Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was decluttering a dresser today, I was wondering just what we've done in the past few weeks to help our environment.

- we purchased 75# of potatoes from a Hutterite colony, thus eliminating the plastic bags that most potatoes come in.

- we recycled all our papers, cans and pop bottles/cans.

- we've stopped drinking pop at the beginning of last week, thus eliminating pop bottles and cans completely. The bottles I mentioned from before we made this major change in our eating habits.

- I've cut back our water consumption which isn't much, but it has brought out water bill down $14.00 over 3 months. Every little bit helps.

How have you helped the environment?

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Good question!

~tomorrow I am picking up my order from the Country Store of flour, sugars, vinegar, raisins, oatmeal etc. I did this last year, bought in bulk and it was wonderful and saved LOTS of money and packaging. Great not running to the store for flour and sugar all the time. The flour and sugar comes in 40 kg. bags.

~hung laundry on line

~recycle or burn papers, cans, bottles

~ ordered 100's of "little trees" from the township to go across our back fence row and in years to come we will have a nice wind block and beautiful trees.

I'm sure there is more........

:)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Well, I am a city girl here, so my contribution is a little different

I cleaned out the "trash" only can and put everything that could be recycled out of that into the "recycling" can (we separate trahs here, but my kids don't get it!)

Walked to the store instead of drove

turn off a light every time I leave a room, it is becoming a habit for me (only):(

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I purchased an nice large reusable mesh bag to use at the market instead of using plastic or paper bags.

LOL Robin, I turn off lights as a habit too, it drives my non-frugal co-workers crazy, I am always turning off the lights in the med room and the storerooms.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I started making my own laundry soap, so no more empty bottles or boxes in the trash.........

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
We have a recycling box that gets picked up on trash day...which I put in plastic bottles and glass jars.

I took all my papers, magazines, and junk mail to the recycling bins, as well as cardboard.

I took my cans to trade in for a few cents for the change jar.

I am a fanatic about the lights, I am always going behind dh and turning off the lights. I would burn candles all the time if I lived alone...lol....

You all have given me some ideas....any one else with more recycling ideas???

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
We planted a dozen white pine seedlings yesterday and we are getting ready for a big yard sale so we'll be recycling things to other people instead of throwing them in the landfill.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We are putting all plastic, glass, and can containers into the recycling bin for pick-up. Also, the County dump has a fabric recycling bin where they take unuseable fabrics to be recycled (others like clothes that are still in good enough shape but unwearable go to the inter-faith store). I too am using the 2 mesh bags when I go to the grocery -- cuts down on all the plastic bags, even though the grocery says they will recycle them. Plus, when you use the mesh bags in this area, you get 3 cents off on each bag used. A few small steps for me --

Julie

:tigger:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts