Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it. Almost every time I watch House Hunters, this is brought up...

Like OMG, the rooms and closets are perfect..but the kitchen doesn't have granite countertops..how will I ever function in the kitchen? :skept:

Someone fill me in. :laugh:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't have them, but one of my MILs does. I LOVE how I can take stuff right out of the oven and put it on them, I also like how you can use them as a cutting board.

I think for people that don't cook as much as we do; it's a fashion/style thing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I may be wrong but I heard that you have to be careful what you clean the granite counter tops with. May have heard wrong or been misinformed. I like the look of granite counter tops but don't want to pay the price of what they cost.

Reactions: kcsmom76

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
No kidding! I mean, they're pretty and all, but I've got better things to spend my $$ on.
PLUS - how about all these families with one toddler who suddenly find that 3200 square feet is 'cramped'!! It just kills me.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
"oh, it doesn't have stainless appliances..." whine.

gee, are these people coached ahead of time?

·
Registered
656 Posts
If I ever redo my kitchen, I'll have corian countertops. The counter by the stove will have a shallow channel routed into it, about 1/3 inch wide, to put eggs on so they don't roll off.

Reactions: cab54

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Okay, the thing that gets me on House Hunters is the double vanity - "Ooh look it has the double sinks we were looking for", "Well, it's nice, but it doesn't have the double sink", "Look honey, double sinks!" EVERY FREAKING COUPLE talks about double sinks in the bathroom.

Am I the only person in the world who goes to the bathroom ALONE!?!?

ETA: My mother has a granite countertop in the bathroom and you have to polish it constantly, every spot shows

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Okay, the thing that gets me on House Hunters is the double vanity - "Ooh look it has the double sinks we were looking for", "Well, it's nice, but it doesn't have the double sink", "Look honey, double sinks!" EVERY FREAKING COUPLE talks about double sinks in the bathroom.

Am I the only person in the world who goes to the bathroom ALONE!?!?

ETA: My mother has a granite countertop in the bathroom and you have to polish it constantly, every spot shows
I know what you mean! I guess my house would be on the list of too small master bathroom. It is big enough for it to function, it does not have double sinks, just one with a counter height vanity, a toilet and a shower that is large. No fancy bathtub. There is one in the hall bathroom. I don't use that either, except to shave my legs. We do have a linen closet in the bathroom. It is updated with new vanity and sink, but according to that show people would just shake their head and say no way Jose.

We just did redid the kitchen and did put in black granite countertops they looks great, but to have them look shiny and not streaky after I wipe off the countertops I have to dry them with a towel or they look horrible. All water droppy and streaky. It does not take that long to do and it is worth the difference it makes. With granite that has more variation in it you probably don't have to do that, but with solid black everything shows. Even more than white. At least I know when something is on them.

Also the sq footage of my house would not compare to those that got cramps in 3600 sq feet my house is only 1650 with 4 bed/2bath
It is plenty big for the four of us.

I could not imagine paying the utilities for those huge places!! That is where I would say "No Way Jose!"

·
27,948 Posts
"Travertine" "tray ceilings" "Closets too small, I can't even fit my shoes in here... what closet are you going to use honey?" I think you have too many shoes & clothes lady. Hubby and I share a one door closet that's super small.
"Bathrooms too small and there are only 3 of them." Well how about one bathroom with no vanity and a regular tub and toilet? Truth be told I do long for those nice showers with the rain shower heads & the jets though, lmao.
"I'm not sure our bed will fit in here & there isn't a sitting area." I sleep and get dressed in my room, not sit around on sofas watch tv and entertain guests. I do that in the living room.
Sure it's their money they are probably over extending themselves with but man, many just sound so kingly. I'm glad I'm happy with the basics.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have granite...it's nice and easy to clean. The house came with it, it was in no way on our *list* Dh and I both get ready at the same time in the morning, and we have double sinks...also nice, but we had them in our 70's ranch house too. As for utilities...this house costs LESS to heat and cool than our old house that was 1/2 the size. It is better built, better insulated, better windows, better HVAC system, etc.
The big thing on my must have list was a utility room!!! That was a big selling point for me with this house....

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Our house does not have granite countertops.I was never so silly as to put a hot pan on the countertop, and I don't have the need to.I think they look nice in new modern homes and would be a sell for many.Not my type of home.We do have app.5,000 sq. feet and two people living here.We have our own bathrooms, each with one sink.I am glad, I don't want to share a bathroom with anyone.To each his own.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I love double sinks. I do my business in private, however, hubby and I are often in the bathroom getting ready, doing makeup, brushing teeth, etc. at the same time.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
At this point in my life if I was looking for a new house these would be on my wish list.

Bright sunny eat in kitchen
Large pantry (I use a spare room now)
Large utility room (mine is in the garage now)

I would want things updated. We have owned two houses so far and have done a ton of work on both, I would want to take a break from that if we could.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I have granite countertops in my bathrooms. It wasn't much more expensive than other ones they had. It was worth the money, too. The only thing about granite countertops is that if water sits on it, it'll leave a water ring and that's gross. I have laminate countertops in the kitchen and well, they're good to a point. They aren't heat resistant and they'll crack if you manage to drop something on it that's really heavy.

Honestly for the next house, I'd want either Corian or granite. It's much better if you do a lot of cooking and use your countertops pretty regularly. The cost of granite exceeds the cost of anything else, but it's worth it in the end. We're having issues looking for ones that do have either Corian or granite, but we figure that we can have a new one put in when we renovate the kitchen.

Laminate countertops aren't hard to install, but they will show the seals if you have to seal two pieces together. With granite, you can have it cut to the exact size and it's easier to install.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
I think it's just the modern trendy thing to do. There's really no functional basis for preferring granite over some other equivalent surface material. Stainless appliances are the same, it's just the trend right now.

While you can, apparently, ask more for a kitchen with granite counters, houses in this neighborhood will never go for a price that would pay us back for having one installed, so it's not going to happen here. And I don't really like the spotty texture of granite.

What kills me in those shows is people who complain about how "dated" a 1980's or 1990's kitchen looks. Honey, my kitchen is older than your mother. The other one is "small" bathrooms that are as big as our master bedroom. Get real!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Not sure, I love marble , copper, or concrete myself. I did my own copper counters in my Victorian. By the way when I moved from California and was looking for a new home, we had a few come back with radon, more then likely from the granite countertops as it was concentrated in the kitchen in many of the homes.

Here is the information on dangers of granite counters, that I found in my research. I do have someone in my family with lung damage from a work situation, so I have to be careful. With that said I have noticed on this board it will be important to say.... this is what worked for my family, if you have granite counters and works for you, great they are beautiful. No I am not putting your or the granite industries choice down. lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I want smooth, tough, Corian, one piece sink/counter, no gunk getting stuck under anything. No stainless steel in my kitchen. I did my time with stainless in food service. We have one sink and DH shaves before we both shower, and I'm usually shaving my legs when he gets out and finishes in front of mirror/sink. I prefer putting makeup on without an audience thank you. What I think is strange about House Hunters is how many people walk into a house and just drool over a stupid window. "Oh wow, that's a really nice window. I love that window." Huh? It's a window like any other window, what you haven't seen a window before? Which leaves me to believe that yes they coach these people to say these idiotic things. Now I could and would drool over a sunken/Roman style tub or a huge walk in open shower. You just don't see those everyday.

Cat

·
Registered
62 Posts
our kitchen is horrendously outdated but amazingly enough functions just fine! we joke about what it will be like someday to crank out our fabulous meals in a "real" kitchen!! it's long galley style kitchen and the crossroads of life in our house, plus i usually have a 90# bulldog sprawled on the floor keeping me company.

do i oogle for a moment over them fancy touch on/touch off faucets? oh yeah. or those to die for new fangled dishwashers? a gas stove? a place to hang pots and pans? a nice big island in the center of a nice BIG kitchen? i could go on....but reality says today i have beat up cupboards and off white countertops (what were they thinking???) a non-functioning DW, a functional electric 4 burner stove, windowless oven (have to go by smell!) and somehow manage to feed ourselves in such primitive conditions!!! LOL

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.