Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a bit of real whipping cream and half and half that is well past the expiration date.  I know I should just throw it out, but does anyone know if it can still be used for something?  Obviously, I know it can't be used as whipping cream and half and half.  All items are still completely sealed and never opened.

Does it turn into sour cream?  Please help. I've looked online and so far can't find anything.

I can always just throw it out, but I wondered if anyone had any idea or any cookbooks with info in them.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Depending on how far out they are, they may still be fine. Those two items actually last a VERY long time (they are usually ultra pasteurized) and if they are not open, they will last even longer.

I would open them and see if they have sour-milk smell. If they don't, I would say they are probably fine to use as normal, but I would use them up ASAP. I personally would sweeten and whip the cream and then put dollops on waxed paper and freeze. Once frozen, I would pop them into a freezer bag, and use on cocoa or coffee or something later. The half and half, I would probably use in a soup and freeze it for later use.

Obviously, if they smell funny or look funny, I wouldn't use them. I''ve use stuff long past the sell-by date.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I agree with Kimberly. Expiration dates are only a guide. The cream may be past the date but still fine to use, particurlarly if they've never been opened and exposed to air.

I'd smell them and if they smell ok, have a little taste. If they taste ok, they'll be good to use. But once opened, use them as fast as possible.

This link may help you decide:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1041/is_12_82/ai_n6354334#continue

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts