discount and then the 15% off Subscribe and Save makes diapers a good deal.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have 3 types of breakfast cereal on subscribe and save combined with gold box deals, so I receive packs of 4 boxes of cereal every month much cheaper than I could buy. (Kids think it's a treat because it's a name brand instead of their regular Aldi's! lol)

I have coconut oil, real maple syrup and some coffees on subscribe and save-got great prices on those days and they seem to be locked in. I can live with that!

I keep waiting for a great deal on tp, but so far it hasn't been that great.

Tried the pumpkin, and now wish I had that on subscribe and save when it was that price.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't do the subscribe and save because since it's just me, when I buy bulk, I don't need to do it that often.

I have bought PG Tips tea bags. They're a little cheaper there. I'm watching for a good price on Kraft sandwich spread, one of the few things I'm brand loyal to. I've also bought the individual salad dressing packets. They seemed expensive, but I can't find them in any of the places I shop here, and it makes salad for work easier.

My five star deal was one day when I was randomly checking a few things - I found Kraft grated Romano cheese, 12 pack for 22.89 - that's about 1.90 per 8 oz canister. I checked just now and it's three times that.

Groceries here are considerably cheaper in my area than they are for many of you, so Amazon's prices in general, seem to be about the same or higher. I just check now and then to see if I come across any deals on something I need at the moment.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'll have to check out the spices-never thought of that. I am just heartsick when I buy a jar now and they are only half full.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
i haven't really found any deals but I haven't spent hours looking either.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't do the subscribe and save because since it's just me, when I buy bulk, I don't need to do it that often.
FYI, you can sign up for the subscribe and save to receive the discount then cancel the subscription through your account at no penalty right after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll have to check out the spices-never thought of that. I am just heartsick when I buy a jar now and they are only half full.

Thanks for the tip!
I have never bought spices online because there is no way to validate the product's age; but, Costco's spice-line is of great quality and quite reasonably priced. Also, if you have access to a Cash & Carry you will find restaurant quality product with killer prices. Spices have also been spotted at the Grocery Outlet and Big Lots! - just be leary of the product's age as spices lose their potency over time.

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
men-r-optional~Thanks for the tips, but I don't have any of those stores here. I do have a Big Lots about 20 minutes away, and that's it.
My options are so limited (I always feel a wee bit jealous when you all talk about these stores.)

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
OT, but I bought forty vanilla beans on eBay lately for about $14. I had been paying $2 per bean at a food co-op, so this was a huge savings. I'm going to remember eBay in the future for things like this. I made ten pounds of vanilla sugar with ten beans, vanilla using ten beans and two liters of Smirnoff vodka, and more vanilla using ten beans and two liters of Cruzan coconut rum. I'm trying to decide what to do with the last ten beans and may make vanilla powder.

I've also been able to order a case (four gallon jugs) of lime juice from our local grocery for around $50, much cheaper than buying the tiny bottles in the stores and much cheaper than paying shipping from anywhere online.

I'll have to look harder at Amazon and see if there's anything I use that would be less expensive there. About the only food I've bought there is yogurt starter but that wasn't cheaper than what I've bought in our area, it was just more convenient at the time.

Thanks for bringing up this topic!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Diapers, real maple syrup, hershey cocoa and steel cut oats. Plus I get free 2 day shipping with the mommy's club thing.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Gluten-free pasta
I bought a case of Tinkyada brown rice pasta because it was 3.50 a pound, which is way cheaper than any I've found here. I've since heard that Trader Joe's sells a brown rice pasta that appears to be identical and is made in the same place but only costs $2 a pound. (Person who told me about it suspects it's Tinkyada in different packaging.

I have purchased brown rice flour for about 1.50 a pound, which is cheaper than the $2 I usually pay. I also bought a case of EnerG gluten free saltins for cheap.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I bought a case of Tinkyada brown rice pasta because it was 3.50 a pound, which is way cheaper than any I've found here. I've since heard that Trader Joe's sells a brown rice pasta that appears to be identical and is made in the same place but only costs $2 a pound. (Person who told me about it suspects it's Tinkyada in different packaging.

I have purchased brown rice flour for about 1.50 a pound, which is cheaper than the $2 I usually pay. I also bought a case of EnerG gluten free saltins for cheap.
Amazon is "celebrating" Celiac month, and have a lot of gluten-free items for sale. Coupled with their Subscribe-and-Save, you can get up to 40% off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts