Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up a beef brisket on sale the other day (too cheap to pass up, less than half price). its a big lump of meat, lol. i've never had it before and also have no idea how to cook or prepare it. i looked up some recipes on allrecipes.com but i still don't get it.

can anyone help me out please?

:)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I beleive a beef brisket is corned beef.
You would bring to a boil and then simmer cover for about 2 hours (that is how I make mine) andwiches on rye with swiss is good for by itself with mustard....

Eileen

·
Registered
933 Posts
oh i would love to find a brisket at half price! we use ours in bbq. this is the south, we use everything in bbq... that being said i put mine in a slow cooker. (none of these are exact measurements, i just add till it smells good!) 1 can of beef broth
liquid smoke
seasoned salt
garlic salt

when its finished i shred ours and serve with bbq sauce, either on rolls or on a plate with mashed potatoes. man im hungry for some brisket now.... if you have a smoker you can rub the dry ingredients on it and smoke it too.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
oh i would love to find a brisket at half price! we use ours in bbq. this is the south, we use everything in bbq... that being said i put mine in a slow cooker. (none of these are exact measurements, i just add till it smells good!) 1 can of beef broth
liquid smoke
seasoned salt
garlic salt

when its finished i shred ours and serve with bbq sauce, either on rolls or on a plate with mashed potatoes. man im hungry for some brisket now.... if you have a smoker you can rub the dry ingredients on it and smoke it too.

We bbq it here too! I can't wait to find a brisket on sale so we can start BBQing again!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I beleive a beef brisket is corned beef.
You would bring to a boil and then simmer cover for about 2 hours (that is how I make mine) andwiches on rye with swiss is good for by itself with mustard....

Eileen
Actually, corned beef is made from beef brisket. Corned beef is a beef brisket that is brined.

A beef brisket is a fairly tough piece of beef. You need to cook it in liquid for 4-5 hours in the oven to make sure it is tender. You could also cook it in the crock pot. You can just use beef broth or wine with bbq sauce and just let it cook away in the oven. It makes great sandwiches.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I discovered the joys of brisket while living in Oklahoma--seems to be very popular there. Here is an excellent recipe for Sweet and Savory Brisket. It is super-easy and my family loves it.

1 (3 - 4 pound) trimmed beef brisket, halved
⅓ cup grape jelly
1 cup ketchup
1 (1 ounce) packet dry onion soup mix
¾ teaspoon black pepper

Instructions:
Place half brisket in slow cooker. In bowl, combine jelly, ketchup, soup mix and pepper and spread half over meat.

Top with remaining brisket and pour remaining ketchup mixture over top. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until meat is tender. Slice brisket and serve with cooking juices.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Saucy Beef Brisket

1 (5 lb.) beef brisket
1-1/2 cups ginger ale
1-1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 (1 lb.) package baby carrots
6 small red potatoes, quartered

Place brisket, fat side up, in an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan.

Stir together ginger ale, ketchup, and teriyaki sauce; pour over brisket.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 3 hours. Add carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook 30 more minutes or until brisket and vegetables are tender.

Remove brisket and vegetables from pan, reserving sauce mixture in pan; let stand 20 minutes. Cut brisket across the grain into thin slices using a sharp knife. Pour sauce over sliced brisket and vegetables to keep moist.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Brisket is popular here in Texas too...never even had it before we moved here LOL. The best thing on it is Claude's brisket sauce. Not sure if you can find it where you are but it is yummy. We marinade it overnight then cook very slowly in the oven in more sauce for a long time. Then you must have ranch beans and cole slaw with it ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey everyone - thank you so much for the responses!!

i have never heard of liquid smoke, sounds very exotic :D - can anyone tell me what that is? i am not familiar with ranch beans either - help? there are a lot of ingredients on this site that we don't have (or have a different name)

can't wait to try the recipes - i'll let you know how i go!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Liquid smoke and ranch beans

Liquid Smoke is a food ingredient used to add a smokey flavor, similar to what is obtained when cooking over an open wood fire. The product is produced by burning hardwood chips (notably hickory) and condensing the smoke particles with water into a liquid form. The liquid is then scrubbed and filtered to remove all impurities. It is most often added to sauces and marinades to flavor meat, poultry, and seafood. (From Wikipedia)

Ranch Style Beans are a brand name product from ConAgra foods. They are basically pinto beans cooked with a blend of southwestern spices that go well with steaks, barbeque and mexican food.

That's about as much help as I can be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts